Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please evaluate my profile: MS in Finance program candidate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please evaluate my profile: MS in Finance program candidate [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 00:51
Hi everyone,

I am an Indian fellow looking for some advice to narrow down my list of universities I should apply to. Having finished with the GMAT, I request you all to please evaluate my profile and pour in suggestions if any. My details are as follows:

1. 6 months work-experience: Working with an MNC in a technical sales role
2. GMAT score: 690. (Q50, V32, IR8). (retake?)
3) College: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai. GPA: 6.5/10, Civil Engineering Graduate, 2013. I was involved in a myriad of extra curricular activities which I guess helps extenuate my low grades.
4) High School:Matriculation: 90%, Intermediate: 86%
5) Positions of responsibility: Co-founder of a non-profit organisation;Convener of Dramatics and theater club; Marketing Manager with a startup venture; Institute Dramatics secretary
6) Will write CFA in the coming June
7) My target programs are 1-year MS in Finance/Financial Engineering
8) I am planning to start applying as early as possible as deadlines are round the corner. Round 3 for fall 2014.
9) Post masters,I plan to work as an Investment banker in a front office/middle office role.

The universities in NO specific order of preference are listed below:

1) HEC Paris
2) London School of Economics
3) Oxford University
4) Cambridge Judge
5) National University of Singapore
6) Nanyang Technical University: Singapore
7) Cranfield University
8) Warwick University
9) IE: Spain
10) Imperial College London
11) CASS business school
12) ESSEC: France
13) St. Gallen
14) Manchester University
15) Rotterdam university

1) University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
2) Texas Austin: Mccombs
3) Maryland: Smith
4) Vanderbilt: owen
5) Washington st. louis: Olin
6) Georgia Institute of Technology
7) Washington: Foster
8) Rochester: Simon
9) Michigan state univ: broad
10) Purdue: Krannert
11) Texas A&M: Mays
12) Ohio: Fisher
13) Tulane: Freeman
14) Southern California: Marshall
15) George washington
16) Boston college: Carroll
17) Boston university: SOM
18) Brandeis
19) Illinois: Stuart business school
20) Baruch university

P.S: Though I have researched enough on the employment prospects in europe and since the europe markets are not in a very good shape today, I also request your inputs on evaluating Europe v/s US v/s Singapore. Knowing that I kinda screwed up my GMAT, I am not expecting a call from the top universities. Considering all these factors, which of the above universities are safe to apply and which ones are too ambitious? Nevertheless, I want to take my chances and looking for an opinion to help optimize them. Also, I have second thoughts that I should wait for a year, retake GMAT meanwhile, develop some further credentials and hence strengthen the profile. Kindly suggest.

Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Please evaluate my profile: MS in Finance program candidate [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 09:06
Expert's post
I don’t know offhand all the latest stats for the array of MiF programs. However, I can give you some guidance in how to view your chances at various levels of programs.

While GMAT isn’t everything, you can use it to frame which programs are reasonable reaches and which are on-pars. First, research the average GMATs for your programs of interest. As a ROUGH guide, those with average GMATs of 670 -690 would be reasonable reaches, those with average GMATs in the 630-670 range would be on-pars, and those with lower GMATs would be safeties. Why this range? Your 690 will get a little less weight than its actual number because of your relatively low GPA plus your being part of an over-represented group (this is less of an issue though than for MBA programs, but still a factor on the margins). I note again this is only a rough framework, and other factors may come into play.

My guide to evaluating your candidacy objectively and selecting programs accordingly might be of help – though it’s targeted to MBA applicants, the same principles apply.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog