Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile +question about rolling admission [#permalink]
thanks a lot for your reply, mate

with "ding" you mean not accept, right? damn...

so my gpa and graduation score (I know it's a bachelor in economics but it's cum laude ffs!) and a good gmat score don't count that much without work experience? I was hoping that my academic records + a good GMAT would count a bit more... well, I'll try and we'll see!

so about MiFs with rolling admissions.. do you think I should start the application process right away even if I'll get my IELTS resutls on the 3rd and i haven't taken the GMAT yet? (about that, i was thinking about taking it on the 14th of february, that would give me enough time to apply to the MiF at Aalto University (Helsinki, Finland) as well.. btw do you know if the MiF at Aalto is any good? is it hard to get in?)

what about other good MiFs in europe which are not as selective as LSE, HEC or Saïd?

good luck with your application to Bocconi, I just checked the website because I was scared when you told me you'll ahve the results so soon... but then I checked and the application procedure is different for international applicants, I'm Italian, so the 1st round deadline is on the 12th of march, and the results will be given on the 27th.

Maybe they have a reserved number of places for international students... again, good luck with that, and let me know how it goes!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@KULCE thanks to you too ^^

hmm.. extracurriculars? I didn't knwo they cared much about that...I do a lot of extracurricular activity, electronic music production, martial arts, photography... i guess i'll have to mention this in my cv and motivation letter, huh?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Like I said, I think they're big on diversity. Try to mention extra curriculars where you made a difference to an organization or took leadership initiatives. It's no guarantee, because from what I've heard they are very selective. I just wanted to mention that I don't think financial experience is an absolute must. But you will have to convince them of the fact that you will bring something to the program. So I'd say just being in a martial arts club isn't enough. You'd have to show leadership and other skills through these activities.

In my case, I didn't have any formal internships, but I did take on leading roles in a lot of organizations. I do think an internship can really help your case, but you can show your worth in other ways too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see. Well I was national light contact sanda juniores -80kg champion when I was 17 xD.... wonder if they would be impressed by that :P

Another related question... I'm currently working as an English language teacher for children... do you think this kind of work experience would be considered positively in the application process? Since it's not relevant to finance I was thinking about not mentioning it at all, but now that I know that some schools even consider extracurricular activities maybe I should include it in my CV...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I had practically nothing related to finance on my application (I don't have a business background, I'm from the exact sciences). Winner of a business game is about it. Though I do think it can be an advantage to have some experience in finance.

Anyway, I think any achievement can count just as long as you clearly show what skills you gained from it. Don't mention irrelevant things, but turn them into stories that show how the achievement was important. Figure out what makes you fit for their program and why you think they should choose you, then find experiences that show these things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Please evaluate my profile +question about rolling admission [#permalink]
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 03 Feb 2012, 19:43.
Last edited by omnikey on 24 Apr 2015, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alexgmd wrote:
davidecibel wrote:
let me know how it goes!

I got in in the 1st selection round. Waiting for the decision on the scholarship application. Nonetheless, I'm not too happy about their mandatory payment for the first installment by end of February (2000eur), which they reimburse only in October-November, in case I withdraw from the program before May

congratulations on the admission!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
Send PM
Hey,

I am pretty much in the same both as you, applying for masters in finance and also in management. I have applied for SSE as well and looking at the some of the schools you are looking at as well.

Maybe you should have a look at St. Gallen, Imperial and Cranfield as well. Should be good schools, and the two later do not consider the GMAT, whether that would be beneficial or not.

How is GMAT prepping working out for you, have you booked it yet? I am going for my 2nd attempt in the 14 of March, scored a 650 on the first, but hopefully I can reach 700 this time.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 05 Feb 2012, 05:16.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No change! They told me you can expect an answer in March!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 05 Feb 2012, 05:23.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alright, good luck! Have you/are you applying anywhere else and what's your first choice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 05 Feb 2012, 05:29.
Last edited by omnikey on 24 Apr 2015, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok, got my IELTS results yesterday, overall 8.5 (and I'm quite disappointed about the 8.0 in the speaking section - I really thought it was a piece of cake and to be honest, I deserved a 9. With a 9 I would have scored an overall 9 since I got 9 in the reading section, 8.5 in the listening and 8 in the writing one).

Now I have to decide when to schedule the GMAT.

I took my first GMATprep test yesterday evening, except for the fact that I didn't attempt the AWA (haven't started preparing for the AWA at all!), I tried to recreate the exam setting as much as possible: MGMAT test simulation booklet and marker, timed breaks, no disturbances of any kind. Got a 760, Q50, V42, and I actually felt I relatively poorly in the quant section, I got 2 pretty easy questions wrong because I didn't remember a little geometry thing (i mixed up the 30°-60°-90° and the 3-4-5 right triangles, LOL) and had to rush a few questions in the middle of the section as I was behind on time, and that included a completely random guess and an educated guess - got the random one wrong and the educated one right.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Nice prep score! Sound like you do not need much prep at all, good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by omnikey on 05 Feb 2012, 05:45.
Last edited by omnikey on 24 Apr 2015, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alexgmd wrote:
congrats on IELTS! that's a great result!
and you will do just fine on the GMAT, if you got a 760 on GMATprep.
btw, SSE needs GMAT to be taken by Feb. 7th. Otherwise, I think you will be counted as late applicant.

yeah I know that, but unfortunately I'm gonna be considered a late applicant anyways because the IELTS results dealine was on the 1st and I receveid my scores on the 3rd.. also I didn't mail them yet because of the stupid 'weather emergency' (aka: SNOW) here in Rome :/ so I was thinkngi about taking the GMAT on the 14th so I have enough time to practice on the AWA and take some additional CATs to get used to the time constraint and improve my performance
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts