Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 01:26
post has been removed

Last edited by Apoorvasawhney on 22 Oct 2013, 02:41, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Please evaluate my profile - Indian Female|GMAT 770 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 00:47
Expert's post
Apoorvasawhney wrote:

Here are my questions:
1. Since I'm currently not working, I'd like to know what I can pursue next so I can ensure admission into a top B School. Should I look for another job or continue with my old job (to maintain continuity) or do full time NGO work in India or aborad?
2. I'd like to do a full time MBA in marketing from a top school, but will the fact that I've already done a technology oriented MBA hamper my chances?
3.My target schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia. Do I have a good chance of getting into any one of these in R2?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Hey there Apoorva,

Let's jump straight into your questions.

1. It's always a LOT harder to apply without a job. Esp. since you have only two years of experience. Not so much because you don't have a job NOW, but what are you going to do for the next year???? You CAN try and apply this year anyhow (I mean you have great grades and a fantastic GMAT!) but it will be harder than if you had a good job. (PS.. why did you leave your job?)

2. Well, this one is easy since there is no difference between an MBA and an "MBA in Marketing", actually if you are interested in marketing, then you try and aim for a school (like Kellogg) which has strengths in Marketing and then take as many classes as you can in your favorite subject. I have to say though, I am quite confused about your goals - right now I have THREE goals for you - Media, luxury retail and marketing. I would reeeeeeeallly suggest that you select only ONE specific goal, because otherwise things aren't going to make much sense.

3. I think that without a job it will be hard. You can always try, but these are basically the most competitive schools in the world, and although you have a fantastic GMAT you can't ride in on that alone.

If you tell me a bit about why you left your job, what you are doing, and clarify your goals, I may be able to advise you further.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile - Indian Female|GMAT 770 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 03:14
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Apoorvasawhney wrote:

Here are my questions:
1. Since I'm currently not working, I'd like to know what I can pursue next so I can ensure admission into a top B School. Should I look for another job or continue with my old job (to maintain continuity) or do full time NGO work in India or aborad?
2. I'd like to do a full time MBA in marketing from a top school, but will the fact that I've already done a technology oriented MBA hamper my chances?
3.My target schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia. Do I have a good chance of getting into any one of these in R2?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Hey there Apoorva,

Let's jump straight into your questions.

1. It's always a LOT harder to apply without a job. Esp. since you have only two years of experience. Not so much because you don't have a job NOW, but what are you going to do for the next year???? You CAN try and apply this year anyhow (I mean you have great grades and a fantastic GMAT!) but it will be harder than if you had a good job. (PS.. why did you leave your job?)

2. Well, this one is easy since there is no difference between an MBA and an "MBA in Marketing", actually if you are interested in marketing, then you try and aim for a school (like Kellogg) which has strengths in Marketing and then take as many classes as you can in your favorite subject. I have to say though, I am quite confused about your goals - right now I have THREE goals for you - Media, luxury retail and marketing. I would reeeeeeeallly suggest that you select only ONE specific goal, because otherwise things aren't going to make much sense.

3. I think that without a job it will be hard. You can always try, but these are basically the most competitive schools in the world, and although you have a fantastic GMAT you can't ride in on that alone.

If you tell me a bit about why you left your job, what you are doing, and clarify your goals, I may be able to advise you further.

Best,
JF

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I loved my previous job and I was doing very well there but I left my job because my mother was unwell. Now that she has recovered, I have the option of going back to the same company but I'm not sure how the Ad Coms will perceive that. So my main dilemma is whether I should go back to my old job or look for something new. Also, I'd like to go with working in the marketing department of a luxury retail brand as my main goal.
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Please evaluate my profile - Indian Female|GMAT 770 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 08:35
Expert's post
Hello there!
Very sorry to hear about your mother, and I really hope she is doing better.

If you loved your last job and would be happy to go back, then there is nothing bad about that in the yes of the AdCom. You can without any damage at all to your profile write, "I took X months off because my mother was unwell" and I think it will be totally acceptable.

I hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!