Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant) [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Paul,

First, let me tell you somewhat about my
educational and professional background.

I am an electrical engineer by profession and have finished my
undergraduate from a state university in southern California. For the past 7 odd years, I
have been working in the silicon valley as a design engineer. In the case of career progression, I have led numerous million dollar projects from start
to end phase of the design cycle. I have also been promoted twice despite the economic turmoil we all have seen in the bay area.
I have recently switched into product marketing. This also aligns with the long term goals I plan to add in my latest essays as a reapplicant to Haas.
I have decided to reapply for Fall 2008 at the Evening and Weekend MBA program at Haas

I have taken Gmat 4 times so far (first one in 2002), so actually 3 times and have scored 540 (Highest) and a 4.5/6 in the AWA.
I have decided to start studying for the gmat again and get over it by October, 2007. My aim is to get at least 700 or above.

I have taken some business related classes to add some colors to my pure engineering background. Classes I took so far are business statistics and micro economics at a local community college and secured a "A" and "B" respectively. Based on the feedback I got from the admissions director, she recommends to take financial accounting and macroeconomics. Btw. My overall gpa for the undergrad
was 3.12 and I worked part-time too!

- I have volunteered at numerous non-profit organizations for the last couple of years...

So far, I have been mostly relying on the following books:

-Gmat official guide -- 11th edition
-Gmat Verbal workbook
-Gmat Analytical workbook
-Gmat official guide 10th edition
-Kaplan 2005 prep. CD including 4 online tests.

Now the questions to you are the following:

1) Based on my background, what do you think if I stand a chance to compete with the pool of first time applicants at Haas? Please be honest :-)

2) If I don't have a chance, what can I do to improve my chances of being admitted from now till I apply to Haas?

The admission director has told me to improve my short answers. She did mention that she liked my long essay and extracurricular activities. She also told me to write a well composed essay as to what have I improved from the last time I apply. I am planning to pitch my switch from engineering background to product maketing background which also alligns with my future goals that I mentioned in the essay last year. I would also need to get one more recommendation letter from my current boss.

I highly appreciate your thoughts and sincerely apologize if I have wasted
any of your valuable time.

Thanks!

Btw, I have been admitted to Santa Clara and UC Davis school of Business for the fall, 2007.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant) [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 11:46
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi Paul,

undergraduate from a state university in southern California. For the past 7 odd years, I
have been working in the silicon valley as a design engineer. In the case of career progression, I have led numerous million dollar projects from start
to end phase of the design cycle. I have also been promoted twice despite the economic turmoil we all have seen in the bay area.
I have recently switched into product marketing. This also aligns with the long term goals I plan to add in my latest essays as a reapplicant to Haas.
I have decided to reapply for Fall 2008 at the Evening and Weekend MBA program at Haas

I have taken Gmat 4 times so far (first one in 2002), so actually 3 times and have scored 540 (Highest) and a 4.5/6 in the AWA.
I have decided to start studying for the gmat again and get over it by October, 2007. My aim is to get at least 700 or above.

I have taken some business related classes to add some colors to my pure engineering background. Classes I took so far are business statistics and micro economics at a local community college and secured a "A" and "B" respectively. Based on the feedback I got from the admissions director, she recommends to take financial accounting and macroeconomics. Btw. My overall gpa for the undergrad

- I have volunteered at numerous non-profit organizations for the last couple of years...

-Gmat Verbal workbook

1) Based on my background, what do you think if I stand a chance to compete with the pool of first time applicants at Haas? Please be honest :-)

2) If I don't have a chance, what can I do to improve my chances of being admitted from now till I apply to Haas?

The admission director has told me to improve my short answers. She did mention that she liked my long essay and extracurricular activities. She also told me to write a well composed essay as to what have I improved from the last time I apply. I am planning to pitch my switch from engineering background to product maketing background which also alligns with my future goals that I mentioned in the essay last year. I would also need to get one more recommendation letter from my current boss.

Thanks!

Btw, I have been admitted to Santa Clara and UC Davis school of Business for the fall, 2007.
Dear Paul, Can you please evaluate my profile?
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi Paul,

-Gmat Verbal workbook

Thanks!

lonesome307,

1) With a 540 GMAT your chances of admission to Haas are virtually nil.
2) You can get a 700 on the GMAT. That would solve most of your problems. I'm surprised the adcom didn't mention your GMAT score as an area for you to focus on. Even with brilliantly moving essays your 540 will be a crippling impediment for you.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant) [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 18:35
pbodine wrote:
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi Paul,

-Gmat Verbal workbook

Thanks!

lonesome307,

2) You can get a 700 on the GMAT. That would solve most of your problems. I'm surprised the adcom didn't mention your GMAT score as an area for you to focus on. Even with brilliantly moving essays your 540 will be a crippling impediment for you.

Hope this helps,

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Yes, the adcom did mention about the low Gmat score! I am working on it and hopefully will be able to improve it by october. Do you know if round1 or round2 is more suitable to apply as a reapplicant?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate for Haas (Reapplicant) [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 14:59
lonesome307 wrote:
pbodine wrote:
lonesome307 wrote:
Hi Paul,

-Gmat Verbal workbook

Thanks!

lonesome307,

Hope this helps,

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your honest feedback. Yes, the adcom did mention about the low Gmat score! I am working on it and hopefully will be able to improve it by october. Do you know if round1 or round2 is more suitable to apply as a reapplicant?

lonesome307,

As a general rule, it's better for reapplicants to apply in round 1. Some schools actually specifically ask them to.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter