Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile..guidance needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Please evaluate my profile..guidance needed [#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 22:43
Hello ,

Firstly I would like to say thanks to you guys for taking out time to evaluate our profiles and give us valuable advices.

I am a 25 year old guy living in New Delhi, India. The following will give a brief overview of my profile:

2000-2003 : Pursued undergrad degree in Information Technology from Delhi.

2003-2004: Worked as a VB developer in Delhi in a stock market firm. A small firm though, was a core developer and developed a real time stock analysis package.

2004-2005: Went to UK, did a masters degree in Information Technology.
Jan 2006 - June 2006 - Worked in London in a small company as a developer. Applied for interview in Lehman brothers london, was not successful.

July 2006 - Sep 2006 - Returned to Delhi and worked again as a developer in previous firm.

Oct 2006 - Pursued a 1 month course on SAP and acquired a SAP Certification in ABAP. (ABAP in technical area for SAP. Its dev lang).

Nov 2006 - Current - Working in Siemens Information Systems, as a SAP ABAP developer.

I want to do MBA because I have always been in IT and have only IT skills and no business skills. I want to do business in future and I think i would need business skills. I would also like an opportunity to work in a managerial position in a company in US to learn. I am still unclear about my MBA goal but would like someone to help/guide me.

If I apply for MBA in 2008 I would have 3 years work ex. Is my profile suitable for mba in top us b-schools. What should i do in order to strengthen my profile??? Can anyone guide me ??

Thanks,

GR
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 08:49
Expert's post
You face the same challenge that many Indian/IT applicants face... Standing out from a crowded field of applicants who all sound very similar. You will need to show leadership abilities and a willingness to get involved in your community. My suggestion is to take a couple of more years to try and gain more managerial experience on the job and some meaningful community service experience outside of work.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Thanks [#permalink] New post 20 May 2007, 10:08
Thanks a lot for advice dude. The only worry is changing my role from IT to management may not be feasible at the moment. So I guess I must improvise.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2007, 13:41
Expert's post
Anything will do... You don't necessarily need to make a formal move to management... Even leading a project team will help a lot. And don't underestimate the value of leadership experiences outside of work!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Info [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 06:36
Thanks scott for your valuable suggestions. I actually needed some advice/guidance as to what should my goal be after MBA and do I need some business knowledge before doing it. I know I want to do a business after mba and would like some experience in managerial role as well after mba. But how do I go about it.
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 08:24
Expert's post
Not sure what to tell you re: your post-MBA goal since that really needs to come from you! But if you want to gain general management exposure, working in a general management rotation program (like at GE), in brand management, or in management consulting would help a lot.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
thanks [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 23:06
Thanks a lot scott for your help. I really appreciate it. :)