Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my first argument essay. Very urgent

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my first argument essay. Very urgent [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 22:04
Have exam very soon, so please evaluate my essay. Comments are very welcomed.

“Company A has a large share of the international market in video-game hardware and software. Company B, the pioneer in these products, was once a $12 billion-a-year giant but collapsed when children became bored with its line of products. Thus Company A can also be expected to fail, especially given the fact that its games are now in so many American homes that the demand for them is nearly exhausted.”
Discuss how well reasoned... etc.

The argument states that, the similar pattern of Company B loosing its market for video games will be observed in Company A's case. The author gives as a main reason that, current game products of Company B is in almost all American houses and demand for them will decline as it happened to Company A. Stated this way, the argument fails to consider several facts on the basis it could be evaluated. The conclusion of the argument which predicts Company A to fail relies on assumptions where there is no clear evidence. Hence the argument is weak, unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument readily assumes that, the Company A is following the same way as once Company B did. Argument fails to show explicitly the correlation between two companies. There is no evidence that, company B will fail even if it had attracted so many demands from American homes. The argument could be much clearer if it explicitly stated the relationship and the correlation of both companies itself and demand trends.

Secondly, the conclusion of the argument did not give any cause and effect chain. Why children were bored of Company B games? And what is the difference of two company’s video-games? The answer to those questions would specifically identify the relationship of products. Assume the old game of "Snake". This was very popular during its initial lifetime and obviously, creators of that game made profit. However, after some time people lost interest in that game because the newer, more interesting game came to the world-“blocks”. Who knows, maybe the demand for snake game would not fall if new "blocks" game was not born. Thus, argument cannot truly predict Company A’s product to loose market unless it does not state the future trends in game world.

This is again very weak argument, because it does not give us clear evidence why Company A product should eventually be out of demand. The fact of Company A producing similar but more modern games does not guarantee that it will have same result of previous creators of the game.

Finally, the argument is flawed due to above mentioned facts and therefore is unconvincing. In order to assess merits of this conclusion, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors to demand. Without this information the argument remains unsubstantiated.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my first argument essay. Very urgent [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
You most relevant point is "Who knows, maybe the demand for snake game would not fall if new "blocks" game was not born. "

I think you can elaborate on these line -

1. The weak analogy between company a and b

2. The difference between the marketing strategies between company a and b and the target audience

3. The failure which caused the downfall of company B but will not be likely in case of company A

4. The competent management, expansion goals, efficient product differentiation and looking into ostensible markets by company A

5. Any prediction about the future is wrong unless backed by evidence to substantiate the claim. Hence the argument is weak and relies upon distorted data and vague assumptions.

6. To strengthen the argument - the argument should do blah blah. The argument does not offer evidence to substantiate the claim that company a will fall.

7. In conclusion, the argument is weak and unconvincing as it stands.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Please evaluate my first argument essay. Very urgent [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 15:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Please evaluate my first argument essay. Very urgent   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2013, 15:37