Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 04:36
hi, I am from eastern europe
I graduated from UPenn engineering with 3.60 and have a 730 gmat
average ECs both at and after college
currently wiorking in IB in my home country..
in June I will have exactly two years of full time experience and if I got accepted for the fall 2012 term, I will have a little more than 3 years of WE at matriculation.

this year I applied to 7 schools all in R2 and columbia at Jan 15th
- columbia, harvard, stanford ding w/o int
- chicago, nyu, yale , wharton ding w / int

anyways I think one of the reasons I got dings was my lack of WE and I started working on the apps very late so was not exactly happy with my essays
After MBA I plan on working in PE / or IB
so this year I will start very early preparing. and probably planing on using an addmisions consultant at least for several of the schools i plan to apply. I plan on applyng to these schools>

Columbia , Early decision probably will send the app in June and will have the result before R1 of other schools
R1: Harvard (reapp), Wharton (reapp), MIT, Tuck, Kellogg, Duke
R2: Stanford (reapp), Booth (reapp), Darden, Ross, Yale (reapp), NYU (reapp)

any comments on my school choices as well as any additional school you would recommend applyg?
should i apply to 6 schools in one round or should I lower the number schools?

thanks a lot..
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: please evaluate fall 2012 chances,got 7 dings this year,ouch [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 13:30
I'm sorry that your efforts weren't rewarded this year, but, I think you will have better luck in the future. To me, the main weakness in your profile is a significant lack of work experience. It is very hard to write compelling essays and have good examples when you don't have the depth of experience of other applicants. Additionally, your LORs will be better (hopefully) with another year of experience under your belt. In fact, this might be my only concern with applying in June to Columbia. Even this year, your work experience is less than that of most applicants!

However, as long as you recognize this disadvantage, you will be able to mitigate it. Make sure that your essays do a good job of explaining WHY this is the right time for you to go to business school. You will need to show the right mix of having been successful professionally (to date) yet unable to progress to the next level without an MBA.

With all of that in mind, I think that you are targeting the correct tier of schools. I'd be wary of applying to too many. This can be a big burden on recommenders and you will need to do what you can to make sure that your LORs are outstanding.

Good Luck!

Veritas Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.