Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please enlighten me Paul...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Please enlighten me Paul... [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 06:47
Hey Paul,

Please evaluate my basic profile as follows and help me with your valuable feedback:

GMAT: 740: 50Q 38V

GPA: B.Tech. (Chemical) 64%(no trends here, more or less steady performance... if you could call it that!!!) from an unknown college, affiliated to a good univ. ( This Cud very well be the weakest link in my profile) :oops:

Work experience(WE): 3 months in family business during coll.(due to a family emergency). 7 mnths at my family business (post undergrad), 31 months (at matriculation) at the company I started. (Yes, I'm an entrepreneur).

Functionality: Manufacturing.

Nationality: Indian

Extra-curriculars/community: Played a sport from state level in high school, Loads of E.C in undergrad viz. various cultural fests(maybe one of the reasons of dismal show acad-wise, but I'm not cribbin'), used to invest in stock market in coll., used to play chess for my coll., Prez of a club @ coll., tryin to do social service after coll., also in-running for the President at the local social service club, PLUS i can come up with many more things that I did.

Post graduation goals: I wish to return to my small scale company which I have setup and take it to much greater heights after being equipped with the vast knowledge and networks of a top school.

Questions:
1) Is it right for me to think about an MBA? Will the MBA be able to fulfill my post-MBA ambitions?
2) Which is the correct specialization that I must aim for? GM? Operations? Finance? Marketing? Entreprenuership? What?!?! Since all of these fuctions are so interrelated once you are running a business that it is very hard to determine which one is the most critical for success.
3) Which Reach, Target and safe schools would you suggest me?
P.S. : On my radar... HBS, Oxford, UCLA, Duke, Darden, Austin, Emory

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please enlighten me Paul... [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 12:13
If I were you, I would substitute one of your schools(Oxford) with Ross.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please enlighten me Paul... [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 08:27
Thanks for replying Ncp.
ncprasad wrote:
If I were you, I would substitute one of your schools(Oxford) with Ross.

Is that because you liked my profile so much OR Do I have a lesser chance at Oxford (Well, everyone has lesser chance @ Oxford :) ???

And Yes. Ross was also on my radar for quite some time, actually I liked Ross very much, but looking at this year's trend (so few indian admits) and also considering that Ross gives a high weightage to older applicants, I chose otherwise......

Thoughts anyone???

Still waiting for Paul to enlighten me..... :|

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please enlighten me Paul... [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 14:43
Honestly, I know nothing about Oxford. I made the suggestion because Ross is a solid school that can set you up for your career. I also think you would be a competitive applicant.

BTW, not sure why you have the impression that not many Indians got into Ross this year. Just on this board, including me, we have a ton of desis going to Ann Arbor. (See list below).

ncprasad
saurabh357
ab
dosa
kingkreep
todoornot
sensation
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please enlighten me Paul... [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2008, 08:18
Expert's post
devansh_god,

My apologies for the delayed reply. I've been on the road.

1) Is it right for me to think about an MBA? Will the MBA be able to fulfill my post-MBA ambitions?
--Yes, many MBA programs now focus on entrepreneurship and it remains a popular track.

2) Which is the correct specialization that I must aim for? GM? Operations? Finance? Marketing? Entreprenuership? What?!?! Since all of these fuctions are so interrelated once you are running a business that it is very hard to determine which one is the most critical for success.
--Entrepreneurship or GM. An Entrepreneurship track would probably give you the same foundation as a GM track anyway with more new venture subject matter on top.

3) Which Reach, Target and safe schools would you suggest me?
P.S. : On my radar... HBS, Oxford, UCLA, Duke, Darden, Austin, Emory
--Your entrepreneurship career track is a big asset because it shows leadership and breaks you out of the Male IT Indian profile. However, the extracurricular doesn't look as strong. Given your entrepreneurship goals, you could consider Wharton, MIT (both reaches), UCLA, USC, Michigam Texas, and/or UNC.

Good luck,