Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
RohitK wrote:
Hi Jon,

It would be great if you could find some time to evaluate my profile. I have tried to keep the sentences short, just understandable.

Background
Personal: 27 years old, Male, Indian
GMAT: 740 (Q 50/ V 40/ AWA 5 / IR 8)
Undergrad : National Institute of technology Calicut, (B.Tech Computer Science & Eng, non-IIT, but top national college)
GPA: 7.9/10
I am not sure whether I should mention these things as I am not looking for any pity, but just to mention, writing these things below separately.
(First generation graduate in family, have to drop my education for 3 years after high school to help my family financially (I lost my father at the age of 3, mother is a housewife) by farming and tutoring, not to mention I taught few students, with backgrounds like mine, free.)

Work Ex:
3+ years in Samsung Research India, took some responsibility work and some leadership initiatives that I am sure I can ask my supervisor to highlight.
Two Employee award (one quarterly). 1 promotion in first 2 years. International exp of working in S.Korea and with clients in US.

Extra-curricular:
Pursuing NGO volunteering in the field of orphanage education, CSR, opened a small computer center in my village to help children get basic computer knowledge(I did not have a CS background when I joined College, so I understand its importance)
Was active in college in different clubs, cultural and tech fests.
School captain, number 1 student in school and vice captain of the college physique and yoga team for inter-NIT competition.

Career goal:
Want to work in the strategy/consulting field. (And of course non profit consulting and NGO, but that will mix up things so not yet decided which one I will write in essays)

Do you think my profile is competitive for any of the top 10 US Schools or LBS? Which would you recommend?
Thank You!

First of all, I totally agree with Abhijeet, you have a fantastic story! And yes you should use it. You have to be a little careful with it, so it doesn't sound like you are asking for favors or looking for a sob story, but tell it straight and true, and it makes you different.

You have a fantastic GMAT and good work at a good company. I think that Top 10 is not exactly your comfort zone, (i.e. where you would be "competitive" but that you can definitely take two of your favorite top 10 schools and put them on your list (Haas? Tuck? Sloan?), but I would also urge you to apply to a few schools in the 10-30 range. Don't feel like this is a compromise, becuase these schools are all fantastic too, and your goal of moving into consulting can come true through any of them too. Likewise in Europe LBS may be a bit on the tough side, but INSEAD is a bit easier (As well as being fantastic for consulting) and you can also try Oxford and Cambridge (not shabby in their own respects)

I hope all this helps you out,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your reply Jon.

I will definitely consider your suggestions in my application process. Thanks again :)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
RohitK wrote:
Thanks for your reply Jon.

I will definitely consider your suggestions in my application process. Thanks again :)

You got it dude. I'm rooting for you?
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts