Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile and suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 07:03
Hi All ,

Below is an excerpt of my profile.Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions

Name:Vishnu / 30 Y/ Male

Citizenship: INDIA

Qualification: MCA- 69%/2005.
Graduation Bsc- 69%
10+2 - 63%
10 - 75%

Work Experience: 6 years experience in IT software development industry.

Summary of my WE:

Overall International Exposure: 3 weeks for requirement gathering

Current Exp:

Team Leader – E-Commerce applications at Infosys

Duration: 0.5 Years

Managing a team of 10+ associates

I have contributed significantly towards the stabilization of the project by structuring and implementing processes, evaluating the capability of the team members and
assiging the work according and successfuly co-ordianting with team and clients.
Setting the deadlines accordingly to the complexity of the task and assisting the team in various forms to meet them.
Regular interaction with clients (Asia pacific and UK clients) (via phone & email) for requirements/negotiations.

Prior Exp:

Tech Lead at IBM India Pvt Ltd
Duration: 1.5 Years
Software Engineer at NIIT Technologies Pvt Ltd
Duration: 4 Years

Awards & Recognitions:

Doesn't have awards but have several client appreciation mails and can get recommendations from the clients I worked with.
Got 1900 rank in MCA entrance where 1,00,000 candidates competed.

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required.

GMAT Score:

Need to take

Query: Please provide the score I have to get in GMAT to get call from ISB/IIM.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India.

Extracurricular Activity:

Got district level second prize in science fair conducted by Krishna District Private schools association - District level

represented my school in state level quiz competition

Volunteered with Sanskritam (a spoken sanskrit initiative in collaboration with Govt of India) and conducted beginner level classes for spoken sanskrit

quarter master in NCC (at the time of 10+2)

Yoga teaching

Diploma in diet and nutrition (helps in guiding my yoga students)

Member of youth hostels of association India which organizes various treks and expeditions around India/abroad.

Member of Canteen committee and ECO committe to solve the problems faced by the employees.

Member of strategic planning team for Twin City Photography Club, Hyderabad and organized various photography tours.

Established a organization type that helps the ruined temples for renovation/restructure and did the same for more that 10 temples with
collected funds within the span of 6 months.

Query: Please comment if such involvements can add value to my profile. Can you suggest any other suggested extracurricular activities
that add value to my profile as I know my profile is of very average.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): I want to be part of strategic planning of consulting firms and to be in senior level management position.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities in Renewable Energy sector (it is my passion).

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this I want to do. I understand with my weak profile (WE and academics) its really hard to get the edge, but really want to get it..

Please comment on my profile and suggest any improvements that can make my profile better.

I value your time .Thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 23:17
virilevisu wrote:
Hi All ,

Work Experience: 6 years experience in IT software development industry.

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required.

Vishnu, The MBA application is about demonstrating a strong, well rounded personality. B-schools like applicants who have progressed well in their career, are high achievers and have made a positive impact in the professional and personal realm. Six years duration at work is a long enough time to get opportunities to do so. Therefore, I do not think you need to wait another year to apply. More important is, how strongly you are able to communicate these aspects in your application, through the data sheets, essays and recommendations.

Query: Please provide the score I have to get in GMAT to get call from ISB/IIM.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India.

Extracurricular Activity:

ISB and IIMs have the class average scores between 705 - 720. Try scoring in this range or above. Specifically in the case of IIM A, you should score above 690 as they will invite you to write the essays and for the interview based on the data sheet that you send them (which is the first eliminating step).

Other than the ISB and the IIMs, you can consider SP Jain (PGEMP) and XLRI ( GMP, requires 7 years work exp.).

Seems like you have been quite active outside work/ education. However, I would attach subsequent value to these activities only if you are still following them up. Your involvement 6 years ago, if not followed up, will have little impact now. If you are passionately pursuing Yoga and also training people, that may be a story worth telling.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): I want to be part of strategic planning of consulting firms and to be in senior level management position.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities in Renewable Energy sector (it is my passion).

Dig deeper into these career goals when you articulate them in the essays. Adcoms want to hear the details and get the feel that you have researched your goals well. Additionally they would care to see some evidence about your passion in the renewable energy sector, if that is your long term goal.

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this I want to do. I understand with my weak profile (WE and academics) its really hard to get the edge, but really want to get it..

Focus on the strengths instead, and your profile may not look that weak afterall.

Best,

Namita
www.mbadecoder.com

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:07
Hi Vishnu,

Your first step is GMAT and you don't have much time to take it. Indian schools open their app portals earliest and deadlines start from August. So, take GMAT latest by last week of July and target a 720+ or so. Why 720+ ? Because your have a typical IT profile and Indian B schools have many applicants who have similar profile and a score of 700-730.

So, a GMAT of 720 will only keep you alive in the race.
While writing applications, focus less on the technical aspects and more on team leading experience, client interaction and negotiation skills which you have demonstrated. Do discuss your international experience.

Top that up with your extra currics and focus on your initiative taking abilities ( we think you have sufficient examples there).

You can target IIMA PGPX, IIMC PGPEX, IIM B EPGP, ISB, XLRI GMP though IIMA and IIMC will be tough.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 21:41
Hi Namita & Apphelp,

Thank you for your valuable inputs after evaluating my profile. I cannot take GMAT before July as I didnt complete my preperation yet. As you told I will strengthen my profile in the meanwhile (espically the long term goal).
Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2012, 21:41