Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Please Evaluate my profile [#permalink]
Thanks guys, I've been so worried about the GPA thing I'm afraid I set my sights too high. I can't fix the GPA now, but I've tried to do what I can to mitigate it. if college had gone on for another 3 or 4 years I would have been rock solid. Figuring out how to be successful was basically a matter of learning that I couldn't do it all myself. I needed to go to professors, form study groups, etc. I'd never had to do that before and it took me a while to get over myself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
Thanks guys, I've been so worried about the GPA thing I'm afraid I set my sights too high. I can't fix the GPA now, but I've tried to do what I can to mitigate it. if college had gone on for another 3 or 4 years I would have been rock solid. Figuring out how to be successful was basically a matter of learning that I couldn't do it all myself. I needed to go to professors, form study groups, etc. I'd never had to do that before and it took me a while to get over myself.

Those are all good learning experiences though and would be excellent essay material in my opinion!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I will just add that there's a lot of potential in your overall profile, but in my opinion, your reason to pursue an MBA sounds a lot like you want to go just to get your "ticket punched" and move on to an executive position in industry. While there's nothing wrong with that in itself, I strongly recommend fashioning a more pithy response to the "Why MBA?" question every school's application is going to ask of you.

And careful how you explain managing the finances on contracts where you "had no idea" (red flag!) what people were doing. I'm sure that's actually quite impressive that you're doing something like this, but be wary of the fact that it may come across differently to someone (such as an application reader) who's not intimately familiar with your industry.

Good luck, Sleepy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
I will just add that there's a lot of potential in your overall profile, but in my opinion, your reason to pursue an MBA sounds a lot like you want to go just to get your "ticket punched" and move on to an executive position in industry. While there's nothing wrong with that in itself, I strongly recommend fashioning a more pithy response to the "Why MBA?" question every school's application is going to ask of you.

And careful how you explain managing the finances on contracts where you "had no idea" (red flag!) what people were doing. I'm sure that's actually quite impressive that you're doing something like this, but be wary of the fact that it may come across differently to someone (such as an application reader) who's not intimately familiar with your industry.

Good luck, Sleepy.

Just to be clear, I don't have no idea what they do because I'm not aware of what's going on at my job, I have no idea of what they do because it would be illegal for them to tell me.

I have a more indepth explaination of my career goals in my essays, but basically i want to switch career tracks to get out of the finance progression and get into the management progression, to be successful at that I need to pick up some new skills, school and a short stint consulting are the path to that. If wanting to go to school to want to learn things and advance my career in the direction I want counts as wanting to "get my ticket punched" then I suppose that is my motivation...I'm confused, why would you want to go to school other than learning things?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I think you would really benefit from creating an alternative transcript.

Enroll in a few business related courses, get a high GPA and you should be good to go.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Sleepy, the "ticket punched" comment was in response to your "finishing school" remark in your original post - at least in my opinion, business schools like to think the education they offer is significantly more technical and insightful than one at a "finishing school." That's all I wanted to point out. Your third post outlines your motivations to go to business school more in depth and that's great.

And I understand at the classified nature of the work you do, but you may want to consider just talking about managing the finances for 6 federal contracts and leave it at that. To someone unfamiliar with your work, talk of "surreal" experiences managing finances for contracts so classified even you don't know much about them makes things a bit confusing.

Sleepy wrote:
Just to be clear, I don't have no idea what they do because I'm not aware of what's going on at my job, I have no idea of what they do because it would be illegal for them to tell me.

I have a more indepth explaination of my career goals in my essays, but basically i want to switch career tracks to get out of the finance progression and get into the management progression, to be successful at that I need to pick up some new skills, school and a short stint consulting are the path to that. If wanting to go to school to want to learn things and advance my career in the direction I want counts as wanting to "get my ticket punched" then I suppose that is my motivation...I'm confused, why would you want to go to school other than learning things?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sorry solaris, I think I took that the wrong way. :oops:

I've been discussing the weirdness of my job in interviews instead of in essays. I've mentioned that working for a contractor that handles mostly classified contracts can be very isolating for employees in the context of discussing the recent graduates network I helped found, but other than that I haven't talked much about it. I think it's a differentiating factor, because I don't want to get lumped in with the other "finance" guys. My experience is kind of unique for finance because I work in such a strange industry. I'm not sure it that was the right way to handle it but that's mostly what I've done.
GMAT Club Bot