Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 14:43
Hi Paul,

Here is where I currently stand:

24 yo, male, Malaysian, currently in the US on a work visa (H1B).
Looking to apply to: Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Sloan, Booth. Please do tell me if my choices are sensible or if you have other recommendations. I wish to begin fall 2012.

Education/assessments:

Biomedical Sciences (partial, transferred in Dec 06 to Umich) - Malaysian branch campus of Western Michigan University
Cellular and Molecular Biology, B.S., 2009 - University of Michigan
GPA: ~3.7/4.0
GMAT: 730; Q50, V39, AWA 6.0. I probably will not take the exam again, unless the schools want me to.
TOEFL: 280 for CBT (expired result), wondering if I should take the IBT.

Work experience:

2008: Franchise owner with College Pro Painters in Southeast Michigan (it’s a 1yr long internship): started up and ran my own painting company while still attending classes. I generated ~$90,000 in sales within 6-7 months (I was ranked around 5th in sales volume in Michigan by the time I closed down my business, the actual ranking escapes me now), and oversaw a 9-person crew of painters and foremen. Also oversaw/did most of the stuff businesses must perform: the HR, accounting, logistics, strategy, sales, customer relations, marketing etc.

Jan-Apr 2009: Teaching assistant for Umich organic chem lab class in my final undergrad semester: evaluated student performance, provided guidance where needed, proctored and graded exams, and made sure that no one got injured during class time.

Jun 2009-present: research tech/lab manager for a Umich med school lab: I oversee the laboratory’s logistics and administration, especially stocking inventory and procuring new equipment, while performing research in molecular genetics. I also worked with a small team of peers to expand our lab’s operations and research capabilities by setting up an auxiliary location for more tissue culture work. Other tasks include performing initial training for our undergrad lab members, repairing and maintaining lab equipment, and overseeing the lab's safety compliance requirements.

Also at some point in time during my Umich years: librarian, student dining services assistant, student advisor at the international center.

Extra-curricular:

College:
VP for academic program’s student rep group, board member in student government, volunteer work at a local church (helped out during mass and sponsored an individual for baptism).

After college:
Some more church volunteering. Occasionally, I provide college-related advice for my high school’s overseas support group. Other than that, I mostly look for new activities to participate in, e.g. tango lessons, weaving chainmail, camping etc.

Post-MBA goals:

I’m looking to work as a strategy consultant for the biotech industry, preferably in identifying and developing promising novel research in the biotech/medical fields into profitable (naturally) and socially beneficial products (e.g. novel gene therapy compounds, artificial organs, stem cell therapy).

Why the MBA:

(I'm writing this partly to practice for the essays; feel free to critique!)
I am looking to expand upon what I have learned so far from my work experience in terms of developing and managing the direction of an organization. I had pretty good success with College Pro, and I believe that I have made my laboratory run more efficiently. However, I believe that the skills I have could always use some more refining. I'm also hoping that I will get to know others with similar career goals.

Let me know what you think or if I have omitted some information; thank you in advance Paul!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 22:36
Expert's post
Sorry for the delay on this. I didn't realize there was some unread posts below my more recent responses!

Hopefully this is still of value to you.

My take on your situation is that you are going to do have to do three critical things in this process:

1. Have a "life so far" + MBA = ST goals = LT goals (that connect back to your current life) path laid out perfectly. Consulting is the right short-term step, but you might want to seek a broader entry point and then move toward a more scientific outcome. Your long-term goals will need to connect directly to your life right now and your evident passions/talents. The biggest thing for you is going to be drawing lines. Draw a line from the skills you have developed now to those you will need to be a good consultant. Draw that line straight through the MBA, to show what it adds and creates (ask exactly the right amount of the degree - not too much, not too little). Draw a line from your long-term goals back to your life now, from a standpoint of perspective and passion. Make sure everything connects. It it does, it will turn your nontraditional path into a huge positive, rather than a potentially damaging negative.

2. Pick the right schools. Make sure you look for schools that will admit younger applicants. Look for schools that value unique perspectives. And for schools that feature true academic rigor. Booth, MIT, Ross, and HBS come immediately to mind.

3. Showcase "mature" themes such as leadership, innovation, motivation, and teamwork. Your application will need to read like a true veteran applicant put it together. Any "youth" that comes out in it will let the reader off the hook and have them thinking "ah, he has plenty of time to get on a more traditional MBA path - we'll see if he comes back around in a few years." You don't want that, obviously.

It's going to take a deft touch to formulate the right plan, but if you do it, I could see you faring quite well in the process. It's just going to be about the proper strategy, laying out transferable skills, and having a really mature vision.

Good luck to you!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 12:48
Thank you for the advice Paul! I am in fact a little concerned about how to put forward in words how an MBA ties in with my experiences so far and future plans, but I think some of that will be ironed out when I get a chance to talk this over with my boss/mentor and get his input.

Once again, thank you :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 00:25
Expert's post
shuenhon wrote:
Thank you for the advice Paul! I am in fact a little concerned about how to put forward in words how an MBA ties in with my experiences so far and future plans, but I think some of that will be ironed out when I get a chance to talk this over with my boss/mentor and get his input.

Once again, thank you :)

My pleasure, of course if you would like to speak about your candidacy in greater detail via phone call, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton