Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile and suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 07:06
Hi,

Below is an excerpt of my profile.Please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable feedback/suggestions

Name:Vishnu / 30 Y/ Male

Citizenship: INDIA

Qualification: MCA- 69%/2005.
Graduation Bsc- 69%
10+2 - 63%
10 - 75%

Work Experience: 6 years experience in IT software development industry.

Summary of my WE:

Overall International Exposure: 3 weeks for requirement gathering

Current Exp:

Team Leader – E-Commerce applications at Infosys

Duration: 0.5 Years

Managing a team of 10+ associates

I have contributed significantly towards the stabilization of the project by structuring and implementing processes, evaluating the capability of the team members and
assiging the work according and successfuly co-ordianting with team and clients.
Setting the deadlines accordingly to the complexity of the task and assisting the team in various forms to meet them.
Regular interaction with clients (Asia pacific and UK clients) (via phone & email) for requirements/negotiations.

Prior Exp:

Tech Lead at IBM India Pvt Ltd
Duration: 1.5 Years
Software Engineer at NIIT Technologies Pvt Ltd
Duration: 4 Years

Awards & Recognitions:

Doesn't have awards but have several client appreciation mails and can get recommendations from the clients I worked with.
Got 1900 rank in MCA entrance where 1,00,000 candidates competed.

Query: Please provide your feedback on my WE.I would still like to invest a year to shape up my WE, if required.

GMAT Score:

Need to take

Query: Please provide the score I have to get in GMAT to get call from ISB/IIM.

Query: I am targeting for only 1 year MBA programs. Please advise on the colleges that I can apply in India.

Extracurricular Activity:

Got district level second prize in science fair conducted by Krishna District Private schools association - District level

represented my school in state level quiz competition

Volunteered with Sanskritam (a spoken sanskrit initiative in collaboration with Govt of India) and conducted beginner level classes for spoken sanskrit

quarter master in NCC (at the time of 10+2)

Yoga teaching

Diploma in diet and nutrition (helps in guiding my yoga students)

Member of youth hostels of association India which organizes various treks and expeditions around India/abroad.

Member of Canteen committee and ECO committe to solve the problems faced by the employees.

Member of strategic planning team for Twin City Photography Club, Hyderabad and organized various photography tours.

Established a organization that helps the ruined temples for renovation/restructure and did the same for more that 10 temples with
collected funds within the span of 6 months.

Query: Please comment if such involvements can add value to my profile. Can you suggest any other suggested extracurricular activities
that add value to my profile as I know my profile is of very average.

Why MBA? :

Short Term Goal (5 to 10 years): I want to be part of strategic planning of consulting firms and to be in senior level management position.

Long term Goal (10 years +): Establishing a firm that would engage in various business consulting activities in Renewable Energy sector (it is my passion).

Query: In sum, this is what I have in me and this I want to do. I understand with my weak profile (WE and academics) its really hard to get the edge, but really want to get it..

Please comment on my profile and suggest any improvements that can make my profile better.

I value your time .Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 16:16
Expert's post
You have several things working against you in your profile. First and foremost, you are applying from one of the deepest applicant pools there is: Indian Male with IT background. Within this pool, you need to stand out amongst the throngs of others with a similar background and yet you posted what appears to be pretty unimpressive marks in school. Additionally, you say you have a passion for renewable energy yet you don't appear to have done anyting to pursue this as a career--neither in school nor in your professional life. This will not come across favorably with the admissions committees. Also, without a GMAT score, it's tough to give you a full evaluation. Since you are coming up short in other areas, you would really need to post a very impressive GMAT score to help boost your standing. What's good? Well considering you are trying to stand out in a crowd that posts very high GMATs already, I'd say you'd need to knock a home run with the GMAT--750 or higher would be my recomendation. If you end up in the 600s, there are still schools where you can get an MBA, but make sure these schools will give you access to the recruiters and jobs that you are targeting for your post MBA career. Make a matrix with your target jobs on one axis and your target schools on the other and see where there is cross-pollination. Then see which of these schools fall outside the top tier, where likely you will need to be looking. perhaps you will find some matches that way.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 16:19
Expert's post
I just re-read your profile and see where you are targeting one year MBA programs. One year programs are easier to get into, so you may be in luck. I would also say to look at part time programs. Sometimes you can get into a school's part time program when you may not have gotten into their full time program.

Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 22:35
Hi Bryan,

Thank you very much for evaluating my profile.
Yes, I am looking for executive MBA programs only.
I am looking for such schools which gives me a placement.
Can you give me some ideas/suggestions to make my profile stronger (apart from GMAT...I am targetting at least 720+)
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 11:14
Expert's post
Executive programs are a different animal. I actually have a lot of expertise in helping clients get into executive MBA programs so I can say with some authority that it's generally all about your WE. Even if you get your targeted score of 720 on the GMAT, the executive adcoms will be much more interested in your work experience and what you bring to the table that will be of value to your classmates. REalize that your classmates will largely be made up of people older than you if you have only racked up 6 years WE. Keeping this in mind, you will want to emphasize your leadership roles and your level of responsibility speaking to how you have impacted your organization.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews