Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please do evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please do evaluate [#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 06:55
Hi,

A quick roundup of my profile:
1. Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering from Univ. of Bombay (First class with Honors)
2. MS: Mechanical engineering (GPA: 4.0)
3. GMAT: 720
4. Working full-time at a top manufacturing firm in the US (will have more than 2 years work ex)
5. Community involvement (serving on the planning committee of an event)
6. Started a webdesigning company while I was doing my undergrad in India just because of my passion for design. It did quite well and I got a few projects (I quit it when I came to the US)
7. Worked on a research project while doing my MS
8. Know 5 languages, member of ASME
9. Work experience has given my two projects which display my leadership quality
10. Took up an economics class at a local college and received an A
11. Plans: Return to India to start a manufacturing company after working about two years in the US post-MBA. I have specific plans. Moreover, my family business is related to mechanical engineering. I do not plan to 'expand and diversify' the family business but rather, simply use the resources/infrastructure/network/contacts to build my own company
12. I am looking for training in general management and operations/manufacturing from an MBA
13. I believe I am ready as my current work experience has provided me the necessary ideas for my future
14. I think the uncommon aspects of my profile are: Dedication to mechanical engineering; the flow of my academic and professional years are very much aligned to my future goals; born and brought up in India but studied and worked in the US
15. Based on my profile, I am considering: Kellogg's (MMM), MIT, Michigan (TMI), Cornell, Yale, Darden, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon

Some quick questions for you:

1. Does my profile find favor with the schools I mentioned?
2. Do my two years of work ex (plus two internships during MS) serve as an obstacle for Kellogg's, MIT, Darden?
3. Should I consider lower ranked schools?
I would really really appreciate your inputs... I know it is a long post ..

Thanks a ton!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 43

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2006, 16:54
Expert's post
Wow! This is a lot of info. The first thing you may want to do is decide what 2 or 3 things you really want to stand out in your application.

To answer your questions...

1. I think your choice of schools is very good, given your interest in manufacturing. The Kellogg MMM program, Michigan's TMI program, MIT, and Carnegie Mellon in particular good be a good fit for you.

2. Your limited work experience may hurt you a bit, esp. for the more specialized programs (MMM and TMI). MIT may be a little more willing to admit someone with only 2 years of experience, but be aware that this may hurt you.

3. Your risk is that you really need to find a way to stand out from the pack. An Indian with a tech degree who wants to go back to India to start a company is a VERY common profile these days. What makes you different? I see some nuggets of uniqueness in the info that you listed, but you'll need to focus on a couple of key messages. If you are unable to do that, then you may indeed want to include a few top-30 schools on your list.

Scott

P.S. It's Kellogg, not Kellogg's. Kellogg's is a breakfast cereal company. :)

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 May 2006, 04:30
Ouch... Kellogg, huh?
That doesn't make me look very good but a BIG thanks nevertheless!

Also, thanks for your response. It really helped.
I do realise that I am in a very common pool of applicants. I will surely try to differentiate myself from the rest.
Moreover, I have a specific plan to present for my future goals/company. Hopefully, that will help. I am hoping that the fact that I have a mech engg related family business should help too.

Thanks, once again!