Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my chances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2006, 07:04
Hello Paul,

I will be starting my applications to business schools for Fall 2007. I will really appreciate if you can do a quick review of my profile.

My Background

Sex -Male
Nationality - Indian
Age - 31 yrs

Professional Experience -
Industry - IT Consulting
Job Experience - 9 years
Current Title - Sr. software consultant/Lead Developer

Worked in India for 2 years. Moved to US and have been involved in consulting roles as Developer/Technical Lead/Architect. In lead/architect roles, I have lead and mentored teams at client sites. The team sizes I have lead have been between 5-15 team members.

Education
Bachelors Electrical Engineering , India (GPA - 3.51) - Graduated in 2006
Masters in Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, MD -
Graduated in 2006
GMAT Score - 740

Extracurricular
Involved in community service during my undergrad days.
Currently member of a large India based NGO

Other Interests
Racquetball, Tennis, Golf and Cricket (as hobbies but not part of any professional league)

Certifications
I have 5 technical certifications from Sun and IBM

Goals
I intend to move into strategy consulting and in the long term move into corporate strategy. These are the following schools I have shortlisted based on their focus on consulting and my background. Can you tell me about my chances and if there are any other top-schools you might suggest with a focus on strategy .

Likelies

Darden
Tuck
Columbia
Duke(I was thinking about it but looks like they do not have too many strategy companies coming to campus)

Stretch

Kellogg
Wharton
Chicago

Regards,
Rajiv[/b]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my chances [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 21:14
rp_gmat wrote:
Hello Paul,

I will be starting my applications to business schools for Fall 2007. I will really appreciate if you can do a quick review of my profile.

My Background

Sex -Male
Nationality - Indian
Age - 31 yrs

Professional Experience -
Industry - IT Consulting
Job Experience - 9 years
Current Title - Sr. software consultant/Lead Developer

Worked in India for 2 years. Moved to US and have been involved in consulting roles as Developer/Technical Lead/Architect. In lead/architect roles, I have lead and mentored teams at client sites. The team sizes I have lead have been between 5-15 team members.

Education
Bachelors Electrical Engineering , India (GPA - 3.51) - Graduated in 2006
Masters in Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, MD -
Graduated in 2006
GMAT Score - 740

Extracurricular
Involved in community service during my undergrad days.
Currently member of a large India based NGO

Other Interests
Racquetball, Tennis, Golf and Cricket (as hobbies but not part of any professional league)

Certifications
I have 5 technical certifications from Sun and IBM

Goals
I intend to move into strategy consulting and in the long term move into corporate strategy. These are the following schools I have shortlisted based on their focus on consulting and my background. Can you tell me about my chances and if there are any other top-schools you might suggest with a focus on strategy .

Likelies

Darden
Tuck
Columbia
Duke(I was thinking about it but looks like they do not have too many strategy companies coming to campus)

Stretch

Kellogg
Wharton
Chicago

Regards,
Rajiv[/b]

Rajiv,

You've got good numbers, so you will be competitive (or better) at Darden and Chicago (I agree that Duke is less relevant for your goals).

I would put Columbia, Wharton, Tuck, and Kellogg in the same group in terms of selectivity, and I agree that they will be stretches but potentially doable. You're applying out of a well-traveled applicant pool and apparently (tell me if I'm wrong) lack formal management and leadership in your community involvements, so you will have to fight hard to stand out, but assuming there's more to you than your post (a safe bet), then I would not be shocked if one or two of these four came through for you.

For strategy I would also take a hard look at Yale, Michigan, and INSEAD.

Good luck!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2006, 20:20
Thanks Paul for taking out the time to reply and helping out all the people in the forum. I will take a further look at Michigan(which I still consider a stretch) and Yale.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 18:34
Expert's post
rp_gmat wrote:
Thanks Paul for taking out the time to reply and helping out all the people in the forum. I will take a further look at Michigan(which I still consider a stretch) and Yale.

You're welcome.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog