Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile (760 GMAT 3.3 GPA)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.31
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Please evaluate my profile (760 GMAT 3.3 GPA) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 10:48
Hello,

I would very much appreciate some feedback on my application profile. My target school is Columbia but will be applying to other top 10 programs (Stanford, Haas, Wharton...). Am I being realistic? Thank you!

About myself:
1. White male, 28 years old

2. Employment overview: Litigation/Forensic Accounting Consultant at reputable firm with 5 years of work experience, 2 promotions with the most recent being to a management position. Decent leadership experience, multiple engagements where I managed large teams of consultants. Expect strong LOR's from immediate manager and managing director who I have worked with my entire career.

3. Education: 3.31 GPA from smaller private So Cal university (think LMU, Chapman, Pomona), finance major. The honest story is I did not "get it" as an undergrad and did not take school seriously. Once I got an internship it lit a fire and I came back to school hungry and determined to prove myself. Last year in school had a 3.86 GPA in mostly finance, accounting, and math classes. Some of these classes were re-dos bc I had C's previously and wanted to improve my GPA.

4. Level III candidate in the CFA program, I sit for Level III in June.

5. Extra curriculars: I started a small real estate investment company in 2012 with two partners to purchase a foreclosed property, rehabilitate it, and rent it out. Currently own a 3 unit rental property with strong cash flow return. Rehabbed from a foreclosed and vacant disaster to safe clean home for 3 families. Unsure how to best present this story.

Manage personal equity portfolio in line with my interest in value investing.

Somewhat limited as far as philanthropy. Have been involved with a variety of charitable causes and events but little long term commitment. Working to continue involvement with some of the organizations I have volunteered with in the past. Home building project in Mexico, volunteer home rehab in low income neighborhoods, trying to become a mentor but it may be a bit late for that.

6. Career goal: Work as an analyst or associate at a top asset management firm or value focused hedge fund. Eventually start my own fund using a value strategy. Focus on long term approach, low risk strategy, ethical dealing with investors, and advocacy of shareholder rights.

7. GMAT: 760 (48Q, 47V), 8 IR, 5 AWA, first attempt.

I want to apply early decision to Columbia as I believe my career goals align best with their program. I plan to visit this spring, attend an information session and class visit, and meet with students and faculty. I will also be visiting Stanford and Haas, possibly Wharton as well. Considering Anderson as a semi-safety, hope that doesn't come across as naive or arrogant. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Please evaluate my profile (760 GMAT 3.3 GPA)   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2014, 10:48