Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate me: 750 GMAT (49q/42v), 2.9GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate me: 750 GMAT (49q/42v), 2.9GPA [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:39
Profile:

Stats:
Undergrad - University of Pennsylvania ('08)
Major - Biological Basis of Behavior (Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology components), 2.9 GPA
GMAT - 750 (49q, 42v)

Work Experience:
4.5 years

3 years: Product Manager at a privately held biotech company (100 employees, ~20M annual revenue)
- Re-launched a medical device product in 2011. Accomplishments include 275% product sales growth within 1 year, complete re-branding of the product, development of both external and internal sales tools.
- Determined 5 year market potential for the product line within targeted market segments
- Determined 2011 sales quote for the company (company achieved 101% of quota that year)
- Led efforts to brand the company identity as an industry leader by developing the current commercial website, tradeshow booth, and company logo

1.5 years: Senior Account Executive at a medical marketing agency (50 employees, 10-15M annual revenue)
- Led the development of a reimbursement services platform for a pharmaceutical client in Ophthalmology. Accomplishments include development of a payer formulary kit, comprehensive practice reimbursement kit, patient financial assistance programs material, website, platform branding, and strategic client consulting. Client was awarded a brand champion marketing award and the website is currently a finalist for another marketing award.

Goals and target schools:
I believe my GPA is my greatest weakness as it will place me within the lower brackets for the schools I would hope to attend. I was originally a pre-med student and struggled with my future career identity as a doctor, which led to a less enthusiastic and purposeful approach towards academics. During this time, I would say that I hit "rock bottom" and realized that something needed to change. After graduating, I was lucky enough to find work within the medical/biotech industry and have since discovered what I want to do.

I am currently looking to apply to schools such as Harvard, Berkeley, MIT, UCLA, USC and would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my profile and chances. Career-wise, I have been fortunate to have been a part of a start-up level biotech company and have been exposed to quite a large array of company logistics and my goal in attending an MBA program would be to help give me the expertise to make the jump to higher levels of management within the industry.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate me: 750 GMAT (49q/42v), 2.9GPA [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 22:18
Expert's post
dt8286 wrote:
Profile:

Stats:
Undergrad - University of Pennsylvania ('08)
Major - Biological Basis of Behavior (Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology components), 2.9 GPA
GMAT - 750 (49q, 42v)

Work Experience:
4.5 years

3 years: Product Manager at a privately held biotech company (100 employees, ~20M annual revenue)
- Re-launched a medical device product in 2011. Accomplishments include 275% product sales growth within 1 year, complete re-branding of the product, development of both external and internal sales tools.
- Determined 5 year market potential for the product line within targeted market segments
- Determined 2011 sales quote for the company (company achieved 101% of quota that year)
- Led efforts to brand the company identity as an industry leader by developing the current commercial website, tradeshow booth, and company logo

1.5 years: Senior Account Executive at a medical marketing agency (50 employees, 10-15M annual revenue)
- Led the development of a reimbursement services platform for a pharmaceutical client in Ophthalmology. Accomplishments include development of a payer formulary kit, comprehensive practice reimbursement kit, patient financial assistance programs material, website, platform branding, and strategic client consulting. Client was awarded a brand champion marketing award and the website is currently a finalist for another marketing award.

Goals and target schools:
I believe my GPA is my greatest weakness as it will place me within the lower brackets for the schools I would hope to attend. I was originally a pre-med student and struggled with my future career identity as a doctor, which led to a less enthusiastic and purposeful approach towards academics. During this time, I would say that I hit "rock bottom" and realized that something needed to change. After graduating, I was lucky enough to find work within the medical/biotech industry and have since discovered what I want to do.

I am currently looking to apply to schools such as Harvard, Berkeley, MIT, UCLA, USC and would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my profile and chances. Career-wise, I have been fortunate to have been a part of a start-up level biotech company and have been exposed to quite a large array of company logistics and my goal in attending an MBA program would be to help give me the expertise to make the jump to higher levels of management within the industry.

Any trend to your grades? Have you taken any classes or received any certifications since you went to Penn?

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate me: 750 GMAT (49q/42v), 2.9GPA [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2013, 08:20
Hi Linda, thanks for responding. No, I did not have a positive trend throughout my undergrad and have not received any further certification.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate me: 750 GMAT (49q/42v), 2.9GPA [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 16:44
Expert's post
dt8286 wrote:
Hi Linda, thanks for responding. No, I did not have a positive trend throughout my undergrad and have not received any further certification.

Harvard, Berkeley, MIT, UCLA, USC

You're right that your GPAis your biggest weakness and it's something you should address in optional essays when given the chance.

IN terms of schools, HBS, Haas, and MIT are stretches. Your chances are better at UCLA and USC. I think you should also strongly consider Duke. Perhaps also look into Cornell, Yale, and Ross.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog