Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2006, 11:42
I am a 29yr old Chinese male looking to apply to an MBA program for Fall'07.

Graduated SUNY Binghamton degree in Economics with a 2.975 GPA ( is that close enough to be considered a 3? I didnt know they could even break a GPA down to that degree)
However, I started my undergrad at UMICH and my gpa was horrible (2.4 to be exact). Transferred after two years.

GMAT: 1st attempt - 700 total. Q47, V40. AWA6

Work -

After undergrad, 1.5yrs at Citigroup in financial control. Expense reporting, budgeting , forecasting. Promoted in a year for financial accountability of a separate section of Citigroup (separate from the section I was assiting my manager with). Hated the job and quit to take roll in startup family business (which I am still involved in now).

The nature of the business is Textile sales. We work with various mills in China and with various clients in the garment district of NYC. It is not a retail business. The fabric sold is in large bulk qty. None of it comes to the states. We arrange for it to shipped to the client's garment making facilities in Asia or South America. It is a small business (started with my mom and I, then we added another person in NY, then added 3 more in Shanghai where we also have an office). My work entails securing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, servicing and entertaining clients, maintaining sound business relationships with the clients, managing the staff here and in China. A large part of the business is learning how to effectively put out fires. In dealing with China, there are ALWAYS problems with production. My job requires that I effectiely work out the problems and arrive at a solution which works for both supplier and customer.
As it is a small business, i pretty much do everything and anything that needs to get done. All the duties were split between my mom and I. After 1 year, we hired an assistant in NY to help with bookeeping and small random tasks. After about 3 yrs into the business, mom left for Shanghai and I stayed in NY. Therefore all responsibilites of dealing with clients were left to me. I have drastically changed my work ethic...whereas previously I worked 9-5 at Citigroup, now I work as long as it takes. Several times during the year, there are 12-14 hr days. I am on the phone with China almost every morning and every night.

I have travelled to China several times for business. Have spent weeks at a time out in the countrysides of China (where the mills are) working with the people there. I have also travelled along with my clients to China for the purpose of servicing them and ensuring their visits run smoothly with the non english speaking Chinese. A big part of it is also to make sure our mills get the proper positive exposure.

It has been 5 years since the start of the business and personally i have grown tired of it and do not see a long term future career in this field. We grew the business from bascially nothing to something lucrative. However, my outlook on the industry is bleak as China is essentially squeezing out a lot of the smaller players (like us).

I intend to acquire an MBA for the purpose of going into a finance related field. My interest lies in real estate finance. The nature of the business intrigues me as there is a strong element of entrepreneurship to it. Also, the fact that real estate is almost a universl language appeals to me as well. I have lived all my life in NYC and am now growing quite sick of it. I feel an MBA plus concentration in real estate finance will open up various job markets from all over the world. I have taken two real estate classes at teh beginning of this year at NYU but aside from that, i dont have any other experience in the field.

The issue I have is that my background does not flow naturally into a real estate goal. I am currently targetting schools with more of a real estate focus but I was thinking to attack the apps with more of an international business tone to it and somehow incorporate real estate in there.

In terms of extracirriculars - I spent feb - July of this year raising money for The Leukemia society and training with them for my first triathlon (it took place in the middle of july). Prior to this triathlon, I have participated in several long distance cycling events, a few of which were donation based as well. Unfortunately there is not much beyond that.

With all that said, pls offer any advice/ critique as to how i can effectively market myself.

And in my prelim research, I am looking to apply to the following (so far):
columbia, nyu, haas, mccombs - what would my chances be for these?

which other schools should i consider?

I look forward to your response!
thank you very much
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 11:30
Expert's post
cma762 wrote:
I am a 29yr old Chinese male looking to apply to an MBA program for Fall'07.

Graduated SUNY Binghamton degree in Economics with a 2.975 GPA ( is that close enough to be considered a 3? I didnt know they could even break a GPA down to that degree)
However, I started my undergrad at UMICH and my gpa was horrible (2.4 to be exact). Transferred after two years.

GMAT: 1st attempt - 700 total. Q47, V40. AWA6

Work -

After undergrad, 1.5yrs at Citigroup in financial control. Expense reporting, budgeting , forecasting. Promoted in a year for financial accountability of a separate section of Citigroup (separate from the section I was assiting my manager with). Hated the job and quit to take roll in startup family business (which I am still involved in now).

The nature of the business is Textile sales. We work with various mills in China and with various clients in the garment district of NYC. It is not a retail business. The fabric sold is in large bulk qty. None of it comes to the states. We arrange for it to shipped to the client's garment making facilities in Asia or South America. It is a small business (started with my mom and I, then we added another person in NY, then added 3 more in Shanghai where we also have an office). My work entails securing new accounts, maintaining existing accounts, servicing and entertaining clients, maintaining sound business relationships with the clients, managing the staff here and in China. A large part of the business is learning how to effectively put out fires. In dealing with China, there are ALWAYS problems with production. My job requires that I effectiely work out the problems and arrive at a solution which works for both supplier and customer.
As it is a small business, i pretty much do everything and anything that needs to get done. All the duties were split between my mom and I. After 1 year, we hired an assistant in NY to help with bookeeping and small random tasks. After about 3 yrs into the business, mom left for Shanghai and I stayed in NY. Therefore all responsibilites of dealing with clients were left to me. I have drastically changed my work ethic...whereas previously I worked 9-5 at Citigroup, now I work as long as it takes. Several times during the year, there are 12-14 hr days. I am on the phone with China almost every morning and every night.

I have travelled to China several times for business. Have spent weeks at a time out in the countrysides of China (where the mills are) working with the people there. I have also travelled along with my clients to China for the purpose of servicing them and ensuring their visits run smoothly with the non english speaking Chinese. A big part of it is also to make sure our mills get the proper positive exposure.

It has been 5 years since the start of the business and personally i have grown tired of it and do not see a long term future career in this field. We grew the business from bascially nothing to something lucrative. However, my outlook on the industry is bleak as China is essentially squeezing out a lot of the smaller players (like us).

I intend to acquire an MBA for the purpose of going into a finance related field. My interest lies in real estate finance. The nature of the business intrigues me as there is a strong element of entrepreneurship to it. Also, the fact that real estate is almost a universl language appeals to me as well. I have lived all my life in NYC and am now growing quite sick of it. I feel an MBA plus concentration in real estate finance will open up various job markets from all over the world. I have taken two real estate classes at teh beginning of this year at NYU but aside from that, i dont have any other experience in the field.

The issue I have is that my background does not flow naturally into a real estate goal. I am currently targetting schools with more of a real estate focus but I was thinking to attack the apps with more of an international business tone to it and somehow incorporate real estate in there.

In terms of extracirriculars - I spent feb - July of this year raising money for The Leukemia society and training with them for my first triathlon (it took place in the middle of july). Prior to this triathlon, I have participated in several long distance cycling events, a few of which were donation based as well. Unfortunately there is not much beyond that.

With all that said, pls offer any advice/ critique as to how i can effectively market myself.

And in my prelim research, I am looking to apply to the following (so far):
columbia, nyu, haas, mccombs - what would my chances be for these?

which other schools should i consider?

I look forward to your response!
thank you very much

cma762,

It's not the kiss of death that your work experience thus far is unconnected to real estate, but you do have to explain where the real estate goal came from--family real estate ventures, tales from friends in real estate, browsing through career guides? Then you have to make the career switch real by showing them you've done your due diligence and that means talking to people in the field (ideally alums from your target schools)--i.e., informational interviews, schmoozing at conferences, whatever.

The schools you listed make sense given your goals. I think Columbia will be tough because it may be difficult to show that the magnitude of your achievements in your family firm are comparable to the achievements of applicants they normally see. Your age and comparatively weak community profile are also negatives (age less so). Haas and NYU might come through for you if you position your international and family business experiences in a compelling way. You should be fine at Texas.

As for other schools with strong real estate programs, consider Wisconsin and USC.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Retake Calculus? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 07:43
Paul,
Another issue I forgot to bring up in previous post is the fact that I got a C- in Calculus. After going thru some websites for certain schools, it seems that calculus is a subject that is emphasized as either a mandatory or unofficial prerequisite.

Would you recommend that I retake calc at a local college?

Also, what is the different between differential and integral calculus (a distinction that was made on Sloan's FAQ site)?

thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Retake Calculus? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 10:16
cma762 wrote:
Paul,
Another issue I forgot to bring up in previous post is the fact that I got a C- in Calculus. After going thru some websites for certain schools, it seems that calculus is a subject that is emphasized as either a mandatory or unofficial prerequisite.

Would you recommend that I retake calc at a local college?

Also, what is the different between differential and integral calculus (a distinction that was made on Sloan's FAQ site)?

thanks!

cma762,

Yes, I recommend that you retake the calc and ace it. As for your calculus question, check out Wikipedia.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter