Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2005, 22:56
Hello,

Please evaluate and comment on the following:

Profile:

25 year old Canadian Male
GMAT SCORE- 690 (Q49, V34) 1st attempt
University average- 68% (This is low because I worked 30 hours a week through out university to pay my way through school). Although my GPA is low I always got high scores in my economics/commerce classes.

Qualifications:
1) Bachelor of Engineering,
2) Eligible for professional engineering license in Saskatchewan(CANADA)
3) Will be taking Hawaii(USA) professional engineering license in April 06.

Work Experience:
-Worked in Saskatchewan for a large Canadian power generating company as a power plant engineer for 3 years.
-I have been employed in Hawaii for the past year as a power plant engineer. My main duties have been project management(ie design, purchasing, evaluating projects and proposals).
-At current job I supervise junior engineers, and have recently been picked to be the second in charge of a new power plant installation(supervising senior engineers, reviewing proposal, overseeing design consultants, assisting in permiting, legal stuff), $75 million dollar project.
Currently in US - TN visa

Community service:
-Alot of activities during university.
-Volunteer for various United Way events (6-10 events/year)
-Volunteer monthly at local art academy

Extracurricular activities:
Work out at gym 5 times a week. Surf 2+ times a week, member of various online groups, learning Japanese, member of various engineering societies

Recommendations:
Expecting good recommendations current employer and former coworkers.

MBA start date: Fall 2006

I would like your comments on the following:

1) What schools do you recommend? I would like to get into Harvard, but not sure I have the qualifications.
2) When is the best time to apply 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round
3) Does my being a Canadian help or hurt my chances?
4) Do you have any suggestions to increase my chances at Harvard?

I appreciate you taking the time to review this
Thank you,
Cory

Last edited by ctiede on 25 Jul 2005, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 15:11
Expert's post
ctiede wrote:
Hello,

Please evaluate and comment on the following:

Profile:

25 year old Canadian Caucasian male
GMAT SCORE- 690 (Q49, V34) 1st attempt
University average- 68% (This is low because I worked 30 hours a week through out university to pay my way through school). Although my GPA is low I always got high scores in my economics/commerce classes.

Qualifications:
1) Bachelor of Engineering,
2) Eligible for professional engineering license in Saskatchewan(CANADA)
3) Will be taking Hawaii(USA) professional engineering license in April 06.

Work Experience:
-Worked in Saskatchewan for a large Canadian power generating company as a power plant engineer for 3 years.
-I have been employed in Hawaii for the past year as a power plant engineer. My main duties have been project management(ie design, purchasing, evaluating projects and proposals).
-At current job I supervise junior engineers, and have recently been picked to be the second in charge of a new power plant installation(supervising senior engineers, reviewing proposal, overseeing design consultants, assisting in permiting, legal stuff), $75 million dollar project.
Currently in US - TN visa

Community service:
-Alot of activities during university.
-Volunteer for various United Way events (6-10 events/year)
-Volunteer monthly at local art academy

Extracurricular activities:
Work out at gym 5 times a week. Surf 2+ times a week, member of various online groups, learning Japanese, member of various engineering societies

Recommendations:
Expecting good recommendations current employer and former coworkers.

MBA start date: Fall 2006

I would like your comments on the following:

1) What schools do you recommend? I would like to get into Harvard, but not sure I have the qualifications.
2) When is the best time to apply 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round
3) Does my being a Canadian help or hurt my chances?
4) Do you have any suggestions to increase my chances at Harvard?

I appreciate you taking the time to review this
Thank you,
Cory

Cory,

1) I am not optimistic about your chances mainly because of your undergrad GPA. Certainly if you really want Harvard, you shoud apply to Harvard, but also apply to other schools. Don't count on Harvard.
2) The best time to apply is as early as your application is ready. I like first round, but not if you are compromising quality. Please see Round 1/Round 2 Fight.
3) Neutral.
4) Take classes now to show you can earn A's when you are motivated and have the time. Also let the schools know you worked while going to college. Stress your leadership roles on and off the job.

You may also be interested in my tips on the HBS 2006 MBA essays.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2005, 16:33
Thank you Linda, I appreciate your advise. Two additional questions

1/Which schools do you think I have a reasonable chance at?
2/What type of classes would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Cory
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2005, 14:44
Expert's post
ctiede wrote:
Thank you Linda, I appreciate your advise. Two additional questions

1/Which schools do you think I have a reasonable chance at?
2/What type of classes would you recommend?

Thanks again,
Cory

1) Before I answer that, what do you want to do after your MBA?
2) I recommend statistics, if you didn't have it as an undergrad or earned less than a B in it. I also recommend in this order accounting, finance, marketing. Given that your verbal is a little on the low side, consider a class like Communications for Business.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 00:42
Linda,

I am thinking of applying to NYU, Columbia, and MIT. As my profile stands do you think I have a shot at these schools?

I found a grade conversion sclae for my University, and my GPA turns out to be ~2.6. Would taking an online/distance learning course be helpful in mitigating the effects of my low GPA? If so do you have any online schools that you recommend?

Thank you,
Cory
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 22:19
Expert's post
ctiede wrote:
Linda,

I am thinking of applying to NYU, Columbia, and MIT. As my profile stands do you think I have a shot at these schools?

I found a grade conversion sclae for my University, and my GPA turns out to be ~2.6. Would taking an online/distance learning course be helpful in mitigating the effects of my low GPA? If so do you have any online schools that you recommend?

Thank you,
Cory

In order to be competitive at these schools you need to beef up your academic profile. That means establishing a record of excellence in an academic setting. I would say 2-6 classes and more is better than fewer. If you absolutely cannot attend a physical classroom than distance learning is better than nothing, but if you want to take these classes to show that you know how to perform in an academic setting, ie the classroom, then it's better if you go to the classroom. Although your GMAT is average for these schools, usually when someone has a lower than average GPA, I like them to present a higher than average GMAT. For online classes check out UCLA, NYU, and U of Maryland.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553