Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 11:18
Hello all,

Gave GMAT today. Got a 680(85 percentile) (QA-51, V-31). Highly disappointed with my score :( . Hoping to get a good AWA score(between 5-6) and a good IR score(between 7-8)

Anyways just wanted an opinion regarding my profile. Please do suggest if I should go for a retake. I am targetting ISB - R2 and NUS.

Indian IT MALE 6+ years of work ex.

Working with Billion Dollar Product Development MNC in India as a senior S/W developer position. Also an unofficial team lead.

Confident of getting quality recommendations from Management(Both from local management as well as from US Management).

Authored few patents, which have passed internal approval and have been filed for issuance with US patent authorities.

Been ranked in the top 85 percentile(which includes workforce from all GEO locations) in the last appraisal cycle.

Was part of the group that met our Customers(a pretty high profile one) in London along with US management team last year.

During Under graduate days, was involved in extra-curricular activities. Won awards during cultural festivals in folk dance.

Was organizer of 3 events for the annual technical festival in the final year. Was founder member of one such event, and that event has been part of Technical festival till date.

Academics :-

2006 pass-out from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Allahabad. CPI - 9.25 (on a 10 point scale). Was rank 49 in the state engineering exam.

XII - 77.33%

X - 814%

Please review. Any help/recommendation is highly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 349 [1] , given: 66

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
vineetmhjn wrote:
Hello all,

Gave GMAT today. Got a 680(85 percentile) (QA-51, V-31). Highly disappointed with my score :( . Hoping to get a good AWA score(between 5-6) and a good IR score(between 7-8)

Anyways just wanted an opinion regarding my profile. Please do suggest if I should go for a retake. I am targetting ISB - R2 and NUS.

Indian IT MALE 6+ years of work ex.

Working with Billion Dollar Product Development MNC in India as a senior S/W developer position. Also an unofficial team lead.

Confident of getting quality recommendations from Management(Both from local management as well as from US Management).

Authored few patents, which have passed internal approval and have been filed for issuance with US patent authorities.

Been ranked in the top 85 percentile(which includes workforce from all GEO locations) in the last appraisal cycle.

Was part of the group that met our Customers(a pretty high profile one) in London along with US management team last year.

During Under graduate days, was involved in extra-curricular activities. Won awards during cultural festivals in folk dance.

Was organizer of 3 events for the annual technical festival in the final year. Was founder member of one such event, and that event has been part of Technical festival till date.

Academics :-

2006 pass-out from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Allahabad. CPI - 9.25 (on a 10 point scale). Was rank 49 in the state engineering exam.

XII - 77.33%

X - 814%

Please review. Any help/recommendation is highly appreciated.

How were you doing on practice exams?

You are competitive at NUS with your current score, but it might be an obstacle to admission at ISB.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 08:23
Hello Linda,

Thank a lot for the response.

Actually I was doing kinda okay on the mocks.

In GMAT Prep 1, I scored a 690. Verbal 33 and Quant 49.

Then I gave the 6 MGMATs.

I was scoring on average a score of 37-38 on MGMATs with lowest score of 33 (my first MGMAT) and highest score of 42 (5th GMAT). QA I was averaging around 49 in the mocks. The score range here was 590(the first MGMAT) to 740(the fifth MGMAT).

Finally in GMAT Prep 2, I scored a 710. Verbal 35, Quant 50.

Actually, I got the lowest score in Verbal section in the actual GMAT.
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 66

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 22:29
Expert's post
vineetmhjn wrote:
Hello Linda,

Thank a lot for the response.

Actually I was doing kinda okay on the mocks.

In GMAT Prep 1, I scored a 690. Verbal 33 and Quant 49.

Then I gave the 6 MGMATs.

I was scoring on average a score of 37-38 on MGMATs with lowest score of 33 (my first MGMAT) and highest score of 42 (5th GMAT). QA I was averaging around 49 in the mocks. The score range here was 590(the first MGMAT) to 740(the fifth MGMAT).

Finally in GMAT Prep 2, I scored a 710. Verbal 35, Quant 50.

Actually, I got the lowest score in Verbal section in the actual GMAT.

given that the actual exam was the worst, I would recommend that you retake if you want to improve your chances at ISB. If you are happy with NUS, then I don't recommend a retake. Why torture yourself?

For more thoughts on when to retake and when not to retake, please see:

Should You Retake the GMAT?
THat GMAT Score!

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 12:34
Thanks Linda. This is very helpful. Appreciate it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 11:31
vineetmhjn wrote:

Hello Linda,

I finally gave the GMAT 2nd time, and managed to score a 750 (Q 51 V 39). Considering all the other aspects as the same, how do you view my profile ?

How do you compare a 2 year course from a US university to a 1 year one in ISB?
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 66

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 21:57
Expert's post
vineetmhjn wrote:
vineetmhjn wrote:

Hello Linda,

I finally gave the GMAT 2nd time, and managed to score a 750 (Q 51 V 39). Considering all the other aspects as the same, how do you view my profile ?

How do you compare a 2 year course from a US university to a 1 year one in ISB?

That's fantastic! congratulations!

Your profile is competitive at ISB, and at many top programs, especially if you can show leadership and business (not just technical skills) abilities.

The big advantage of the 2-year programs is they better facilitate career change because you have the opportunity to do an internship. And an internship is a try-out -- for you and the employer.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553