Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 09:47
I am an Indian female engineer currently working as Electronics Instrumentation engineer in OIL & GAS consultancy PSU. This year july I will complete 2 year work ex. My GMAT score 700 (Q48, V38, IR 4, AWA 5.5).GPA 3.9, CLASS 10th : 88%, 12th : 92 % (JADAVPUR UNIVERSITY, INDIA). With 3 year work experience and 700 GMAT is it possible to get into top 10 US programs for MBA if I apply next year?? If not, with 40 points increase in my score, and same 3 years work ex what are improved chances?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 23:23
Hi there,

Your profile is pretty good. Your academics, work experience and GMAT Score are fine. 3-4 years of work experience is what most of the B-School asks for. Your GMAT Score is fine.

Based on your profile and GMAT Score, I would suggest you to target B-Schools like Duke Fuqua, UCLA, NYU Stern, Michigan Ross and Darden. This is the ideal time for you to apply for MBA programs. I would suggest you to shortlist your B-Schools and start drafting your essays.

If you happen to based out of Mumbai, you may also attend the MBA workshop organized by the team of Top Ivy League B-School alumni and admissions director of ISB. Register here http://bit.ly/SxPCj4 for info session.

Feel free to write if you have any further queries.

Cheers!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 1

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 04:30
Expert's post
Hey there,

Before I can give you any answers, I'm going to need a lottttt more info. What do you DO at PSU? With 2 years, what do you have under your belt in the way of leadership / impact / scope? What do you do outside of work? Also, since you're relatively young, what were you involved in during undergrad? Any work experiences there?

The more info you can give us, the better!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 19:36
Hi bhavik, I basically work as a design instrumentation engineer in the PSU, it involves designing of equipments for petroleum refineries, nuclear projects,modelling infrastructure projects,vendor evaluation, technical tender making, bidding document preperation, costing analysis and lot more.SInce it is a PSU performance doesn't drive promotions, u get it with ascertained time, after 4 yrs of joining will b promoted as senior engineer, so apply after 3 or 4 yrs, my designnation will b same, apart from job I teach few students, work often for NGO,trained classical dancer, performed and choreographed shows, pls tell me what else u need to knw

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 19:38
Before engineering I have done physics hons, 1st class and distinction in that, had 3 month training in SAIL steel plant and certificate for that.Represented school in national dance competition,

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 1

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 06:30
Expert's post
That's great info - thanks for sharing it! Ok, so your statement about work makes sense in terms of title. But let me ask you this - how will your job responsibilities / activities change in your upcoming year? What are you expected to be doing and what can you realistically and aggressively pursue?

Here - what I'm trying to get at is besides just your title, what will another year MEAN for you? Right now your work experience is really technical and rather tactical - which is par for the course as an engineer. But it's unimpressive for an engineer who wants an MBA. So titles are great, but what are you going to be DOING next year?

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

Re: please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2014, 22:46
hi bhargav
Hi Sir, as you said 2 year Work ex and 700 GMAT both less and I should wait for 1 more year and retake gmat also ,

But sir I came across few things that makes me doubt over applying in TOP US Bschools for MBA even if I get 750+. these are :

1) The tution fees are huge of the order 50 lac and the scholarship amount in top schools are nominal. In that case for loan I need a U.S co-signer which I dont have.
2) Also there is a requirement of mortgauge or guarenter if I take loan of full amount from India.This too is not possible for me.

In that case, please suggest which US B schools I can apply that gives almost 50% or higher scholarship and good placements as well , I think those schools will be bellow in rank and for them 700 is good. Please let me know what should I do now?

My complete profile is as under:
currently working as Electronics Instrumentation engineer in OIL & GAS consultancy PSU. With 2 year work ex. My GMAT score 700 (Q48, V38, IR 4, AWA 5.5). CLASS 10th : 88%, class 12th : 92 % . .Btech topper in college (TOP 10 colleges in India)
WORK EXPERIENCE DETAILS : Bidding document preperation, vendor evaluation, tender preperation, cost analysis for procurement, hazard/risk analysis study for human & environment safety, technical designing of instruments for various sectors like cross-country pipeline, nuclear reactors, infrastructure, refineries, solar panels, power & energy sector .No international exposure but independent overseas client handling.
Internship : STEEL AUTHORITY OF INDIA LTD (SAIL)(Durgapur)
ACHIEVEMENTS : 5th topper in CBSE from KOLKATA region in class 12th. Highest in maths & science score in kolkata region CBSE in class 10th.
PHYSICS HONORS (1st class, Distinction, from top University) followed by Btech(9.3 out of 10 CGPA)
XAT 2014 percentile 94. Dropped the idea of studying in India, so didnt think to pursue it further.
EXTRA CURRICULARS : Graduate in Indian Classical Dance.
Part time dance teacher in one of the popular NGO in Delhi. Choreoraphed number of dance performances in college and school, won National level dance programs.
Leadership qualitty : Was cultural Captian of school
Cultural General Secretary at University.
Won number of competions in school , college and at office.
Re: please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2014, 22:46