Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2016, 14:19
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 19:34
Thanks for taking the time. I have a somewhat different background than a lot of posters on here, and am curious how it would be viewed by adcoms.

Undergrad degree: Indiana University, Political Science Major, Economics Minor, ~3.4 GPA

Law School: regional top 75 school, graduated near the top of the class (top 10%), on the Executive Board of the school's flagship law review, other strong extracurriculars. Also worked part-time all three years of school, the last two years being exclusively legal work.

W1: Have been an associate at a small firm that focuses in business and real estate for almost 4 years

GMAT: 700

Strong reasons for going that I am confident I could effectively articulate. But, I would only consider making the jump if I was able to get into a top 7 school. I am particularly interested in Harvard, Kellogg, and Booth.

Any shot? How is the law school/legal experience viewed? Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2012, 23:45
Please don't tell me you want to go into finance (banking, private equity, etc.) - it seems like 90-99% of lawyers who apply to b-school are looking to go into finance, and for many cynical adcoms it looks like a money grab and nothing more. Not saying that that's why you'd do it (if indeed it's for finance), but that's how many adcoms will perceive it.

Anyhow, to be honest it's going to be a big stretch. For top schools, the small handful of ex-lawyers tend to have strong blue chip backgrounds (top 10 law schools) and worked at the big law firms (or they worked in entertainment/sports, etc). And even then, amongst this pool they still have a tough time (especially at HBS). It has nothing to do with ability - but that they are just wary of the signal it sends when a lawyer applies to b-school (after spending 3 years in grad school, pass the bar, work as a lawyer -- applying to b-school signals "burnout" to an adcom).

Probably not what you want to hear - but if you do apply, just know that it's going to be tough to get in.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 05:18
Thanks for the honesty. I actually have no interest in finance, but it sounds like that's only a minor boost. Is there anything I can do outside of strong essays articulating my reasons for going? I am at least one cycle away from applying so I have some time.

Also, I am much more interested in the Chicago schools (Booth and Kellogg). It also sounds like I'm still a long shot. Either way, thanks for the advice.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2012, 10:11
Other than a strong application, not a whole lot -- you are who you are, and any substantive changes you want to make of yourself are as you know, years in the making (not just a few months or even a year).

What you may also want to consider are part-time programs at Kellogg and Booth -- both of which have part-time programs that are the strongest in the country (and world). This will of course depend on your goals -- if you're not making a drastic career change (i.e. you're changing job functions from law to business, but within the same industry such as real estate in your case), then the part-time program may be just as much of a fit for you, especially if you're not in a rush to apply this year. Also, they are more open to folks like yourself who aren't making big career changes and who are a little older / more seasoned. Again, it's not impossible to make a career switch into business, but it may mean looking at other options beyond the full-time programs.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2012, 10:11