Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile: GMAT 760 (Q49/V45).

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Please evaluate my profile: GMAT 760 (Q49/V45). [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 12:43
Hi there,

I appreciate and thank all of you in advance for any input you are able to provide. In short, I would like to attend a top 5 business school either this coming fall (August 2014) or next. So my question is really twofold: (i) is it advisable to put my applications together starting NOW and apply by the early January deadlines or should I hold off for another year? ...and (ii) what do you believe my chances are at the following schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT, Columbia.

My background:
[*] Ethnicity: White/Caucasian male, age 25
[*] GMAT Score: I took my GMAT for the first time two days ago and received a 760 (Q49/V45). I got an 8 on the new IR section, for whatever that's worth, and expect to get a 5 or 6 on the AWA. For those curious about my preparation program, I signed up for the Manhattan GMAT course and drilled the Manhattan CATs and the four official GMAC practice tests (two free with the GMAC software and two exams included in Exam Pack 1).
[*] Work Experience: 1. Top Tier (MS/GS/JPM) Investment Banking Analyst - Project and Structured Finance Group (focused on structuring and arranging debt and mezzanine transactions for various assets and companies within the energy/oil&gas sectors)
[*] Work Experience (continued): 2. Private Equity Associate - $3+ billion fund in the Northeast, focusing strictly on investments across the energy value chain. I've worked with and helped invest in companies ranging all the way from basic exploration and production platforms to midstream pipeline transportation and processing providers all the way downstream to end-product distribution and power generation assets (wind, solar, coal, natural gas, geothermal).
[*] Undergrad: MIT (class of 2010, studied biological engineering with a concentration in economics) GPA: 4.2/5.0 - I BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE WEAKEST PART OF MY APPLICATION. Please comment!
[*] Community Service: Minds Matter - Involved for the past 2.5 years mentoring low-income underprivileged kids in the area with basic school studies, SAT preparation, comprehensive college application preparation, writing and speaking skills, and other life skills that benefit the student academically and personally. The goal of the program is to get every kid we mentor into an excellent undergraduate college by providing them the resources and tools necessary to create a competitive application. I've been with my current mentee since her sophomore year of high school, she is now a senior and is applying to Notre Dame (early action).
[*] Target schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, MIT.

Thank you to all of you in advance!

Cheers,
-C
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile: GMAT 760 (Q49/V45). [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 10:10
Expert's post
Even with the GPA, I believe from the info you’ve provided that you’re a qualified and viable applicant to the programs you mention. I would change that assessment if the GPA is trending down – but if it’s even or (even better) trending up, that’s OK. It’s a rigorous program and school, which will be noted, of course along with your stellar GMAT.

You don’t discuss your goals, but obviously they’re a key component in the application and should be a logical and meaningful extension of your “story” (even if indirectly, i.e., as career change).

That said, for these programs, being qualified is just step one, the first bar. To gain admission, your application must differentiate and distinguish you. It must give the adcom a reason to select you out of other highly accomplished white males in finance! That last point is the key – it’s the mission of your application. Focus on that point as you develop your application.

I do think it makes sense to apply this year in R2, as long as you can do so with excellence -- your absolute best.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog