Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile... [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 10:37
GMAT = 750 Q50 V40, GRE = Score range Q750-800 V670-770 (exact results on new scale to follow in Nov)
Age = 26
Location = India
Experience = 5 years (all in Microsoft)
Current position = Program Manager
Experience = Program Manager (1+ year), Software engineer (4 years)
Goals = Product Manager in an exciting tech product company in Silicon Valley in the short term, Senior leader (VP/GM) in a high growth tech product company
Career growth rate = Slightly above average - not star-studded
Extra curricular activities = Very limited
Academics = Good GPA (~3.8) from a reputed engineering school (Delhi School of Engineering)
Manage reports? No
International experience? No

My primary motivation to get into a graduate degree course is mainly to get a break as a PM in the bay area. However, I would like to stay away from MS in Computer Science because I do not want to do a technical course right now. At the same time I do not want to over spend both time as well as money. Therefore I would love to go for a school in which I could get a scholarship.

So far I have narrowed down on California schools - Haas, Anderson and Marshall. I also want to apply to McCombs because of its association with tech sector. I am confused about other colleges.

Please advice
1) What other schools should I apply to for my goals to stay within tech industry?
2) I am not aiming for the top 10 schools except Haas. Am I aiming too low?
3) Any other courses I should consider? (I am already applying for MEM courses)
4) Does it make sense to study from East Coast if my target is to work in California after MBA?
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile... [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 15:10
Expert's post
Hello jessenchester, thanks for your questions.

I am not intimately familiar with which programs excel in technology, but here is the US News & World Report ranking based on the specialty “information systems”:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... s-rankings

It’s hard for me to make a pronouncement on your chances without more information. Broadly, I will say that your competitiveness will ultimately come down to the quality of your leadership experience. Can you draw upon “moments” when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative? You need not have managed direct reports to have accomplished the aforementioned.

Also, you mention weak extracurriculars. This need not be just official community service. You might also speak to your passions and interests as vehicles through which you have done good for the world. Top programs do value what you’ve done outside of work, so the more you can make this case, the more compelling your application will be.

My biggest question for you is why do you need an MBA? If you are a PM at Microsoft now with solid experience, what gaps stand between you and obtaining the PM jobs in California that you desire? Is an MBA the best way to address those gaps? You will need to demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck!
Brian

Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php