Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate.. [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 07:32
edit

Last edited by Canis lupus on 10 Jul 2007, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 14:16
Expert's post
Thanks for the kind words about the book!

I think that you have a pretty strong profile. What I especially like are your examples of showing initiative and taking on leadership roles. Examples from your work like (such as starting a factory) and your personal life (such as starting the United fan club) are all extremely valuable in showing that you have leadership qualities that will make you a valuable addition to a b-school's community. Be sure to REALLY emphasize these in your app. These are more important than your "stats," such as your GMAT score.

All of the other things that you mentioned are also interesting... the tutoring, the rock band, cricket, etc. They are all very valuable in setting you apart from other applicants, which as you probably know is very important since you will be up against a lot of other applicants coming from India.

I don't really see any holes, really. I do wonder about the stock trading thing... Were you just a day trader without a day job? That sounds a little questionable, but I don't know if that's the case.

Your list of schools looks fine, although I'd probably recommend applying to no more than six. If I had to knock two off of the list, I'd maybe pick Kelly and Babson, unless you have them there for a certain reason. I bet that you can get into at least one of those schools. Also, even though I just told you to knock two off of the list, also consider Kellogg. You sound like you could be an interesting addition to the class!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2005, 18:46
Hey quixx123 i wasnt a day trader without a day time job but was an amateur investor..i basically was doing that along with college..My intention was to actually learn the financial and technical aspects of the companies that i was trading in..I picked Babson for its strength in eship and Kelley&Wake forest as safety schools..

I'm applying to HBS and Penn only in the second round..Do i stand a chance if i apply for the second round ?..
This is my shortlist as of now.. I intend to send apps to 6 now and 3 in January..

1. HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL Round II Jan 5
2. WHARTON Round II Jan 5
3. DUKE FUQUA (NC) Round I 1 Nov
4. CORNELL (JOHNSON, ITHACA NEW YORK) Round II 7 Nov
5. INDIANA KELLEY Round I Nov 15
6. BABSON (OLIN,MASSACHUSETTS) Round I Nov 30
7. TUCK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (HANNOVER) Round I Dec 1
8. UNIV OF AUSTIN TEXAS (McCOMBS) Round II 1 Feb
9. WAKE FOREST (BABCOCK) (NC) Round I Nov 1

The problems for me are
1>.I have only 1 year of full time exp ie setting up the processing unit
2>.I will be 22 years old by the time i'm admitted in a b-school
3>.My GPA is just a little above average (because of the ex-co activities)
4>.I have no international/global exposure

Any suggestions on how i can counter these weaknesses..Also could you suggest any changes in my shortlist other than what you have already suggested?..

Any idea if HBS or PENN would be interested in a candidature of my profile if i spin my essays well ?..

Thanks for the encouragement though..
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2005, 13:27
Expert's post
I would say that the only thing that really concerns me is your age. You have good experience already, but most applicants will probably have even more good experience, simply because they're a little older. I can see adcomms saying, "Please apply again in 2-3 years."

That doesn't mean you definitely won't get in... Just that it will indeed be a challenge, at HBS/Wharton or even at some of the lower-profile schools. In fact, some of those lower-ranked schools often have slightly older (on average) students.

Re: 1st round / 2nd round... I don't know why so many applicants worry about this!! Applying in the 2nd round doesn't hurt your chances at all.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews