Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 31 May 2009, 21:20
This is the first time that I'm posting in Ph.D forum. I used to be an active member here in 2004-05 when I took my GMAT. :) Anyway, I am thinking of starting my application procedure for a Ph.D in Finance and was wondering if anyone will be kind enough to evaluate my profile.

Undegrad: Bachelor's in Socio-Legal Sciences (3 years course with Law major). Graduated from a Top 3 Law School in India. I don't know the exact GPA though.
Graduate: MBA in Finance. GPA 4.0/4.00. Graduated in December 2007 from a State University (not in Top 50). Some of the courses taken: Investments, Derivatives, Corporate Finance, Financial Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Financial Management.
Additional Certification: Passed two levels of CFA on first attempt. Plan to take Level 3 next year.
Research: No published work. Haven't presented anything at a seminar. I do have a couple of semester papers that I'd written.
GMAT: I have 620 in GMAT (6.0 in AWA). This was taken in 2004 and I plan to re-take it.
Work exp: 1+ years as a Business Analyst in top agri cultural biotech firm. I was also a Graduate Assistant for 3 semesters during my MBA. Apart from this, I have interned with two law firms in India.

At this point, I'm not sure if it's worth putting in an application. I can confident that I can come up with strong recommendations from my professors. Is it realistic to assume that I do have a shot of getting an admit in Top 25 Ph.D Programs in the US?

Thanks for your help!

Ruhi

Let's get it right!!!!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2009, 03:43
ruhi wrote:
This is the first time that I'm posting in Ph.D forum. I used to be an active member here in 2004-05 when I took my GMAT. :) Anyway, I am thinking of starting my application procedure for a Ph.D in Finance and was wondering if anyone will be kind enough to evaluate my profile.

Undegrad: Bachelor's in Socio-Legal Sciences (3 years course with Law major). Graduated from a Top 3 Law School in India. I don't know the exact GPA though.
Graduate: MBA in Finance. GPA 4.0/4.00. Graduated in December 2007 from a State University (not in Top 50). Some of the courses taken: Investments, Derivatives, Corporate Finance, Financial Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Financial Management.
Additional Certification: Passed two levels of CFA on first attempt. Plan to take Level 3 next year.
Research: No published work. Haven't presented anything at a seminar. I do have a couple of semester papers that I'd written.
GMAT: I have 620 in GMAT (6.0 in AWA). This was taken in 2004 and I plan to re-take it.
Work exp: 1+ years as a Business Analyst in top agri cultural biotech firm. I was also a Graduate Assistant for 3 semesters during my MBA. Apart from this, I have interned with two law firms in India.

At this point, I'm not sure if it's worth putting in an application. I can confident that I can come up with strong recommendations from my professors. Is it realistic to assume that I do have a shot of getting an admit in Top 25 Ph.D Programs in the US?

Thanks for your help!

Ruhi

I think your profile looks fine, but the 2004 GMAT score is definitely at odds with your MBA GPA and CFA credentials. I have no data to support it but for a top 25 program in Finance, you probably will need to score at least 720 with a very good quant score.

It doesn't really matter that you haven't had any research done. It may matter, however, that you don't have much of a math/econ-oriented graduate pedigree (Econometrics, Stochastic Calculus, Microeconomics, and so on). I wouldn't say that's a deal breaker (your GMAT score as it stands probably is) but if you could take 1-2 graduate economics or math courses over the next year, that'd boost your profile quite a bit (even if you haven't completed them by the time you turn in your application).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 12

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 14:06
I agree that your GMAT score is way too low to be taken as a serious candidate. At the very minimum you will need to score 700 or demonstrate high proficiency in the quant section. I would recommend brushing up on some statistics/calculus courses since many PhD courses are math heavy. You seem to come from an interesting background though, so i wouldn't be surprised if you were competitive at many places once you up that score.
Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2009, 14:06