Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 10:07
I'm going to apply for the MBA for the Fall 2013 semester. I feel like I want need to do this sooner rather than later even though my work experience may not be the greatest and the negative perception of working in a family business. I will give some more information and would appreciate honest evaluation of my chances and ideal school choices.

GMAT estimate: 700 (I'm taking the Manhattan 9 week course, studying daily, and feel like I can achieve this score by the Fall 2012.)

Undergrad:
• 3.03 GPA Overall. Although overall GPA is low, my senior year I averaged a 3.6 GPA taking upper level Econ courses and studying abroad.
• B.S. Economics, Purdue (Krannert Business School).
• 1 Semester Study Abroad (Dublin, Ireland).
• Extracurricular: Member of a Leadership Fraternity, and a co-ed service fraternity.
• Internship: College Painters (Managed a paint crew)

Work experience:
Marketing Manager: Small Manufacturing and Wholesale Company (6 employees, $2 million in revenue) (2009-present)
Before that I was a Inside Sales Rep at same company.
• Developed marketing strategy and wrote reports
• Led product development projects to bring new ideas to the market quickly and effectively
• Wrote and composed print advertisements, catalogs, and product manuals
• Also Served as a salesperson of industrial products used to test and measure water flow rates from fire pumps and fire hydrants and had personal sales of $415,711 in 2011, and $298,159 in 2010
• Used industry knowledge and communication skills to help customers find the optimal equipment for their application
• Managed the redesign of company website and was instrumental in choosing to invest resources in the project and choosing the web design firm.

Extracurricular after college:
- Dale Carnegie Leadership Course
- Martial Arts (since 2010, regularly attended)
- Private Pilot

Also, I plan to get involved in community service for 4-6 months, right after I take my GMAT, so I can squeeze that in my application.

Target Schools: I want to focus on Entrepreneurship or general management concentrations. I want to go to the best full-time program I can get into. Some of the programs that initially thought my fit well was: Derden (UV), Yale, Georgetown.
I figured I'm aiming in the MBA rankings at 10-25 .

Marketing myself:
As stated in previous thread, I work for my dad's company, and I plan to write in my essays that I need the MBA to take the role of President and CEO when he retires. To offset my young age and lack of experience I want to use the MBA to do this.

Although, it was mentioned about the negative aspects of working for family, which I don't completely disagree with, I believe it also has its pros such as: greater duties and responsibility afforded to me than may have been available otherwise; greater role in important business and financial decisions; small company means that my tasks are more diverse and well rounded than may have been at a large company; every decision has a greater and more immediate consequence. Also I can play up that the company has grown by over 13% per year during my time there, and during the recession years (2009 -present).

As background information, my father is president and owner of the company. I worked there straight out of college and have been there over two years now. I previously posted asking about how working in a family business would be viewed by the admissions. I could not include the link.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 10:33
Expert's post
Hi, Pgrennin,

Thanks for your post. To balance out your GPA, you will want to aim for that 700 on the GMAT (with 80th % on each section). If there is a reason you did not do as well in your first two years of undergrad, you may want to use the Optional essay to explain that – just be succinct and focus on the data points (GMAT and junior/senior GPA) that reflect your true academic abilities. Since you work for a family business, it will be important for you to demonstrate that you have earned the positioned and how well you have impacted the organization. When you explain your future career goals, make sure you show progression to CEO, again how you will earn that responsibility in the long term following your MBA. While you don’t list any of your criteria for MBA programs, you can also take a look at Babson, Kelley, and UT Austin to see if those are a good fit for your needs.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php