Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: ISB '15, NTU '15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 02:16
It would be great if you could find some time to evaluate my profile.

Background
Personal: 25 years old, Male, Indian
GMAT 2nd attempt: 720 (Q 51/ V 35/ AWA and IR awaited)
GMAT 1st attempt : 650 (Q50/V29/AWA 4.5 and IR 5)
Undergrad/Post grad : Dual degree from Indian Institute of Technology Madras (B.Tech Mechanical Eng, M.Tech Energy Technology)
GPA: 8.5/10
Student Semester Exchange program : Did my 7th semester in NTU, Singapore. Scored the highest GPA in NTU of 3.96/4.

Work Ex:2+ years (banking and insurance domain)
1.5 years with Aviva Life Insurance : As a business analyst. Working with the strategic initiative team to make sales strategy.
Worked on various statistical model to segment the customer portfolio and predict future business to bridge the gap between target and predicted business.)
Employee award (one quarterly). Got an award as early as 9 months with Aviva Life insurance.
7 months with Citi bank Global (Current) : Working as a Senior Business analyst with North America Retail Banking Citi Partners.
Work is to analyze past data, build predictive and descriptive statistical models and consult partners with the right business strategy.
Ventures explored :
1.Founder of a Indian food chain restaurant chain called “Teekhi Mirch”.
Successfully ran the restaurant for 9 months. Got a break even on the overall running cost from the 5th month (which is rare across industry). Some of the sales strategy included ,
1. Segmentation of the customer base to value segments and offering different product and service levels to each segment
2. Product bundling to find best combo for each segment.
3. Retention calls and SMS for high attrition propensity customers.
4. Resource effective marketing strategy
5. Raw material inventory management and supply chain optimization for the food delivery
6. Streamlining the overall process.
These strategies were very rare in industry gave the restaurant a competitive edge.
2. Founder of a travel consulting company Naya sheher :
Though the company is yet to enter the market. Following are the key highlights,
1. Helps people relocating to new cities.
2. Helps client cut discounts in unknown cities and help vendor get a competitive edge
3. Helps people connect with people who are supposed to move to same cities.

Extra-curricular:
Lead a team of 100 coordinators and volunteer to conduct a college festival called Mechanica.
Won many Robotics and Industrial design competition in college.
Instrumental in various tech fest and cultural festivals organized in college
Hostel Badminton Captain.
Career goal:
Want to work in the strategy/consulting field and expand my horizon to various industries.
My plan is to apply for following,
1 of the top 10 : Wharton
1 in India : ISB
2 in Singapore : NTU and NUS (Have already been in NTU for a semester)
1 in Hong Kong University
Following are my queries,
1. Will me GMAT 1st attempt have a negative impact on my application. If yes, then to what extent?
2. Do you think I should apply to more of top 10 universities. If yes, do you think I stand a good chance
3. Do you think I should mention my ventures in my application.
4. Thank You!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2013, 09:05
Expert's post
Hi tavishsrivastava,

Thanks for your post. Regarding your GMAT score, you do have a strong score. One thing that is important to remember is that on your application, your highest score is self-reported, which is why admissions teams focus on your best score. Our recommendation is normally that if you feel you can improve your score by 30+ points, there is no harm in taking the test again, although you do have a strong score.

For business schools, we typically do not recommend candidates apply to more than 6 MBA programs. With your ventures, discussing this in your application can add new angles and depth to your candidacy.

If you'd like, we have a case study here of an Indian engineer who was accepted into a top MBA program: http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

We also provide free 30 minute phone consultations here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,
Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap