Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Please Evaluate My Profile [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2006, 06:44
Thanks in advance for looking at my profile!

I majored in Economics at Notre Dame (2.9 GPA). Unfortunately I wasn't very involved in school so I don't have much from these four years to help my application.

I have a 750 GMAT.

I'm 28, white male, with six years work experience. I worked as a mutual fund accountant for two years before moving into the healthcare industry where I have been the last few years. I actually have a fairly interesting job: My company works as a collective negotiating entity on behalf of a physician and hospital network. We broker deals with insurance companies to get higher rates for our constituents. These deals require our physicians/hospitals to meet quality and efficiency benchmarks so a lot of my work involves looking at clinical data to identify utilization trends. The financial arrangements behind these deals are pretty complicated so I do a lot of modeling with those to help evaluate the deals.

I do not have any direct reports, though I do supervise and mentor junior analysts in my group.

I have also been working as a freelance writer for the last few years for the largest circulated newspaper in New York (which isn't a prestigious paper, more like a free daily that people read on the subway, but nonetheless still the most circulated).

I don't have much community service to speak aside from a few random things I do each year (cancer walk, volunteer for holiday toy drive, etc...)

What would you say my chances are at: Stern, MIT, Harvard, Boston College, Yale?

If I address my low GPA in a "What else would you like us to know?" type essay, should I ONLY address the GPA, or is it okay to then discuss hobbies/interests?

Is it pretentious to mention extensive travel (outside of work or school) in essays? I've been to some pretty interesting far away places but I dont know if that is worth getting into for the limited benefit it might create.

Thanks again for your help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

More Info [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2006, 07:13
Sorry forgot to include "Why An MBA?"

The company I work for has made some pretty impressive improvements in terms of the increase in quality of care that our physicians/hopsitals deliver. I want to continue working in a provider organization similar to the one I work for now. Ideally, I would like to run a provider organization one day. These companies have very progressive mission statements and with the healthcare crisis our country is going through, there are a lot of challenges. But there are so many amazing programs that these companies develop and implement. It sounds corny, but really to affect that kind of change is immensely rewarding, so I would love to work for a company like Kaiser Permanente.

One more question: I think the best path for me would be to get into healthcare consulting for a few years after b-school. As a consultant I would get to see how different organizations handle similar problems, and see which ones work and which don't. It would give me true expertise. From there I could then move back to a provider organization. But I also realize that the "consulting after b-school plan" sounds very generic. Should I not mention that in my positioning and just focus on my plans working in a provider organization?

Thanks again!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: More Info [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2006, 14:22
johnnyx9 wrote:
Sorry forgot to include "Why An MBA?"

The company I work for has made some pretty impressive improvements in terms of the increase in quality of care that our physicians/hopsitals deliver. I want to continue working in a provider organization similar to the one I work for now. Ideally, I would like to run a provider organization one day. These companies have very progressive mission statements and with the healthcare crisis our country is going through, there are a lot of challenges. But there are so many amazing programs that these companies develop and implement. It sounds corny, but really to affect that kind of change is immensely rewarding, so I would love to work for a company like Kaiser Permanente.

One more question: I think the best path for me would be to get into healthcare consulting for a few years after b-school. As a consultant I would get to see how different organizations handle similar problems, and see which ones work and which don't. It would give me true expertise. From there I could then move back to a provider organization. But I also realize that the "consulting after b-school plan" sounds very generic. Should I not mention that in my positioning and just focus on my plans working in a provider organization?

Thanks again!

johnnyx9,

Your interesting profile (career, outside writing, goals) and high GMAT make you competitive at Stern, MIT, and Yale. I could see 2 of them coming through for you if you execute your essays well--i.e., take full advantage of your positives to compensate for your negatives. However, your lack of strong leadership and community service makes Harvard a long shot for you. Boston College is a safety for you.

If you have specific reasons for the GPA, i.e., circumstances out of your control, then that may worth discussing in an optional essay. If it was just the standard maturity or focus stuff, then it's probably not worth talking about. A 2.9 is not bad and your GMAT certainly does some damage control for you. Mixed essays that talk about totally different things (GPA, then hobbies) aren't usually very compelling. For HBS 1, however, you should cover both grades and extracurriculars in the same essay.

It's not pretentious to talk about your travel but it can fail to add value if you don't draw some lessons learned from the travel. If you were just a tourist in these places then its value is negligible.

Yes, consulting after the MBA is pretty common, but schools certainly understand why people do that (school debt) and it does seem to tie into your goals, so no harm in offering that. It may actually help to show that you are being realistic about your unusual goals.

You may want to read Accepted.com's advice on low GPAconcerns.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Director
Director

Thanks! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2006, 05:53
Many thanks Paul!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Thanks! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2006, 09:37
johnnyx9 wrote:
Many thanks Paul!

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter