Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 11:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 04:36
hi, I am from eastern europe
I graduated from UPenn engineering with 3.60 and have a 730 gmat
average ECs both at and after college
currently wiorking in IB in my home country..
in June I will have exactly two years of full time experience and if I got accepted for the fall 2012 term, I will have a little more than 3 years of WE at matriculation.

this year I applied to 7 schools all in R2 and columbia at Jan 15th
- columbia, harvard, stanford ding w/o int
- chicago, nyu, yale , wharton ding w / int

anyways I think one of the reasons I got dings was my lack of WE and I started working on the apps very late so was not exactly happy with my essays
After MBA I plan on working in PE / or IB
so this year I will start very early preparing. and probably planing on using an addmisions consultant at least for several of the schools i plan to apply. I plan on applyng to these schools>

Columbia , Early decision probably will send the app in June and will have the result before R1 of other schools
R1: Harvard (reapp), Wharton (reapp), MIT, Tuck, Kellogg, Duke
R2: Stanford (reapp), Booth (reapp), Darden, Ross, Yale (reapp), NYU (reapp)

any comments on my school choices as well as any additional school you would recommend applyg?
should i apply to 6 schools in one round or should I lower the number schools?

thanks a lot..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 05:15
ua87 wrote:
hi, I am from eastern europe
I graduated from UPenn engineering with 3.60 and have a 730 gmat
average ECs both at and after college
currently wiorking in IB in my home country..
in June I will have exactly two years of full time experience and if I got accepted for the fall 2012 term, I will have a little more than 3 years of WE at matriculation.

this year I applied to 7 schools all in R2 and columbia at Jan 15th
- columbia, harvard, stanford ding w/o int
- chicago, nyu, yale , wharton ding w / int

anyways I think one of the reasons I got dings was my lack of WE and I started working on the apps very late so was not exactly happy with my essays
After MBA I plan on working in PE / or IB
so this year I will start very early preparing. and probably planing on using an addmisions consultant at least for several of the schools i plan to apply. I plan on applyng to these schools>

Columbia , Early decision probably will send the app in June and will have the result before R1 of other schools
R1: Harvard (reapp), Wharton (reapp), MIT, Tuck, Kellogg, Duke
R2: Stanford (reapp), Booth (reapp), Darden, Ross, Yale (reapp), NYU (reapp)

any comments on my school choices as well as any additional school you would recommend applyg?
should i apply to 6 schools in one round or should I lower the number schools?

thanks a lot..

You are currently in IB, want to leave IB to get an MBA so that you can get back into IB? That doesn't really make sense. If you want to stay in IB you're time and money would be better spent in staying where you are.
Current Student
Schools: R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:49
That is a lot of schools to apply to for next year! I think your lack of work experience played a significant part as well as maybe your essays in not getting anywhere. I would also ask the schools for feedback in the summer when things are slower for them. Getting an admissions consultant sounds like a good idea as well as applying R1, but I would eliminate several of your target schools if you want to send solid applications. Really think about where you want to go based on location, culture, class size, concentration...
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 07:17
bpengage wrote:
That is a lot of schools to apply to for next year! I think your lack of work experience played a significant part as well as maybe your essays in not getting anywhere. I would also ask the schools for feedback in the summer when things are slower for them. Getting an admissions consultant sounds like a good idea as well as applying R1, but I would eliminate several of your target schools if you want to send solid applications. Really think about where you want to go based on location, culture, class size, concentration...

Agreed. Unless you have a lot of free time, attempting to put together 10+ quality applications in one year is probably going to cause you to rush through some of them.
Manager
Manager

Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 07:33
so as far as I understand 3-4 apps per round is the ideal number right?
then I would most likely apply to one of H/S/W in each round, 2 top 10 schools and 1 top 15 school
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 07:35
^^ remember to stay away form r3...its very competitive.

You got dinged b/c you have very little WE, or your essays sucked. Stats are stellar

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 08:31
its always said that r1 and r2 are almost the same but I tend to believe that its mostly the same for US applicant.

what I mean is that for example this year I heard that wharton accepted 3 or 4 students from my country in the r1( I am from an Eastern European country) so this automatically lowers my chances right?
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 08:33
^^^ we cant effectively comment on that past speculation. But if its true, you still better apply in r1 right?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2011, 08:33