Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate my profile: 700gmat/3.7GPA MA, 3.4GPA BA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Please Evaluate my profile: 700gmat/3.7GPA MA, 3.4GPA BA [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
1) Work Experience: 5+ yrs in NYC
Current Employer: Top 10 European Corporate and Investment Bank.
Global Credit Management - 3 years
Loan Syndications and Trading - 2+ years (now an Associate)

2) GMAT.
700 GMAT 47math/39 verbal

3) College info:
3.4 GPA at a top 30 university in U.S.

4) Graduate School: Masters in Economics and Finance at the same school (BA/MA): 3.7 GPA

5) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service

College:
Events Coordinator at International Club
Board Member of South East Asian Club
Investment Club - Analyst

Post college:
Career Services Mentor for my undergraduate school (5 years)
3 years of mentoring high school students (3 hours a week)

Other: Thai Native, recovering from GBS (a nerve disease that paralyzed my lower body- I was out of work for 4 months).

6) Target programs.

Top 10 schools. In particular, Wharton, Columbia (J Term), Haas, Kellog, harvard, Sloan, Stern, London Business School, Insead
Do you have any recommendations?

7) Strong, personable work recommendations from supervisors

8) Post-MBA goal.

My father has a mid-sized, education-focused technology company in Bangkok, Thailand. The company recently suffered its first quarterly loss in 11 years. Post MBA I will go back to Thailand to help revive the family business.

Longterm - Expand business overseas and determine new strategic vision of business.

Do I have a shot at applying for Round 3 this year?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Please Evaluate my profile: 700gmat/3.7GPA MA, 3.4GPA BA [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Paul,

The comment on my post says that I already have your reply. But I didn't see it anywhere.
Did I miss your note?

Thanks,

Calvin
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please Evaluate my profile: 700gmat/3.7GPA MA, 3.4GPA BA [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 04:43
Expert's post
Hey Calvinbabushca,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I am not sure why the comment on your post says that I already replied - because I have not.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Calvinbabushca wrote:
Hi Paul,

The comment on my post says that I already have your reply. But I didn't see it anywhere.
Did I miss your note?

Thanks,

Calvin

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Please Evaluate my profile: 700gmat/3.7GPA MA, 3.4GPA BA [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 04:55
Expert's post
Hey Calvin:

So you're Thai? What a great country and people! The best place I have ever visited.

I will be honest with you. I would not apply in round three. The US schools you want to get into, have very few spots available. They are simply too competitive to have a lot of seats available this late in the game. With respect to the European programs, I suppose LBS and INSEAD have availability at this point. However, I am not sure how much mileage you are going to get out of LBS, given its financial focus – which means a lot of its network and benefits will be centered around London. Do like INSEAD, but I would apply to the Singapore campus. At the Singapore campus you do get to do a few weeks in France, so I hope that floats your boat a little.

With respect to the rest of your profile, you definitely have your stuff together. The only thing that concerns me slightly is your 700 GMAT score - should you apply to American business school. Fortunately, we all know that the US schools really like to see the high scores, and in my opinion focus on that way too much. But it is what it is. Should you apply to American school, I recommend retaking the GMAT and seeing if you can score 20+ points higher. That will really help ease the burden when it comes for the admissions committee to make decisions. In other words, with 20 more points you go from being a probable waitlist to a potential admit. Another thing I spotted – your quant is fine because it is about 45, but really – there is no reason your verbal should be below a 40. All you need do is get two or three more verbal questions right on the GMAT and you should easily be in the low 40's (with respect to verbal.)

I do like your entrepreneurial goals, and I do think they would be a perfect fit at Columbia's J-Term. I have helped a lot of "entrepreneurial" type applicants get into Columbia J-term. I am assuming that you already know this – but your justification for skipping the summer internship is because you already have very concrete goals. I have seen this play out well before at CBS.

So how is your health – was the condition temporary, or is it permanent? This definitely sounds like a greatest struggle type essay, and I hope you are back on your feet, in one way or another.

If you would like to set up an hour to talk on the phone – please e-mail me at MBA@Amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Calvinbabushca wrote:
1) Work Experience: 5+ yrs in NYC
Current Employer: Top 10 European Corporate and Investment Bank.
Global Credit Management - 3 years
Loan Syndications and Trading - 2+ years (now an Associate)

2) GMAT.
700 GMAT 47math/39 verbal

3) College info:
3.4 GPA at a top 30 university in U.S.

4) Graduate School: Masters in Economics and Finance at the same school (BA/MA): 3.7 GPA

5) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service

College:
Events Coordinator at International Club
Board Member of South East Asian Club
Investment Club - Analyst

Post college:
Career Services Mentor for my undergraduate school (5 years)
3 years of mentoring high school students (3 hours a week)

Other: Thai Native, recovering from GBS (a nerve disease that paralyzed my lower body- I was out of work for 4 months).

6) Target programs.

Top 10 schools. In particular, Wharton, Columbia (J Term), Haas, Kellog, harvard, Sloan, Stern, London Business School, Insead
Do you have any recommendations?

7) Strong, personable work recommendations from supervisors

8) Post-MBA goal.

My father has a mid-sized, education-focused technology company in Bangkok, Thailand. The company recently suffered its first quarterly loss in 11 years. Post MBA I will go back to Thailand to help revive the family business.

Longterm - Expand business overseas and determine new strategic vision of business.

Do I have a shot at applying for Round 3 this year?

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton