Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 23:59
Deleted

Last edited by hbs.aspirant on 29 Sep 2007, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Updated Profile [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 22:01
Deleted

Last edited by hbs.aspirant on 12 Nov 2007, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 21:29
hbs.aspirant wrote:
I am an Indian IT professional, living in U.S for past 4 years.

I have a decent GPA (3rd rank in the engineering branch, 75/100 marks), Targeting for a good GMAT score. No extracurricular, No athletics (medically not fit), No community work till now.

I have been planning to study for some time now, but also had other priorities such as marriage, kids, and my father's family back home to support. Now that other priorities in life are having been taken care of, I am thinking about my goals again. Additionally, I am 29 years old now, so it's time I start the efforts.

Why I want to do MBA now? I want to get into General Management with focus on Social Enterprise and learn to manage and organize efforts on a large scale, efforts towards raising the hope and reducing the difficulties for others like me, "The kids born with congenital heart problem" in my home country, whose families neither have financial resources to get the defect repaired, nor do they have enough access to medical facilities to manage their kids' condition well. There are some small scattered efforts, mostly focused on arranging money to perform the surgery, but there is a need for an integrated large scale effort. Common concept about these kids, that they can survive but they can not excel in life, is not true. They can also excel like anybody else can, provided they get enough support of the society - both moral and financial, if needed - as well as affordable access to medical facilities.

Anyway, I have blabbered enough. Answer, if you please, the following:

1) What schools do I stand a chance with, assuming I score a 700+ (Have not achieved it yet). Do I stand any chance at HBS, if yes, what GMAT score will I need. I am asking this question since getting a very high score while working will be an extraordinarily straining effort for me, but I want to get a competitive enough score for the school to prove that I can take the strain of rigorous studies.
2) Will a medical condition, that is physically limiting but does not interfere with studies, be considered a negative point? If yes, what can I do to assure the school that I can manage the studies?
2) Is it negative from admission point of view that I am very focused on working for the improvement of a specific part of society, or in a specific country?

In response to the question business schools generally ask “Why you, what have you accomplished?” the only answer I have that I consider my goals as my accomplishments, and that I am looking for tools to help me achieve those goals.”

Please do not quote my profile while answering; I will delete it after the answer.

hbs.aspirant,

1. Given your goals and profile and assuming a 700+ GMAT I don't think HBS is realistic. Your profile is just not strong enough or unusual enough. Your goals are fine; there's nothing wrong with being very focused. Indeed, it's an asset. The problem is that schools will look for evidence in your life that you have been involved in 'social impact' activities and you say you have none. So they will view your stated post-MBA goals with skepticism. Consider the following schools, all highly ranked for their social entrepreneurship programs: Notre Dame, Geo. Washington, North Carolina, Western Ontario, Case Western Reserve.

I don't believe your condition will be any kind of negative in the eyes of the adcoms. Indeed, because it sets you apart and is a challenge you have had to overcome, it's an asset.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Thank You [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2007, 22:20
Thank you Paul. Will update my profile with the score after the exam.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thank You [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 20:41
hbs.aspirant wrote:
Thank you Paul. Will update my profile with the score after the exam.

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 09:39
After finishing GMAT and reading your book to get more idea about what all we can write, I am updating my profile here. Hoepfully I will represnt myself better in this profile.

M, Indian, Married, with children, 29 yrs (30 by fall 2008)
GMAT 760(Q51, V42)

Education:

Average indian University (Bachelor Of Technology - Civil Engineering)
First division with honor (means more than 75% overall exam score)
•was awarded scholarship from State Government for all 8 semesters
•Member of counseling committee for admissions while in 2nd year, Implemented a new revenue generating idea to admission process
•Headed (by appointment) the college branch of a national student organization for 2 years – appointment was based on level of participation in past - My previous participation was managing campaign for my brother (for same student party) in University Elections, of course he won.

Professional Certifications:
Project Management Professional – Project Management Institute (http://www.pmi.org)

Experience:

Information Technology Project Manager(Washington, D.C. and South Carolina)

- 5 Years international experience

•My job responsibilities include client relationship management and project management.
•I have managed geographically distributed teams of 6 to 12 people and projects up to 1.1M over a year.
•I can provide some leadership and teamwork experiences from my work
•I received a one time award from CEO for helping human resources with head hunting and recruitment process and also received highest bonus for referrals.
•Was hired as Project Manager at 4 years of work experience. Youngest project manager and youngest certified PMP in the company as well on the client site.
have undergone significant company sponsored training in Interpersonal skills, startegy and negotiation skills.

I will provide refernces from the CEO of the company I work with(small company so we are close), my client and the HR director (if 3rd needed).

Volunteer:
•Recieved training of court appointed special advocate to represent abused and neglected children in family court.
•Indian cooking volunteer for once a month fundraising for “Christmas is for kids” (CIFK), for over 2 years.

Extra curricular:
•Enjoy cooking, playing pool and wood carving.
•Participate in Indian as well as international potluck events.
•In past, I have been a child artist at my local radio station. I have also participated in plays on stage.

Aspirations:
I want to change career from IT project management to non-profit. I want to start an NGO (start in India and expand to other developing countries) to work for embetterment of congenital heart patients by providing care, treatment support and negotiating policies with government. I am one of the few million congenital heart patients. I could not afford the treatment or care as a child, but took it as a challenge and lived a successful life, while supporting mine and my father's family and bringing them to stability. Now I want to empower other patients to face this challenge they are born with. I will not write the details here but I do have an outline of what this NGO will try to achieve and how.

Based on some research I did, Stanford (with it's centre for social innovation and public management program with an option of non-profit management) sems to be good for what I want to do. They were number 1 in a recent beyondgreypinstripes ranking too. How much chance do you think I stand there?
I would appreciate yor suggestion on other school choices too (If it changes from last time :-).
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2007, 18:19
Expert's post
hbs.aspirant wrote:
After finishing GMAT and reading your book to get more idea about what all we can write, I am updating my profile here. Hoepfully I will represnt myself better in this profile.

M, Indian, Married, with children, 29 yrs (30 by fall 2008)
GMAT 760(Q51, V42)

Education:

Average indian University (Bachelor Of Technology - Civil Engineering)
First division with honor (means more than 75% overall exam score)
•was awarded scholarship from State Government for all 8 semesters
•Member of counseling committee for admissions while in 2nd year, Implemented a new revenue generating idea to admission process
•Headed (by appointment) the college branch of a national student organization for 2 years – appointment was based on level of participation in past - My previous participation was managing campaign for my brother (for same student party) in University Elections, of course he won.

Professional Certifications:
Project Management Professional – Project Management Institute (http://www.pmi.org)

Experience:

Information Technology Project Manager(Washington, D.C. and South Carolina)

- 5 Years international experience

•My job responsibilities include client relationship management and project management.
•I have managed geographically distributed teams of 6 to 12 people and projects up to 1.1M over a year.
•I can provide some leadership and teamwork experiences from my work
•I received a one time award from CEO for helping human resources with head hunting and recruitment process and also received highest bonus for referrals.
•Was hired as Project Manager at 4 years of work experience. Youngest project manager and youngest certified PMP in the company as well on the client site.
have undergone significant company sponsored training in Interpersonal skills, startegy and negotiation skills.

I will provide refernces from the CEO of the company I work with(small company so we are close), my client and the HR director (if 3rd needed).

Volunteer:
•Recieved training of court appointed special advocate to represent abused and neglected children in family court.
•Indian cooking volunteer for once a month fundraising for “Christmas is for kids” (CIFK), for over 2 years.

Extra curricular:
•Enjoy cooking, playing pool and wood carving.
•Participate in Indian as well as international potluck events.
•In past, I have been a child artist at my local radio station. I have also participated in plays on stage.

Aspirations:
I want to change career from IT project management to non-profit. I want to start an NGO (start in India and expand to other developing countries) to work for embetterment of congenital heart patients by providing care, treatment support and negotiating policies with government. I am one of the few million congenital heart patients. I could not afford the treatment or care as a child, but took it as a challenge and lived a successful life, while supporting mine and my father's family and bringing them to stability. Now I want to empower other patients to face this challenge they are born with. I will not write the details here but I do have an outline of what this NGO will try to achieve and how.

Based on some research I did, Stanford (with it's centre for social innovation and public management program with an option of non-profit management) sems to be good for what I want to do. They were number 1 in a recent beyondgreypinstripes ranking too. How much chance do you think I stand there?
I would appreciate yor suggestion on other school choices too (If it changes from last time :-).

hbs.aspirant,

I don't think Stanford or Harvard are doable, but feel free to apply and prove me wrong. Given the improvements in your profile I think you could apply to Michigan, Haas, Cornell, Yale, UNC, and NYU.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog