I am planning to apply for B schools in Fall 2014. But I am totally confused because of my low scores. Please help me to solve this confusion.
To start with, I am an Indian guy born in a Nanded, a city in Maharashtra state. Done schooling from 5 different schools due to fathers continuously shifting service oriented job. Majored in Electronics and telecommunication Engineering from University of Pune (2012 graduate). I recently scored 660 (Q49 V31 IR5) on GMAT. It was my second attempt. In first attempt, a month ago, I scored 620 (Q49 V27 IR6 AWA 5). I have also given TOEFL (score 101).
-Engineering : 65% (approx 3.2 to 3.3 GPA)
-Ranked 1st in Information and Technology
Work Experience : (16 months professional experience + 5 Months Academic Project during graduation)
-Academic Project in Smartleaven Digital Systems pvt. ltd (Final year of graduation)
-R&D engineer (Electronics circuits design and microprocessor programming) in Smartleaven Digital Systems pvt. ltd (4 months)
-Web designer & developer in Konark Media solutions pvt. ltd (12 months - Present)
-My own Online Technology Magazine start-up with other 3 partners [www(dot)technomyte(dot)com](simultaneous with above two - 12 months)
Extra curricular :
-Final Year of graduation: Electronics and Telecommunication Department Head in Technical Festival 'M-Pulse 2012' (55-60 people team and 5 different events).
-Final Year of Graduation: Campus-Placements Coordinator (6 people team).
-Third Year of Graduation: Head of event 'SUDOKU' (Maths quiz) in Technical festival M-Pulse 2011(15 people team).
-Third Year of Graduation: Treasurer of Telecommunication and Electronics Students Association (TEESA) (8 people core management team)(1 year).
-Third Year of Graduation: Head of Social Activity Week: Blood donation camps, Pollution Under control camps, and Seminar on rural teaching and development.
-Second year of Graduation: Technical Section Head of college Magazine ‘Karmanya- Decade edition’(10-12 people team).
Guitarist, Disk-Jockey(Not professional).
I am interested in Entrepreneurship, Marketing and Finance, and have so far shortlisted some of these programs. I am planing to apply to the Round 2 (Dec-13/Jan-14)
1. University of Texas - Austin - McCombs
2. Duke University - Fuqua
3. Kenan-flager business school
4. Purdue University - Krannert school of Management
5. Smith school of business
6. Smeal school of business
7. Katz business school
I have following questions
1. Can I get admission to any of these programs?
2. Do you recommend any other programs for my Profile?
3. Is 2 months time sufficient to write essays and all application requisite for these schools?
4. How should I start preparing for Essay (Resources)?
5. Need more information about financial support (Scholarship/Fellowship/Loan).
I request you to please reply. Thank you.
1. Duke, UT and UNC are stretches. I would discourage your even trying Duke. You have a decent chance at the other programs.
2. I also suggest you consider Babson.
3. If you are diligent about it, yes.
4. We have lots of resources to help you with your MBA Essays
. Please explore http://www.accepted.com/mba/applicationessays.aspx
. You may also be interested in my book, MBA Admission for Smarties,which you can find at http://www.mbaadmissionforsmarties.com
5. Sorry, can't help with that.
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog