Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 02:02
Hi I have listed out my profile below and I am hoping you can provide me with some assistance in evaluating it. Also please tell me if there are any areas I need to focus on and what my chances are for UCLA & Chicago if I apply as an Early Career Candidate. I have not exaggerated in any part of the Profile and would appreciate your honest feedback. Also if you could suggest any other schools to which I should apply that would be great.

Name: Mansi Parikh

City, Country: Mumbai, India

Undergrad Major: Engineering in Electronics & Telecommunication (Graduated June 2010) with 64.7%

GMAT: Scheduled for Oct, 28, 2010

Work experience: 1 yr at Matriculation

Organization: I started off as a Resource Mobilization Intern in July 2010 and now I am the Resource Mobilization Coordinator for an NGO called Operation Smile India.

My Job entails Marketing, PR & Donor Relations for the org and I basically handle it alone with help from the Executive Director who is situated in Bangalore & comes in a couple of times a month. I am in the process of designing the PR material for the organization and working on a couple of new Fund raising ideas. I am also the liaison between the org. and the Operation Smile Students Club in the American School Of Bombay.

I get to attend all the Medical Missions (almost 1 every alternate mth) conducted all over India in Rural areas where they perform free Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate or Burns surgeries for young children. On these missions my role is different as per the requirement for eg. when we have donors coming to volunteer or observe the mission then it is Donor relations but otherwise it varies from Medical Records to Translation (since the doctors and nurses come from Abroad).

I have already been on 1 mission for the organization to Kolkata & my next mission is in December to Guwahati, Assam.

Internship: In July 2009 I did a 1 mth internship at a Firm called NatureFirst GEMS which was a Global Ecological Management firm, which helped businesses become more eco-friendly and compliant with LEEDS Norms, as a Research Analyst Trainee. My job was mostly researching and making reports based on that research for the firm to use in their pitches to various industries.

Extracurriculars:

1.) Currently learning Spanish (Basic Level) and planning to pursue it for further levels

2.) Have applied to join Teach For India to volunteer to teach under-privileged children

Undergrad: Held leadership roles as

1.) Chief Editor for the college Magazine Academic year 2009-2010

2.) Creative Head for the college IEEE branch which entailed designing of all publicity & Promotional Material for the Inter-college Festival and all the events and Seminars held during the academic year 2009-2010

3.) Event Head for the Debating event in the intra-college festival acad. year 2009-2010

4.) Financial Manager: College Magazine Academic Year 2008-2009

5.) Event Head for the marketing based event in the inter-college festival acad. year 2008-2009

School:

1.) House Captain/ School Prefect in the 10th grade acad. year 2003-2004

2.) Participation and prizes in Other Inter-school events such as Debating, Throwball, Art, etc. throughout school years

Languages Spoken: English (Primary), Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Spanish(Learning)

Short term goals: To work in Marketing with focus on Brand Management & PR, in any of the following industries:
  • High tech
  • Luxury
  • Entertainment & Media

Long term goals: To Open my own Brand Management & PR firm which can also provide reduced rates or pro-bono assistance to NGOs

Preferred Schools : UCLA, Chicago:Booth, NYU Stern, UC Davis, Columbia Business School

I am planning to apply to these schools particularly since they offer a wider variety of electives in the Marketing as well as Entrepreneurial studies and have some of the best faculty for Marketing subjects.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 18:47
To be competitive, you will need to be able to articulate clear goals for your career. Additionally, your GMAT score will need to be well within the range considered by your target schools.

How do you plan to apply knowledge from your past professional experience to your future career?

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)

Re: Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:43
VeritasPrepScottie wrote:
To be competitive, you will need to be able to articulate clear goals for your career. Additionally, your GMAT score will need to be well within the range considered by your target schools.

How do you plan to apply knowledge from your past professional experience to your future career?

In my current position I am heading up the marketing department for the NGO I work for so I am getting good hands on experience in marketing although it is obviously a bit different than marketing for a large firm the principles remain the same.

In fact it is more difficult to "Market" an NGO than it is most other products because you can't offer the donors anything tangible in return and I basically like that aspect of the job because it just makes it that much more challenging.

Kidchaos

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 09:29
If you can achieve a competitive score on the GMAT and clearly communicate your experience as well as your goals then you should have a good chance at the programs that consider early career applicants. However, your other target schools will want to see more career experience. A good solid work history really helps because it provides a great context for the principles you learn during your MBA and it gives you something to add to the class as well.

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Current Student

Re: Please Evaluate: Early Career NGO Background [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 09:40
Thanks a lot. This really helps.

Kidchaos