I just retook gmat (couple of hours back) and score 710 (extremely disheartening improvement from 700, my score last year). As my mock scores were consistently higher (all GMATprep + GMATPrep additional - 760, 760, 730 and 720), I was expecting a slightly better score (730+). Last year I had applied in 4 universities (although all in second round) - Ross, UCLA, Cornell and NYUS. Had received interview call from Ross, but dinged after WL. There has not been significant improvement in my profile as compared to the last year (except 10 point improvement in GMAT score, promotion from analyst to associate level, 1 month executive program at Columbia Business School (as part of the promotion), longer international experience (6 --> 9months) and 3 more M&A transactions executed).
Given this situation, should I go for the third attempt after 31 days while I work on my application? I know it will be difficult, but I'm not sure what all choices I have.
My profile below:
1. Profile: Indian/27/Chemical Engineer from IIT Delhi/CFA Level 1
2. Work-ex: IBD associate; 5 years (as of today); work experience in M&A at Deutsche Bank (3.5 yrs) and UBS (1.5 yrs). Worked on 7 M&A deals with a total transaction value of over $10bn
3. GMAT Score: second attempt: 710 (Q51,V34); 700 (Q50, V32; first attempt)
4. Academics: 1 month executive program at Columbia Business School as part of Deutsche Bank Associate promotion program; Undergrad: 7.32/10 CGPA. B.Tech IIT Delhi
5. International experience: 9 months in Singapore; deal related travels to Indonesia, HK and Singapore.
7. Entrepreneurial initiative: co-founded samwaad, a non-profit organization to bring together students and alumni of diverse engineering colleges across India; to provide them information regarding new scholarships, internships and give career guidance in general. Sort of a forum.
8. Extra Curriculars:
Community service -
A. Conducted talent search among 300 underprivileged children from NGOs, slums & remand homes; Organized a public show of their talent with Chief Minister of Bihar as the chief guest; publicised in leading print and electronic media, leading to financial aid to 3 children by the State
B. Associated with Super 30, a non-profit initiative to provide free tutions to poor students for IIT JEE, financially backed by a major corporate of India.
C. Teaching underprivileged children in part time at an NGO
D. Active member of National Service Scheme, under the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Govt. of India
A. Led the school team to win in district-level tournament, awarded with best bowler trophy
B Won gold, bronze & silver medals in the inter-hostel championships in 2005, '06 & '07
C. Part of the Company cricket team; won first position in inter-company cricket tournament, held in 2010
A. Event Coordinator, Tryst 2008 - Headed 4 activity heads and 10 volunteers to organize MOD-SIM- The Modeling & Simulation Contest, achieved great success with four fold increase in participation
B. Internal publication Secretary in college
C. Activity Head, cultural festival, IIT Delhi: Led a team of 4 team-heads & 20 volunteers to manage accommodation of more than 1000 participants
D. heads training committee for analysts in my company
10. Background: Born, brought up and studied in a village in Rural India (before graduation); first in my family to go to a college [will it make a difference in terms of making my profile look different?]
Target schools: Virginia (Darden), Cornell (Johnson), UCLA, Ross. Honestly.. I don't know.. just too disappointed...!
Post MBA: Want to continue in financial services (investment banking, private equity); corporate roles in M&A departments/corporate finance
Many Thanks for your help.