Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 09:12
Hi,

Please have a look at my profile and help me come up with a list of B schools to apply to (Fall 2006)

1. 28 years, Female, Indian
2. Expected GMAT score: 700+ (Will be taking it up next month)
3. Qualifications: B.E (Electronics & Communications) - 75%
4. Work Experience: Almost 6 years in 3 different MNCs (3.5 yrs Siemens, < 1 yr in Hughes and in Intel since early last year) in India. Have experience working with different geos. Been on short term deputations to Europe and US.
5. Recommendations: Can get good ones from ex-boss and ex-colleague. Not from current employer
6. Community Service - Involved in small activites but nothing too great to write about
7. Misc - Though I don't have an official managerial position, I have been leading small teams and involved in mentoring juniors.

My questions are:
1. Which schools should I apply to (US, Canada, Europe) considering scholarships and aid?
2. Any loop holes in my profile that I should work towards?

Thanks a lot.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 15:56
Expert's post
guhapriya wrote:
Hi,

Please have a look at my profile and help me come up with a list of B schools to apply to (Fall 2006)

1. 28 years, Female, Indian
2. Expected GMAT score: 700+ (Will be taking it up next month)
3. Qualifications: B.E (Electronics & Communications) - 75%
4. Work Experience: Almost 6 years in 3 different MNCs (3.5 yrs Siemens, < 1 yr in Hughes and in Intel since early last year) in India. Have experience working with different geos. Been on short term deputations to Europe and US.
5. Recommendations: Can get good ones from ex-boss and ex-colleague. Not from current employer
6. Community Service - Involved in small activites but nothing too great to write about
7. Misc - Though I don't have an official managerial position, I have been leading small teams and involved in mentoring juniors.

My questions are:
1. Which schools should I apply to (US, Canada, Europe) considering scholarships and aid?
2. Any loop holes in my profile that I should work towards?

Thanks a lot.

To answer your questions:

1) What do you want to do after your MBA? Where do you want to settle after your MBA?
2) There are minior weaknesses that you should be able to address or ameliorate:
A. Lack of community service since you left college. The best move here is to start doing something now.
B. No recs from your current boss. This can and should be explained.
C. Limited leadership experience. You have to make the most of what you have done as a team lead.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2005, 21:51
Hi Linda

Thanks for the quick assessment of weaknesses in my profile.

Elaborating more on my career goals:
I am looking at leveraging my managerial career in the technology industry after getting my MBA. So, my focus is on Gen Management in schools which have good placements in tech/ engineering firms.

With this in mind, I have shortlisted Purdue and McCombs. Please suggest other schools that would suit my profile.

Thanks.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 14:18
Expert's post
guhapriya wrote:
Hi Linda

Thanks for the quick assessment of weaknesses in my profile.

Elaborating more on my career goals:
I am looking at leveraging my managerial career in the technology industry after getting my MBA. So, my focus is on Gen Management in schools which have good placements in tech/ engineering firms.

With this in mind, I have shortlisted Purdue and McCombs. Please suggest other schools that would suit my profile.

Thanks.

Good choices. Also consider Carnegie Mellon, Carlson, Eller, Maryland, UNC, Duke,

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 16:54
Dear Linda,

This is an exerpt from your write up on community service.

"If you come from a country like the US where service is encouraged, then service is almost mandatory at the top schools. Remember, community service has a broad definition, but some form of community service is important to your application's success. "

This suggests that Admissions committees might be more forgiving to non-US students for their lack of public service. Is that right ?

I am in a dilemma on what would I be considered. I have lived in US for 7-8 years but will not be a resident/citizen at the time of application. Will I be a international student or a us student ?
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2005, 20:29
Expert's post
cont_halt wrote:
Dear Linda,

This is an exerpt from your write up on community service.

"If you come from a country like the US where service is encouraged, then service is almost mandatory at the top schools. Remember, community service has a broad definition, but some form of community service is important to your application's success. "

This suggests that Admissions committees might be more forgiving to non-US students for their lack of public service. Is that right ?

I am in a dilemma on what would I be considered. I have lived in US for 7-8 years but will not be a resident/citizen at the time of application. Will I be a international student or a us student ?

That's true, particularly for nationalities that don't send a lot of applicants to b-school. Since the schools want diversity, they will occasionally compromise on community service if an otherwise qualified candidate applies from an "under-represented" background and lacks community service.

You will be considered someone who grew up abroad but has lived in the US for the last 7-8 years. The adcom will realize perhaps that the tradition of community service is not as strong in your home country. But if compatriots do apply with community service and you don't have it, you will still be at a disadvantage.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553