Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile (Engineer, now in NGO work)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile (Engineer, now in NGO work) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 11:48
Hi,

If you could give an evaluation of my profile, that will be great.

I'm looking for advice on which of the top bschools that may be the best for me. Also, just some general tips on ways to position my 'story' in the application. I wanted to get a realistic sense of how 'Non-Profit' angle will fair with the admission committee and what historical trends there may on this area.

Here goes:

Goal: To become a leader in the area of corporate philanthropy. I see a need for innovative and entrepreneurial professionals to build a bridge between the top global businesses with the governments and NGOs to build sustainable community development around the world. Specially, I would like to eventually be a in a VP or CEO position in an NGO, or working for a management consulting company that specializes in this field. My view is that this isn’t simply charity or handouts. There are real opportunities for corporations to appropriately invest into social responsibility that will lead to helping marginalized communities while at the same time contributing to their bottom line profits. I feel that it doesn’t have to be an “either/orâ€
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 17:46
Expert's post
I think that you have a very unique and compelling profile. I love your non-profit work experience and how it blends with your technical background. There are very few applicants who have actually *done* both (while there are many applicant who have tech background who only *say* that they want to do NGO work). This puts your in a very good position.

I don't think I see any real holes in your profile, although you're right about wanting to take the GMAT again. Ideally you can hit 700, but DON'T despair if you don't hit it. You can definitely get into these schools with the range of scores that you're targeting.

Re: your extracurricular activities, my advice is to keep your message pretty focused. Your current NGO work is so powerful that you don't want this message to get drowned out my too many small things. My advice is to pick one or two of these (e.g., your passion for helping youth and your theater work).

Re: schools, I think your list makes perfect sense. Maybe also target Michigan. Re: your grades and how to convert them it will depend on the school, but many like for you to simply submit your grades in % form, and they can convert or interpret as needed.

Good luck!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2006, 18:49
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your advice and guidence. It's really the first time I am venturing out to seek evaluation of my profile so it's comforting to know that I at least have a reasonable chance at a top bschool :)

I'm going to devoting the next 3months to GMAT hardcore and hopefully do better the 2nd time around. In the mean time, I'll take your advice on targetting my volunteer experience. I'll try to pick those that highlight specifically on the 'leadership' aspect of my skill set.

Thanks for your help.

Btw, on a similar topic, I've reading about and facinated by this topic of 'social responsibility' and 'venture philanthropy'. I also see that a lot of the bschools in the past 5 years have been paying more attention to this area in their cirriculum. Do you feel that this is just a fad? or is this the beginning of a real movement towards Corporate Social Responsibility? I hope it's not just a Bono fad :P (I love Bono btw!)

pps-> I'm a Canadian applicant, in case that makes any difference to my chances...

Cheers,

jjhko
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:41
Expert's post
I'd say it's a fad in that every school is rushing to say they're the first to add such a program, and things like that. You know how it is... One top school adds a major in venture philanthropy, and the herd follows. :-) But, I also expect that these programs will stick.

It's just like all of the e-commerce programs that schools added seven years ago... Some of the majors have quietly gone away, but many of the best e-commerce classes remain.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews