Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile - mechanical engineer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile - mechanical engineer [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 19:37
I am applying for entry Fall 2015.

Could I please ask for a profile evaluation? Post MBA-goals are to enter marketing in the NYC or southeast (Atlanta).

I am applying R1 to Fuqua, Darden, Ross, Columbia (NY connection), Tuck, and Kellogg. What are my chances? Thank you in advance for your evaluation.

Academics:

Graduated from Georgia Tech in 2010. Due to international baccalaureate credits/proficiency exam, I accrued enough credits to finish the Mechanical Engineering major in 3 years (is this a plus?)

My GPA was 3.28. If all goes as planned - I will be 26 when I matriculate into the Fall 15 term.

GMAT: 710 (49 q, 37 v)

Career and Extracurriculars:

Upon finishing college, I figured I had one year to figure out what I wanted to do, so I stayed at GT to do research in mechanical engineering.
Then I spent 1 yr at a internet startup, 2 years at an niche mechanical engineering consulting firm, and 1+ years now at another small engineering consultancy (more IT).

My research I conducted right after college was fairly computational. This led to me joining a startup with an Engineering focus. This consisted of me taking a marketing role in addition to a technical one. I decided to give Engineering consulting a try and worked on a couple of design projects during my first consulting job. I was part of small teams and while often worked independently - never had a leadership role. Our entire team was laid off after a turbulent project. I moved on to a second company shortly after and have served as a principal designer although no promotion yet. I recently discovered that I prefer the marketing analytics (startup) over engineering consulting and am trying to make my way back.

I have leadership in my extracurricular roles as a mentor to high school students- I meet with each if them every week to discuss life, academics, hobbies, etc. in my other engagement I provide 1-1 tutoring each week to students who struggle with schoolwork and come from marginalized homes. Both extracurricular roles have been ongoing for 1 year.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile - mechanical engineer [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 12:29
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. So you've obviously got quant and technical skills, and likely analytical thinking etc. Your GMAT is solid, and your mentoring and tutoring commitments show dedication and a sense of giving back to the community and caring about others. Your GPA is going to be below average at strong programs.

I think the biggest challenge is explaining your overall story-- how your past experiences brought you where you are today; why you need the MBA; and what you'll do with it in the future. Some of this you can't change (what you've done in the past), but some of it can be influenced or improved by how you explain your story and truthfully, in your essays first of all (as well as resume for your prior experience). So I would definitely spend time working on that resume, your essays, and your overall explanation of who you are, why you want the MBA, and what you'll do with it. To change to marketing, it would help to show you've had some experience and involvement in that area already; sounds like you did have some but based on your explanation here I'm a little unclear on that, so I'd encourage you to highlight that further.

As for schools, it's likely that Kellogg and Columbia will be the biggest reaches on your list; you may want to look outside top 10-15 for some additional options to give you better overall odds as well. Continue to research, let us know how it goes and any other q's!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php