Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE 1: insurance
WE 2: IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 12:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Summary - 740/5 years Work ex/ masters/ Gap - 2 years

I will appreciate if you can evaluate my profile

Interest - Management Consulting
Education - Engineer (Computers) - 78% (honors) - don't know how to convert
Masters (Business Administration) - 6.15/8 (Both from India)
Workex - Total 60 months (In India)
3 years - India's largest private insurer. Promoted twice. Moved across functions and geographies. Managed and
led teams. Part of management's talent pool of future leaders. Strategy role
16 months - Before masters in IT sector. Retrenched once.

Extra Curriculars - Co-Ex Director at an non-profit (USA) , Volunteer at another - advocate for domestic violence victimes(USA), Avid blogger.

GMAT - 740 (41V, 49 Q, 4.5 AWA)
Moved to USA a year ago due to personal reasons. Current visa status does not allow employment.

Age at completion of MBA - 32
Schools applied to (Class of 2012)
Booth R2
LSB R2
Yale R2
Ross R2
(Did not waive my right to recommendations
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 03:55
The post is a little dated. So let me know if you are still waiting for an answer. Or if you have a different set of queries.

All R2 apps submitted. How's it going so far?

Sameer

The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Manager
Manager

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 14:32
Well thoughts are very welcome. Will help ms shape my round 3 apps. No invites yet.

Have started working on Duke and Columbia. Any safety schools that you recommend?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 9

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
>> Any safety schools that you recommend?

I could take the easy way out by recommending a few schools and wishing you good luck. But with your permission, I'd like to probe you a little more.

For second MBA applicants, things aren't as straightforward (I know that's a grossly inappropriate adjective, but we are speaking in relative terms here) as it is for the 'regular' candidates.

In your last MBA course, you've already gone through the rigours. You know the theory and the concepts involved in finance, marketing, strategy etc etc. And you still want to go for a second degree. So Adcoms will look for a solid justification from you for choosing this route again.

Your engineering grades are great, your work-ex sound pretty good (two promotions in 3 years isn't too shabby, sir), you have international experience, team leading exposure and the GMAT is strong. All the nice things that adcoms look for.

But if you still haven't got an invite from the earlier applications, you might to take some time out to introspect.

Is it you profile or is it your story-line? Do your explanations and your essays sound convincing? Are you sure you aren't repeating the exact same approach for Duke and Columbia?

You might want to re-consider your post-MBA goals. Management Consulting firms usually hire MBAs at the Associate level. Do you think you'd be a good fit for mainstream strat consulting or should you look at something like tech consulting? Are you open to considering other avenues?

Btw, considering your age and your qualifications, shouldn't you have close to 7 years work-ex? Anything that I'm missing here? If you don't want to disclose it on a public forum, let me know offline.

Happy to continue this discussion if you find it useful.

Sameer

The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Manager
Manager

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 14:44
Sent you a pm

Last edited by itsmystery on 09 Feb 2010, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 16:11
itsmystery wrote:
Just got my first ding. LBS rejected me without an interview.

Think I am not executing my application right as you said. Need to work even more for Columbia and Duke. I know the Associate level recruitment at consulting firms.

My parallel plans are Sales and Trading and Corporate Strategy. Both of which do not find a mention in my business school application. I need to reevaluate a lot of stuff.

Will appreciate help for sure. Sent you a pm as well.

Hi there,

Just saw this message. I have a couple thoughts on your application but thought to send you a pm. Hope it helps.

All the best!

My MBA Admit
Khyati Soparkar, Lead Consultant
MBA Admissions Consultants
New York, NY

Contact us for a Free Initial Consultation

Just starting the MBA application process? Our Candidate Profiling and School Selection report is currently offered for $100 only! This 10-page report conducts a multidimensional profile evaluation, and provides you with a comprehensive list of business schools that match. Click to Find Out More!

MBAConsult@MyMBAAdmit.com

Read the My MBA Admit Blog

Follow My MBA Admit on Twitter and Facebook!

Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2010, 16:11