Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my CV

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 19:15
Can anyone please evaluate my CV. I am applying to Singapore Management University MFin program. Thanks a lot
Attachments

cv comments.doc [36.5 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

To download please login or register as a user

Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 21:09
I uploaded my CV on http://www.razume.com/documents/23920 for easy reference. Please comment on this CV and suggest ways to help improve it as someone commented it is very lacklustre. Thanks.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 06:03
Expert's post
Fung Wei-

For starters, the formatting is not typical of what b-schools are used to seeing. You should eliminate the boxes around the sections and also put the resume in reverse chronological order, with your work experience up top followed by your education and then the additional information. B-schools are looking for trends, threads or tendencies that indicate you are a business leader or potential business leader, so you might want to include the entrepeneurial effort in 2007 in your work experience section as a separate "job," if indeed it was such an endeavor. Demonstrating that you started a business whilst working at the ministry could be good proof that you have the "right stuff" for business school instead of the pure academic route that teachers often take by going back for MS and PhD. Now, if your intention is to remain in the education industry and you are in fact pursuing your MFin so you can keep teaching, then that changes things. To this end, you are already on the right track, highlighting the impact you have made on students and awards received, etc. Additionally, I would add some more personal information in the last section to bring in the human angle a bit more. Hobbies, interests outside work, volunteer work, sports activities, etc. can help demonstrate well-roundedness and the tendency for you to get involved. Grad schools like to admit multi-dimensional applicants, so even listing travel experiences, or other languages you speak, etc. can help.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 07:42
Thanks Sir.

I updated my resume according to your advice and in my opinion it looks much better.

http://www.razume.com/documents/23970

I am planning to study this MAF to change industry. After some thoughts, I feel that there is actually nothing unique about me except that I have 2 lovely children at 27 years old (should I write it in?).
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Everybody has something unique, and certainly shepherding children to adulthood is among what I would consider impressive. So yes, I would include info about your family, particularly if you can craft it from the angle of how being a father has made you a better leader.

Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 08:50
Kudos to you for helping me.

I benefited a lot from this forum, especially from your advice. Can you please evaluate my updated resume again before I submit it for admission consideration? I have spent hours improving on the resume. I realised my current resume is much stronger than my first ever.

The link is https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4o12Z6wqjJhMDU0Mjg3NTUtZDQ1NC00NDE5LWE4OWUtMjU5OThkMmY4MTQ3

Thanks in advance
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my CV [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2012, 09:38
Expert's post
It looks much better--formatting is great, but you still have things out of chronological order. Your experience should be listed up top, then your education. The work you did from '05-'09 should be listed in your education section as a bullet point since you did this while you were a student. When you list internships and experience you got during college as job experience, it makes you look like you don't think you have enough experience. In your case, there is nothing to apologize for, so I would just list your current job and your entreprenurial effort in the experience section and then put the other work in the education section, again, after you move the education section to the bottom.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews