Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 23:55
I'm a 25 year old, US born, caucasian male. I have 4 years of work experience (1 year in corporate development and 3 years in investment banking). I previously worked at a bulge bracket investment bank as an investment banking analyst for 1 year and 9 months. I currently work as an investment banking associate at an international boutique investment banking firm in San Francisco, CA. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.6/4.0 from a top 50 US undergrad in business admin. and a 760 on the GMAT (Quant 48, Verbal 47, 99%). I will apply to MBA programs in the fall 2013.

I am most interested in Wharton, Columbia and Dartmouth. I'd like to continue working in finance after my MBA. I have about a half year of volunteering experience at a non-profit that worked with recent immigrants on resumes, career coaching, cover letters, etc. However, I have very little leadership/extracurricular experience outside of work. I am most worried about this part of my application.

Please can you evaluate my profile? What are my chances of acceptance to one of these programs? What can I do to improve my chances? Thank you very much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 21:48
Expert's post
masterg wrote:
I'm a 25 year old, US born, caucasian male. I have 4 years of work experience (1 year in corporate development and 3 years in investment banking). I previously worked at a bulge bracket investment bank as an investment banking analyst for 1 year and 9 months. I currently work as an investment banking associate at an international boutique investment banking firm in San Francisco, CA. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.6/4.0 from a top 50 US undergrad in business admin. and a 760 on the GMAT (Quant 48, Verbal 47, 99%). I will apply to MBA programs in the fall 2013.

I am most interested in Wharton, Columbia and Dartmouth. I'd like to continue working in finance after my MBA. I have about a half year of volunteering experience at a non-profit that worked with recent immigrants on resumes, career coaching, cover letters, etc. However, I have very little leadership/extracurricular experience outside of work. I am most worried about this part of my application.

Please can you evaluate my profile? What are my chances of acceptance to one of these programs? What can I do to improve my chances? Thank you very much.

Given your work experience and stats, you still have a competitive profile for these programs, although as you know, your lack of leadership and extra-curriuculars is a weakness. You may also want to consider Chicago Booth and NYU Stern.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2013, 23:45
Linda, thank you for the feedback. I am starting a scholarship fund in my grandfathers name ahead of the upcoming fall semester. I will continue to volunteer at the non profit this fall 2013. Lastly I have been asked to participate in fundraising for s local congressman starting right now. Will these extracurriculars be sufficient enough although the time period is short? Should I wait to apply until next year after I have done extracurriculars for a longer time period? I am also looking into volunteering for Big Brother Big Sister. Thanks again.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 21:39
Expert's post
masterg wrote:

These are all good, and frankly you don't (from an admissions perspective) need to add the Big Brothers/Big Sister commitment, if you make an impact at what you have taken on. In fact, I think you would be better off focusing on what you have started and making a difference in any or all of them..

I can't say definitively if this "will be enough," or not. It will definitely help, especially next year if you can show commitment and impact. However, I see nothing wrong with trying now, and if you are not accepted this year, reapply next with a strong record of leadershipand community involvement. If you try now, you have a chance of starting bschool in the fall. If you don't apply now, for sure you will not start until Fall 2015. I think it's worth your while to apply this cycle.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog