Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please comment on my current profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wahington U., U Texas, U Colorado, ASU, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please comment on my current profile [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 17:09
Hi Alex

I'm a 29 year-old Hispanic male and Military Officer (US Army) aiming to apply in R1 for Fall 2012 matriculation. My big questions are:

- What are my chances for getting into my target schools?
- What are the main weaknesses in my current profile and how can I most effectively address them?

Education
-Bachelors in Economics from a state university with 3.51/4.0 GPA.
-MA in Economics from the same university (Concentration: Econometrics) (3.51/4.0 GPA).

Work Experience
-US Army (2005-Present)
-ROTC Cadet
-Engineer Officer (Completed OBC and Captain’s Career Course, although I don’t think it matters on my applications)
-Deployed to Iraq as Combat Engineer Platoon Leader for 12 months
-Currently a Company Commander

GMAT
Aiming for 700+. Realistically expecting 630 - 680. Just started to prepare (tough year) and plan to take the GMAT on 30JUN11 allowing time for a retest.

Leadership Experience & Volunteer
-Mostly Army based:
-Operations and Training Officer
-Cultural Awareness Instructor
-Academics Officer

Language & Travel & Extras
-Basic proficiency in Spanish, German, and Arabic
-Deployed to Iraq
-Been to nearly every US Army base stateside for training or stationing.
-I am athletic and team sport oriented (Intramural soccer, tennis, football, and baseball)

Target Schools
1. Leeds (UC-Boulder)
2. McCombs (UT-Austin)
3. Eller (UA-Tempe)
Long Shots
1. Olin (Washington U.)
2. Tepper (Carnegie Mellon)

Post MBA Plans
-Eventually consulting or strategic planning, but estimate that this will be a long road. I plan to pursue Finance to get a solid base and build some experience post-MBA working in the finance sector.

Why am I leaving the Army?
-This was the plan.

Very Respectfully,
CPT U
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Please comment on my current profile [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 19:44
Shoot higher. Up your expectations.

Keep in mind that a good number of the military candidates applying to the top b-schools don't have one thing that you have: a rigorous quantitative academic background with a decent GPA (and while econ isn't uncommon, econometrics is a bit more hardcore on the math). So that's a plus in distinguishing yourself from other military officers without having to waste even one word of an essay to highlight it (because the facts speak for themselves).

If you get 700+:

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton: slight stretches but within reach that they're worth a serious shot. Choose 2 or all 3.

Kellogg, Sloan, Booth, Columbia, and Tuck: you'll have a reasonable shot. Choose 2 - 3

Duke, Darden, Michigan, Haas, NYU, Yale, Cornell, UCLA: while there aren't any "true" safeties with any US top 16 school for any applicant anymore, you'l have a pretty good shot at any of these. Choose 1-2.

USC, Georgetown, Texas, Tepper, Indiana, Purdue, UNC: safeties. You should be able to get into any of these without a problem. You may or may not want to choose any. If you do, choose 1 at most.

Now, if you get mid-600s to high-600s, then the list goes down a notch (i.e. H/S/W become stretches; Kellogg, Sloan, Booth, CBS, Tuck become slight stretches; Duke, Darden, Michigan, etc. become sweet spots).

What I suggest is to take a look at these top tier schools. If you're interested in mgmt/strat consulting, any of the top 8 schools are great (it wont' really matter which one you go to because they're all priority schools for the consulting firms; for schools outside the top 8, look at Duke, Darden, and Michigan). Contact the veterans' clubs at these schools (most top b-schools have enough military vets to be able to form their own MBA student clubs, and many have websites and contact info for the club leadership; military folks tend to be quite helpful towards one another with the whole b-school thing and will be able to give you the lowdown not only on their own school, but what the other schools are like for military officers like yourself).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wahington U., U Texas, U Colorado, ASU, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please comment on my current profile [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 05:21
Thank you Alex. I appreciate all of your help!

Very Respectfully,
CPT U
Re: Please comment on my current profile   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2011, 05:21