Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 00:55
Hello! I'm thinking about preparing for b-school applications for 2011. Can you please go through my profile and give me some advice on how to leverage my chances of getting into the schools i'm targeting at?

Thanks!

Nationality: Asian but have U.S. permanent residency
GMAT:770
Work experience: 2 years
Education: Bachelors of Science in Finance from a state school in the midwest region
GPA: 2.71 (had a very rough senior year)

Worked at a commercial bank in Shanghai for around 8 months and got interested in actuarial science. Achieved ASA designation (Associate of the Society of Actuaries) and passed CFA I and II within 1.5 years after undergrad graduation.

After quitting work at the commercial bank, I partnered up with a tech firm in mainland China and moved back the U.S. to sell its products. Achieved $3 million in sales the first year, and appointed the Vice President of Marketing for North America region.

I know my GPA is low compared to most applicants, but I passed many exams for actuarial science and CFA afterwards. Will that help a lot in improving my chances?

Target schools:
1. Harvard
2. Stanford
3. Wharton
4. Columbia
5. NYU
6. MIT
7. Michigan
8. Yale
9. UC Berkeley
10. Northwestern
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 23:54
HBS, Stanford and Wharton are likely long shots. The only thing going that is above average compared to the folks who apply to these three schools is your GMAT score - and having an above average GMAT compared to your fellow H/S/W applicants isn't enough to make you competitive (especially when you *need* that high GMAT to balance out your low GPA - and no, doing the CFA won't really help). If you really want to apply, choose one of these three as your lottery ticket. Sounds like you've had a promising career to start -- you seem to have a talent for sales. But again keep in mind that you're competing against some highly accomplished applicants as well.

Columbia, Kellogg - stretch; maybe even competitive. Apply Early Decision for Columbia. With strong essays and a bit of luck, you have a chance.

The rest of the schools, you should be competitive for assuming you can really do a great sell job on your essays (goals, accomplishments, etc). With these schools, it's really a matter of choosing 2-3 that you really want to go to, and then ditching the rest.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Please evaluate my profile   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2010, 23:54