Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate my Profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please Evaluate my Profile [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 12:58
Hi,

Thank you in advance for looking at my profile. I am planning to apply to NYU Langone Part-Time Program for Fall 2008. Can you please tell me what my chances are?

Background:

I am 24 years old male. I came to the United States 9 years ago from Russia. So English is not my native language. I went to high school in US for almost 2 years and then went to college.

Education:

Polytechnic University (Brooklyn, New York) - Graduated in 2005
BS in Computer Science (I took several graduate programming courses as well in addition to required courses)
GPA - 3.3 out of 4.0

GMAT:

AWA - 4.5
I took GMAT second time just recently, but got a lower score. I am not sure if this is going to look weird on my application.

Work Experience:

I’ve been working for almost 3 years as a software developer for a vendor, whose product is used by major investment banks all over the world. So far I’ve worked on the projects for 2 our clients (in New York).
--- All my reviews were very good (exceeds expectations in most categories)
--- On my previous project I was managing 1 person for a certain period of time
--- I am looking to get into project management role within my company in the future (that's why I want to get MS in Management)

Activities:

--- While I was in college, I was a math/physics tutor for the last 3 years I was there.
--- I am also a personal fitness trainer. This is my hobby for the past 5 years. I workout myself plus train several people on my spare time.
--- Member at local chess community. This is my hobby as well.
--- I have many other interests: tennis, swimming, reading, and traveling.

Goal:

Get MS in Management of Technology. In the future I want to be a project manager of IT group in a financial institution.

Thanks again for your time!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please Evaluate my Profile [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 20:31
Expert's post
homutovs,

I'm afraid you are a long shot for NYU Stern part-time. The GMAT score is near the lower edge of the middle 80% and doesn't appear to be compensated for in work profile, which seems short on leadership, or community profile, which seems short on leadership and impact. Fortunately for you, you are still very young so you have time to improve all of these criteria and offer NYU and other top schools a more compelling profile.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate my Profile [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 23:16
Hi,

I see that you're interest in getting into Project Management. This article on becoming a Project Manager can help you evaluate yourself on whether you really cut it or not as a Project Manager.

Additionally, you can check this Hut: Project Management Primer which is a series of articles for the beginner Project Manager. This hut nearly discusses every aspect relating to managing projects from start to finish.

Project Management - PM Hut