Joined: 09 Mar 2012
, given: 6
Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
12 May 2012, 11:07
I'm going to apply for the MBA for the Fall 2013 semester. I feel like I want need to do this sooner rather than later even though my work experience may not be the greatest and the negative perception of working in a family business. I will give some more information and would appreciate honest evaluation of my chances and ideal school choices.
GMAT estimate: 700 (I'm taking the Manhattan 9 week course, studying daily, and feel like I can achieve this score by the Fall 2012.)
• 3.03 GPA Overall. Although overall GPA is low, my senior year I averaged a 3.6 GPA taking upper level Econ courses and studying abroad.
• B.S. Economics, Purdue (Krannert Business School).
• 1 Semester Study Abroad (Dublin, Ireland).
• Extracurricular: Member of a Leadership Fraternity, and a co-ed service fraternity.
• Internship: College Painters (Managed a paint crew)
Marketing Manager: Small Manufacturing and Wholesale Company (6 employees, $2 million in revenue) (2009-present)
Before that I was a Inside Sales Rep at same company.
• Developed marketing strategy and wrote reports
• Led product development projects to bring new ideas to the market quickly and effectively
• Wrote and composed print advertisements, catalogs, and product manuals
• Also Served as a salesperson of industrial products used to test and measure water flow rates from fire pumps and fire hydrants and had personal sales of $415,711 in 2011, and $298,159 in 2010
• Used industry knowledge and communication skills to help customers find the optimal equipment for their application
• Managed the redesign of company website and was instrumental in choosing to invest resources in the project and choosing the web design firm.
Extracurricular after college:
- Dale Carnegie Leadership Course
- Martial Arts (since 2010, regularly attended)
- Private Pilot
Also, I plan to get involved in community service for 4-6 months, right after I take my GMAT, so I can squeeze that in my application.
Target Schools: I want to focus on Entrepreneurship or general management concentrations. I want to go to the best full-time program I can get into. Some of the programs that initially thought my fit well was: Derden (UV), Yale, Georgetown.
I figured I'm aiming in the MBA rankings at 10-25 .
As stated in previous thread, I work for my dad's company, and I plan to write in my essays that I need the MBA to take the role of President and CEO when he retires. To offset my young age and lack of experience I want to use the MBA to do this.
Although, it was mentioned about the negative aspects of working for family, which I don't completely disagree with, I believe it also has its pros such as: greater duties and responsibility afforded to me than may have been available otherwise; greater role in important business and financial decisions; small company means that my tasks are more diverse and well rounded than may have been at a large company; every decision has a greater and more immediate consequence. Also I can play up that the company has grown by over 13% per year during my time there, and during the recession years (2009 -present).
As background information, my father is president and owner of the company. I worked there straight out of college and have been there over two years now. I previously posted asking about how working in a family business would be viewed by the admissions. I could not include the link.