Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618846 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ivey '18 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Ivey Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Originally posted by ron92 on 14 Dec 2016, 01:44.
Last edited by Narenn on 10 Apr 2017, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.
Stickied
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)
Send PM
Re: Ivey Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't think that you should apply for this year. You are still young, why not wait for the next year or after.

My personal opinion:
- Your education and GMAT are both good but Ivey doesn't focus too much on GMAT.
- Ivey focuses on output, meaning that you should get a job out of school. Your experience shows that you are a job hopper. Ivey is different from other schools that recruitment officers will interview you from the beginning. It could be a question in landing a job after Ivey.
- Most of current class has 5 years experience or more. Your three year experience could be a little short.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Shineton wrote:
I don't think that you should apply for this year. You are still young, why not wait for the next year or after.

My personal opinion:
- Your education and GMAT are both good but Ivey doesn't focus too much on GMAT.
- Ivey focuses on output, meaning that you should get a job out of school. Your experience shows that you are a job hopper. Ivey is different from other schools that recruitment officers will interview you from the beginning. It could be a question in landing a job after Ivey.
- Most of current class has 5 years experience or more. Your three year experience could be a little short.

Hi Shineton

Thanks for your input.

As far as I know, the average work experience in Ivey is 4.8 years, meaning 50% of the people have work experience below 4.8 years.

Also, as far as changing jobs is concerned- during initial 3 years of my work experience, I had to opt out of my first company to help my family business but soon was called back by my partner and joined back at Axis. So I don't think that I have hopped jobs :P and presently I am helping my brother in to restructure his start up where I have no aspirations to continue once the start up gets the desired market presence.

Plus I am keen on starting with my MBA next year as I have defined goals and need a platform like MBA to work towards them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)
Send PM
Just my opinion. Maybe I am wrong or I dont remember much the class profiles. Please go ahead since you understand yourself better.

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
I think your profile is good. You can ask Ivey to preview your profile via their website too. Why not try?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Dear All,

I am planning to apply to Ivey for MBA Program. Please evaluate my profile and let me know my suitability for the Program. My profile details are below:

 Total Work experience - 6.5 years in consulting field.
 Currently, working as Senior Consultant/ Assistant Manager with PwC in its sustainability team.
 Female, Age 31 years
 Volunteer for UN, working for empowerment for women in Uganda
 Work Experience in 25/29 States in India and 3 countries - India, Bhutan and Bangladesh
 GRE Score - 314 (164 Quant and 150 Verbal)
 2 Publications in International Journal
 Education: Master of Technology in Environmental Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India
 CGPA - 4.27/5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.32
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Here is a quick overview of my profile.

[*]--> Canadian (black), underrepresented minority
[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> Bachelors in Public Administration from a Canadian university (3.2 GPA)
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Been prepping like a maniac since then. Looking to break 600. Will re-write in November 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

What do you think of the profile?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Hi,

Requesting your thoughts and assessment of my profile for Ivey admission:
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate : Bachelor in Technolgy (4 year course with a GPA equivalent of 3.4)
Masters: Part time evening MBA at Kelley School of Business (GPA 3.75 after 21 credits)
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 10 years, a mix of Internal Audit and Automotive Engineering Services across three companies. 2 years in India, rest in USA. I have worked with and visited operations in France and Brazil as well. Currently an IT Audit Manager with a team of three in a public company in Internet and Media industry.
Likely Recommendations from: a. SVP - Accounting; b. Sr. Dir of Internal Audit; c. Professor of Strategy at Kelley
Extra-Curricular: Well rounded set of extra curriculars, too many to list here
Goal: To work in a top tier consulting firm like McKinsey or BCG
Special Note: Due to sticky immigration issues at USA, I will likely have to move on from this country without the likelihood of applying for a student visa. So Canada looks like a great alternative, thanks to it's merit based immigration.

Key factor: Getting some funding is essential. The more the better. Ivey seems to have upto 50% of tuition. What is my likelihood of getting some funding? What is my likelihood for getting the 50% funding? I have requested a profile eval over the web today.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Applying from Canada for 2020, Big 4 audit background with CPA. Trying to figure out what kind of chance I have for my targets and potential for scholarship $$

Background and nationality:
- 26M, Canadian (Filipino ethnicity)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- (Projected): potentially taking CFA Level 1 (very common in finance industry in Canada it seems like)

Undergrad Information:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), double major in Accounting and Finance
- 3.3/4.0 (converted from 3.7/4.5)
- I should note there's a downward trend in last two years (2.8/4.0 last year, 3.0/4.0 last two years). ECs were all in last two years and wanted to focus being a more well-rounded student, not sure how bad this looks to adcoms. I know Rotman requires a 3.0 in last year so I'm worried about this

GMAT:
710 (Q48 V39 IR3 AWA?)
- IR score is low but my previous two attempts I scored an 8 and 5 so I think having that on my score report offsets the low 3
- Just wrote this past weekend so haven't gotten my AWA yet, I scored 5 and 6 on my first two attempts

Work experience and leadership:
- 2.5 years Big 4 Audit (3.5 years if you include university co-op terms - can these be included in WE?). Promotion to Senior, high ratings and excellent reviews, lead senior on largest client in the office ($700M revenues, $1B market cap), performed audit work over two acquisitions and multiple equity/debenture offerings
- 1 year Financial Reporting Manager in a publicly traded company in the newspaper/media industry, implemented new accounting standards for investments and lease accounting, not a lot of other career accomplishments in this role
- (Projected): potentially looking for a new job that is more related to finance (ie. FP&A, TAS, Valuations, investment analyst) to have something tangible that shows my commitment to the career pivot

Community and others:
Current:
- Board Director at a charity that provides food access/security/policy
- Treasurer at an animal welfare charity that helps find lost dogs
- Finance Committee member at a non-profit youth employment services organization
Undergrad:
- Vice President for co-op students association
- Corporate Events Coordinator for accounting students association
- Business case competition team member (we won school of the year)

Post MBA goals
- Investment banking (post-MBA associate at big 5 Canadian banks or boutique firm) or corporate finance

Anything else?
Targets: Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Queen's
Far Reach: Cornell Johnson, Duke Fuqua

Questions:
- With my profile what are my chances for scholarship $$?
- Is my low GPA an issue when applying?
- Do co-op terms count towards WE?
- Should I take CFA level 1?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
anindakumars wrote:
Hi,

Requesting your thoughts and assessment of my profile for Ivey admission:
Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate : Bachelor in Technolgy (4 year course with a GPA equivalent of 3.4)
Masters: Part time evening MBA at Kelley School of Business (GPA 3.75 after 21 credits)
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 10 years, a mix of Internal Audit and Automotive Engineering Services across three companies. 2 years in India, rest in USA. I have worked with and visited operations in France and Brazil as well. Currently an IT Audit Manager with a team of three in a public company in Internet and Media industry.
Likely Recommendations from: a. SVP - Accounting; b. Sr. Dir of Internal Audit; c. Professor of Strategy at Kelley
Extra-Curricular: Well rounded set of extra curriculars, too many to list here
Goal: To work in a top tier consulting firm like McKinsey or BCG
Special Note: Due to sticky immigration issues at USA, I will likely have to move on from this country without the likelihood of applying for a student visa. So Canada looks like a great alternative, thanks to it's merit based immigration.

Key factor: Getting some funding is essential. The more the better. Ivey seems to have upto 50% of tuition. What is my likelihood of getting some funding? What is my likelihood for getting the 50% funding? I have requested a profile eval over the web today.

Hi anindakumars

A bit dated, but hoping this will still help. Your overall profile is excellent. However, at 10+ years, you have a lot of experience already. Funding is always a subjective decision, dependent also on multiple dynamic factors such as the round applied in, and the quality of the peer applicant pool. However, 50% funding is never easy to get, so plan accordingly.

Would also suggest that you submit your resume to Ivey and have a chat with the school on your chances given your experience level before you apply.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Taranveersingh93 wrote:
26, male, Indian Sikh.
Business economics graduate from Delhi University (first division). I've derived that my GPA is 3.7 (kindly correct if wrong)
GMAT: 740 (Q51, V39, IR8, AWA6)
Work experience:
Full time 2.5 years, freelance 1.5 years.

I freelanced with a production studio as a cinematographer and a video editor for 6 months. They hired me full-time and promoted me to the post of senior producer because I was good at dealing with clients. This lasted for 6 months too.
Then I left for Mumbai to assist in ads and films to learn more. I was freelancing as well. I was the assistant cinematographer in Kapil Sharma's "Firangi". Was part of many short films as well.

Then I joined my family business of medicine exports. It involved handling purchase and negotiating rates and payment terms. Soon I started travelling to Imphal to manage a pharmacy as it's conflict struck area and hiring someone local was tough.
Additionally, I became a mutual fund distributor in Jan last year. I have a sizeable AUM under me. I am also a stock trader. I still freelance as a cinematographer.

In college I used to make short films on social causes. I'd write, shoot, direct and edit myself. The topics ranged from communal differences, eve teasing to organ donation. I screened the organ donation movie in my college and about 50 viewers pledged their organs after the screening.
I also won numerous awards in -
Street theatre
Best photographer
Best cinematography
Best short film (director)

I wish to get into financial consulting post MBA.

What is the deal breaker here? I've been told that my work ex won't count since I've mostly worked for myself or my family (albeit full time).

Hi Taranveersingh93

Hello again. Overall, you should have a good shot at Ivey, but your overall career focus and career changes need to be looked at and managed carefully. See GyanOne Ivey MBA Admission Success Stories on Ivey success stories. Manveeer's story here is somewhat similar to yours in terms of background. Your work-ex will certainly count.

However, apply soon. Ivey recommends that international applicants apply before Sep, though it has a rolling process. Feel free to get in touch with us directly as needed (details in signature below).

Originally posted by GyanOne on 12 Jul 2019, 00:38.
Last edited by GyanOne on 24 Apr 2020, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mangubaj wrote:
Applying from Canada for 2020, Big 4 audit background with CPA. Trying to figure out what kind of chance I have for my targets and potential for scholarship $$

Background and nationality:
- 26M, Canadian (Filipino ethnicity)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- (Projected): potentially taking CFA Level 1 (very common in finance industry in Canada it seems like)

Undergrad Information:
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), double major in Accounting and Finance
- 3.3/4.0 (converted from 3.7/4.5)
- I should note there's a downward trend in last two years (2.8/4.0 last year, 3.0/4.0 last two years). ECs were all in last two years and wanted to focus being a more well-rounded student, not sure how bad this looks to adcoms. I know Rotman requires a 3.0 in last year so I'm worried about this

GMAT:
710 (Q48 V39 IR3 AWA?)
- IR score is low but my previous two attempts I scored an 8 and 5 so I think having that on my score report offsets the low 3
- Just wrote this past weekend so haven't gotten my AWA yet, I scored 5 and 6 on my first two attempts

Work experience and leadership:
- 2.5 years Big 4 Audit (3.5 years if you include university co-op terms - can these be included in WE?). Promotion to Senior, high ratings and excellent reviews, lead senior on largest client in the office ($700M revenues, $1B market cap), performed audit work over two acquisitions and multiple equity/debenture offerings
- 1 year Financial Reporting Manager in a publicly traded company in the newspaper/media industry, implemented new accounting standards for investments and lease accounting, not a lot of other career accomplishments in this role
- (Projected): potentially looking for a new job that is more related to finance (ie. FP&A, TAS, Valuations, investment analyst) to have something tangible that shows my commitment to the career pivot

Community and others:
Current:
- Board Director at a charity that provides food access/security/policy
- Treasurer at an animal welfare charity that helps find lost dogs
- Finance Committee member at a non-profit youth employment services organization
Undergrad:
- Vice President for co-op students association
- Corporate Events Coordinator for accounting students association
- Business case competition team member (we won school of the year)

Post MBA goals
- Investment banking (post-MBA associate at big 5 Canadian banks or boutique firm) or corporate finance

Anything else?
Targets: Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Queen's
Far Reach: Cornell Johnson, Duke Fuqua

Questions:
- With my profile what are my chances for scholarship $$?
- Is my low GPA an issue when applying?
- Do co-op terms count towards WE?
- Should I take CFA level 1?

Hi mangubaj

You have a pretty promising profile overall. Here is our assessment:
- Your academic background is pretty decent. The CPA lends weight, and the downward trend in GPA is not a huge worry. Overall, the GPA, while not very high, is ok. The 710 GMAT is quite good, and the IR is not a worry, given your CPA background. The AWA is no worry at all.
- Work experience quantity and quality are both good. The university co-ops can't be used for experience, as most schools look at full-time, post-qualification experience only. If you are thinking of a career switch to lend more weight, FP&A won't do it. Look at sell-side investments, or investment research, or valuation kind of roles.
- Community and ECA is fairly good. No questions there at all.

On your questions:
- With your profile, some chances of $$ at Rotman, Ivey, Queen's. At Fuqua, Cornell - low. In fact, chances of admission at Fuqua, Cornell not very high.
- Your GPA should not be an issue.
- Co-op terms don't count towards the overall work-ex calculation, but doesn't mean they are irrelevant. That experience is still part of your profile. Some schools will allow you to mention internships in their apps, so can be used there.
- CFA Level 1 won't make a difference. That time is better used retaking the GMAT if possible, or focusing on your apps.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed or to get in touch directly for a quick chat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,
I'm looking forward to apply for MBA in Marketing, January 2020 intake.
But, I have a GMAT score of 530, Toefl 92 and CGPA 7.6 in B Tech. I also have work experience of three years and two months.
Does my profile suit as per the requirements?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
akashpashine123 wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking forward to apply for MBA in Marketing, January 2020 intake.
But, I have a GMAT score of 530, Toefl 92 and CGPA 7.6 in B Tech. I also have work experience of three years and two months.
Does my profile suit as per the requirements?

Hi akashpashine123

- Your GMAT score of 530 will be too low. Aim to increase it by at least 100 points, and preferably 150+.
- Please provide more details on your work experience to ascertain if marketing is aligned to your work so far.
- You do not need TOEFL to apply to Ivey.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WORK EXPERIENCE:

Worked in Asia's largest Healthcare Startup, handling sales and business development of three products of the firm. Promoting the idea of marketing in the healthcare sector, generating revenue via ad sales, team handling position for more than 2 years. Currently interning in world's biggest broadcasting company, learning programmatic marketing strategies, and working on DSP and SSp models.

I dont plan to give me GMAT again.
Based on my experience, do I still look fit for the program?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2