Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 15:53
Hi all,

I am currently preparing for GMAT which I intend to take in May end. I plan to start writing essays in the summer of 2010 for the academic year starting fall 2011.Could you please advise what my are my chances to get into Top 15 MBA Schools.

1) Basic demographic info: Nationality/age/gender,
Indian citizen working in the US/29/Male (will be 30 when I apply)

2) Educational Background: undergrad major, GPA, GMAT score, any grad work you've done

BE, Electrical Engineering 2002: 68%, Rank: 7 out of 33 students
MS, EEE 2006: GPA: 2.98/4
GMAT: planning to give GMAT in May 2010. Hoping to get greater than 700

3) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?
Employer: I am currently working for a Consulting Company as a Software Developer with System Analyst role Lately I started my interest's in and about business,Consulting with Entreprener Concentration.

4) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?
Other than work, I enjoy giving Review's about Technology Products among my Collegues; say in My Office all the Peers i know there was not anyone who has not Asked me about Product Reviews ranging from Computer to Electronics, hometheatre setup )Cooking, playing Cricket,Volleyball,PingPong.I do Philanthropic Work I always Believe every (every living thing) one in this world should not go to sleep with out having atleast one meal for the day and I Support any organization in this regard.But I do not Want myself being Pompous about it and doing community work just for getting admission into a B-school does not make sense.
5) Short/Long term goals:
After My MBA I would like to work for any Venture Capital Firms or Consulting firms in theTechnology sector,say I would like to grow as a Strategic Consultant to grow businesses.Eventually founding a Successful Organization..

6) Which schools have you considered already? Any on your initial short list?
I am definitely considering any of the top 15 B schools,in the Process of finding more info about these Schools and their Departments.
I want to group my Application Process as
2 Dream bet ( top 5)
3 best bet (top 10)
3 Safe bet (top 15)

Thank you very much to neeravbm ,
I have used your Profile breifing Template to write my Profile.

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by vasanthanand on 02 Jan 2010, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 21

Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS
First of all,you don't need to give out so much of your personal details.Edit your post to remove the company names.

Your Masters GPA is way too low and your UG is average.You should get atleast 740 to remain competitive considering that you fall in the Indian/IT/Male pool.

It is better if you take some online classes and get A grades.Not mandatory though.

Coming to your work,you just listed out company names without telling what you did and what leadership experiences you had.

ECs are useful to show a different dimension in an applicant.You are already in the tech sector.So providing tech reviews doesn't show anything new about you to the adcom.The issue about your other activity is,you need to pick one org and grab leadership roles.Supporting every other org doesn't add any value to the b-school app.

Bottomline:
Get good GMAT score.
Grab leadership roles at work and outside.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 22:55
Class2012 wrote:
First of all,you don't need to give out so much of your personal details.Edit your post to remove the company names.

Your Masters GPA is way too low and your UG is average.You should get atleast 740 to remain competitive considering that you fall in the Indian/IT/Male pool.

It is better if you take some online classes and get A grades.Not mandatory though.

Coming to your work,you just listed out company names without telling what you did and what leadership experiences you had.
ECs are useful to show a different dimension in an applicant.You are already in the tech sector.So providing tech reviews doesn't show anything new about you to the adcom.The issue about your other activity is,you need to pick one org and grab leadership roles.Supporting every other org doesn't add any value to the b-school app.
Bottomline:
Get good GMAT score.
Grab leadership roles at work and outside.

Thanks Much Class 2012 I really Appreciate your Speedy reply. i have changed my info a bit lit little thanks for the Feed back on that one too. May i know what are those Online Classes and get A grades are about.. I am sorry being Dumb pls light me up on that.
Your Socre range has given me atleast where i Shoud keep my Min Target Level at. so If i mange to get a min score of 740 I have chances of being competitive. Thats all i Want to kick start my GMAT prep.

The Greatest Mistake you can make in Life is Continually be afraid you will make one - Elbert Hubbard

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 06:09
You can try UCLA Extension or UC Berkeley online classes.

Look at basic accounting and finance classes.
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 13:34
Class2012 wrote:

Hi Class 2012,
Thanks for the info..
is it Mandatory that i have to take it in UCLA Extension or UCB online classes..
I am Pretty Closer to University of Houston and Rice university..May i Try also in those University..

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 21

Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 15:06
This post received
KUDOS
vasanthanand wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

Hi Class 2012,
Thanks for the info..
is it Mandatory that i have to take it in UCLA Extension or UCB online classes..
I am Pretty Closer to University of Houston and Rice university..May i Try also in those University..

Taking classes is not really necessary now.Priority should be placed on getting a good GMAT score and getting leadership roles.

Where you take the classes is upto you.But online classes would be convenient for working people
Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 10:08
Class2012 wrote:
vasanthanand wrote:
Taking classes is not really necessary now.Priority should be placed on getting a good GMAT score and getting leadership roles.

Where you take the classes is upto you.But online classes would be convenient for working people

Hei Class2012,
"Happy New Year hope you get the dream School of your choice my Best wishes for that.."

One more Question you said leadership roles.
I am a Software Contractor, it is not possible that Contractors will be awarded any leadership Roles at my client Place.. but all i can say is i started as Programmer Analyst. Now i am a Senior Software Analyst that is only valid with my Employer not at my Client. What should i do at this Situation.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback. [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 17:00
vasanthanand wrote:

One more Question you said leadership roles.
I am a Software Contractor, it is not possible that Contractors will be awarded any leadership Roles at my client Place.. but all i can say is i started as Programmer Analyst. Now i am a Senior Software Analyst that is only valid with my Employer not at my Client. What should i do at this Situation.

Leadership doesn't mean just having titles.It is about taking responsibility.Mentoring,taking initiative too count as leadership.

Try grabbing some leadership roles outside of work too.

See this http://agirlsmba.blogspot.com/2007/08/a ... ssays.html
Re: Please Evaluate my Profile and Provide me your feedback.   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2010, 17:00