Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 09:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate and Suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate and Suggest [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 12:51
Profile:
Target Session: Fall 2006 (Full Time).
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 650 (Q: 51, V-26)
Under graduation: Bachelor of Engg. -75.5% (No grade system.) from IIT-R
Work Experience: 5+ years in an leading Indian IT company. exp. will be 6 yrs by the time I join (if I get accepted!!).
International Experience: UK (2.5 years) Role: Module Lead (Lead 5 member team), US(1 years) Role: Architect.
Current Role: Architect
Extra Curricular:
1. Was member of School/University Swimming Team. Won medals in Annual events.
2. Was member of University Rowing Team. Won medals in Annual events.
3. Was member of University Expedition Club and participated in several treks to Himalayas organised by university/club.
4. As a member of expedition club, I have also participated in several Cycle (Bike) expeditions organised by Club. Longest expedition being 400Km.

Community Service:
1. I am attached to a Rural development Group in India and quite a few times I have volunteered in government promotional programs.
2. I have also volunteered couple of times in a National mission to create awareness related to a disease. I was invloved in moving from door to door to convince ppl to take necessary actions to prevent it.

Recommendations: I can get excellent recommendation from my current and previous supervisor. I can also get recommendation from my client.

Post MBA Goals:
Short Term : I want to gain the indepth knowledge of how corporate finance works and after MBA, work in the same stream to gain some practical experience.
Long Term : May sound a little bit stupid. We, I and few other friends, want to start a IT Services Company and I will be handling the finances of the company. We have a very vague plan.

I would appreciate your inputs for the following questions:
1. Given my VERY low verbal score, which schools should I target? Also please mention how strong those schools are in Finance?
2. If I want to target European School, Which school should I target (again given my low Verbal Score)? I dont have any concern with Geographical Locations (US or Europe).
3. I was reading few applications. They were asking for Transcripts. Is the Transcript different from Degree Certificate and MarksSheet? Also How a %age system will work for US Schools (which are looking for 4 point Scale)?
4. Regarding reco., which one will be better. Taking from Previous Supervisor or Taking from one of the Client. From client I think I will get average reco. but from my previous supervisor, I will definitely get good reco.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 51

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2005, 06:37
Expert's post
The biggest potential hole that I see in your app is a lack of leadership examples. You mention that you were a member of certain clubs/teams (and the swimming medals are great), but were you ever the elected/appointed leader of an organization? Did you ever start an organization? Your community service is good, but hopefully you can show good leadership experience.

Regarding your questions...

1) I can't really recommend schools based on your low verbal score. But, if you're trying to look at schools outside of the top ten that are strong in finance, consider Indiana, Rochester, NYU, or Carnegie Mellon.

2) We don't know the European market as well, esp. when it comes to second-tier schools. We mainly focus on the U.S. market. Sorry!

3) Yes, this should be the same thing. If you aren't able to translate your score percentage to a 4.0 scale, then just provide the percentage. Some people simply translate their % to a number on the 4.0 scale, but not all schools want you to do this. They understand that different countried have different systems.

4) ALways get a reco from your supervisor before anyone else, even if they're a previous boss. Their opinion will count the most!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews