Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: NA [#permalink]
jenniferbloom wrote:
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi all,

I am hoping to get your advice on my chances to get into the top 10 US b-schools

Here is my profile:

Indian Male, 24

Undergraduate: BTech, Chemical Engg. (IIT Delhi)

GMAT : 720 (Q 51, V 35, AWA : 4.5)

GPA : 3.1/4

Consistent high-school performance: Got 94% in 10th std. and 88% in my 12th std.

Work Ex : 4 years post my undergrad degree

Quality of Work ex :
1. 2 yrs work ex. with ZS Associates (A consulting firm focused on pharma/healthcare industry): Joined as an Associate, and got promoted to an Associate Consultant within 2 yr. (fastest in my batch). Worked with Indian, European, American clients on Market research, Marketing strategies, New product launch planning and execution & Sales force effectiveness projects
2. 2 yrs work ex. with Moolchand Healthcare: Working as an EA to the CEO, helping drive various strategic initiatives like Sales & Marketing, recruiting, M&A, fund-raising, Business planning, Reporting etc. I would classify this as a 50% strategy, and 50% execution role.

International exposure :
1. 3 month research internship in a Lab in Frieberg, Germany during my UG.
2. 3 month technical internship in a chemical factory in Rayong, Thailand during my UG.
3. Travelled to the US for client work during my 2 yr stint with ZS Associates

Extra-currics and leadership: Play the guitar/piano and was an active member of the IIT Delhi music club - used to perform for my hostel band. Also, was in the institute water-polo team (have an active interest in swimming)

I would really value your advise on the following two points:
1) Do I have a chance of getting admitted in a top 10? If so, what are the things I can do to make my application stronger?
2) What are the other universities that I can look at, given my ambitions?

Thanks again!
Rakshay

Yes, I do believe you stand a chance at the top 10 - a lot depends on what you've achieved in your current role. If your ambitions are in marketing (you left this a bit unclear in your post), then you can certainly look lower than the top 10: USC, UT Austin , Emory, and Boston University all have great marketing programs and placement in marketing functions, for instance.

Thanks Jennifer!

My target jobs are in the healthcare space, any of the following profiles should be good:

1. Senior mgmt roles in healthcare
2. Helping a PE firm build a healthcare portfolio et al

Also, I forgot to mention about my leadership experience, so here it goes:-

Leadership experience:
1. Was mentoring associates for over a year at ZS Associates. Have delivered 4 projects end to end with about 1-2 associates reporting to me on each project. Have almost ~1yr experience training associates on market research methodologies. Have also taken office wide sessions on market research
2. Helped build the marketing services team in the Gurgaon office - was actively involved in taking it from a strength of 5 to 40 in 2 yrs.
3. Leading the talent acquisition initiative at Moolchand Healthcare, with 3 direct reportees.
4. Have an indirect line of reporting at Moolchand since I am involved in multiple strategic intiatives, working closely with the CEO (this point needs to be elaborated)

Would this addition help me crack the top 5? I really want to get in to Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Kellogg/Sloan

Pl. let me know your thoughts

Thanks in advance!
Rakshay
Send PM
Expert Reply
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi all,

I am hoping to get your advice on my chances to get into the top 10 US b-schools

Here is my profile:

Indian Male, 24

Consistent high-school performance: Got 94% in 10th std. and 88% in my 12th std.

Quality of Work ex :
1. 2 yrs work ex. with ZS Associates (A consulting firm focused on pharma/healthcare industry): Joined as an Associate, and got promoted to an Associate Consultant within 2 yr. (fastest in my batch). Worked with Indian, European, American clients on Market research, Marketing strategies, New product launch planning and execution & Sales force effectiveness projects
2. 2 yrs work ex. with Moolchand Healthcare: Working as an EA to the CEO, helping drive various strategic initiatives like Sales & Marketing, recruiting, M&A, fund-raising, Business planning, Reporting etc. I would classify this as a 50% strategy, and 50% execution role.

International exposure :
2. 3 month technical internship in a chemical factory in Rayong, Thailand during my UG.

Extra-currics and leadership: Play the guitar/piano and was an active member of the IIT Delhi music club - used to perform for my hostel band. Also, was in the institute water-polo team (have an active interest in swimming)

1) Do I have a chance of getting admitted in a top 10? If so, what are the things I can do to make my application stronger?

Thanks again!
Rakshay

Hi, Rakshay. I do believe you stand a chance at the top 10 programs, yes, but I always advise to apply to some other programs as well to boost your odds of acceptance. I would like to see a bit more extracurricular involvement and leadership if you can pull it off in the next few months. Perhaps you can organize a music festival or group of musicians to do some community performances or something. The key is to unite people behind a cause to make a difference to demonstrate you can lead outside of the workplace.
Since you did not explain your ambitions, I am going to assume you wish to advance in management/strategic consulting. For these goals I also recommend that you consider schools like Darden, Emory, and Notre Dame, in addition to your "top 10" aspirations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Jennifer!

My post-MBA goal is to become an Healthcare entrepreneur, can you suggest names of b-schools with the most sought after healthcare/entrepreneurship program?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rakshay
Send PM
Expert Reply
guitarfreak wrote:
Hi all,

Here is my profile:

Indian Male, 24

Quality of Work ex :

International exposure :

Thanks again!
Rakshay

You certainly look like a contender for the top 10, yes. Your application will have to demonstrate how much of your leadership of strategic initiatives is of your own ideas and using your interpersonal abilities. You didn't mention your ambitions in this description, but assuming management consulting I would recommend you also consider Cornell, Darden, Tuck, and UNC. It also wouldn't hurt if you boosted your Verbal GMAT score.
GMAT Club Bot