Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile and suggest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile and suggest [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2006, 13:20
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile and advice.

Background:
Indian male, working in one of top 3 IT companies in India, currently working in US through this company for one of the Big 3 Automotive company from past 4 years.

Credentials
GMAT: 700
GPA: 80% (First class with distinction) in under-grad from one of the top under-grad schools of India.
Work exp: 5 yrs till date

Work Experience:
Started the career as IT Programmer. Now leading a portfolio - consisting of 18 team members, working on varied projects and technologies, and generating annual revenue of 1.5 M USD. I am the youngest member to become portfolio lead in this account. Have been playing this role from past 2 years. I can show strong leadership qualities in this role.

Initiatives worked in my organisation apart from playing the lead role:
1. With the right blend of business and technology, I was able to successfully sell one of the leading Automotive solution, developed by my company, to the client. I can demonstrate my consulting abilities in the essays through this task. The solution will fetch revenue of around 2 M USD.

2. Proactively approached the client to help him define a new concept that would enhance the business value of IT investment through improved operational efficiency and service levels in his area when his organisation was moving towards this direction. Impressed with our thought process, the client has given us the opportunity to pilot it in his area. Worked on
this task closely with the consulting gurus of my organisation. I can get very good rec from these folks about my consulting engagement.

Community Service:
Very minimum.

Recommendations:
I am planning to get strong recommendations from both client managers and my company's managers showcasing my above work.

Goals: I would like to pursue my career in Management consulting. Also, I would like to join the school which is good in General Management in addition to Management consulting as I am still evaluating my options.

Through above initiatives I can show adcoms that i am on the right track. MBA will help me accelerate my transition to consultant role.

Planning to apply for the below schools:
1. Harvard
2. Wharton
3. Kellogg
4. Chicago GSB
5. Columbia
6. LBS
7. Duke
8. Michigan (Ross)
9. Dartmouth

Please advise any other schools for above profile.

Also, for the above profile to get into 5 US Business school, do i need to improve GMAT score - targetting 740+ - considering the fact that I will be put in Indian+IT pool or do i need to concentrate only on my apps and showcase the great work done to stand out. Please advise.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2006, 10:38
Expert's post
You suffer from the same problem that plagues most Indian/IT applicants... You don't have much to distinguish you from a very competitive pool right now. I honestly don't think that raising your GMAT score from 700 to 740+ will help you at all. You really need to develop an application that will be unique vs. other Indian/IT folks, and increasing your GMAT score even to 780 unfortunately won't do that.

Your work experiences sound great. It sounds like you have made a rela impact. But you need to present a much more well-rounded application... Why no community service? What about hobbies? What do you have that makes you unique, outside of your job? Definitely continue to gain new experiences at work -- especially leadership experiences, leading teams, launching new initiatives, etc. -- but you will also need to show interests outside of your job to get into a top-ten school.

Right now, I think that schools in the 20-30 range (based on rankings) are a better bet for you, but you can improve that by doing some of what I describe above!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews