Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Evaluate My Profile/Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Please Evaluate My Profile/Questions [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 20:13
Background
Sex: Male
Nationality: American
UG: International Business Major at good liberal arts school (GPA: 3.6, +1 year study abroad in Hong Kong)
GMAT: 680 (slightly higher quant) AWA - 6
Post-Grad: Attended Intensive Mandarin Chinese Language School for 1 Year in Taiwan after 2 years working in Finance in USA (now proficient to business level)

Work Experience
-4.5 years at tiime of enrollment in Fall 2011
- First few months spent at Morgan Stanley ( where I had been a intern 20 hours/week my last year of college)
-1 year at Morgan Stanley (Foreign Exchange Operations) - not many stories coming from here, first FT job and left after a year
-1 year at JP Morgan ( Foreign Exchange Trading) - more substantial accomplishments with one of my Rec letters coming from supervisor
- 1 year (so far) teaching English in Hong Kong - current job, lots of stories, good leadership and impact

Extracurricular Activities/Leadership Experience
Undergrad
-Intern at Morgan Stanley for 20 hours/week during senior year, turned into a FT job after graduation
-Volunteer in Hong Kong at an After-School Centre (10 hours/week) good impact on people, org.

Post Undergrad
- Acculturation Mentor in Baltimore, MD, not consistent time-wise, but helped two families get used to life in USA
- Chapter member of China based Microfinance organization, helped organize events, do Chinese translation work, raise money

Other
Extensive Travel
Have spent a total of 3 years in Asia (currently) + strong Asia focus with Mandarin ability
Moved away from home at age 13 to do acting in Los Angeles (cast in network TV show, commercials)
Applied last year to INSEAD but was dinged without an explanation why

Target Schools
Yale
NYU
Duke
HKUST
Berkeley
Wharton

Questions
1. I haven't held one job for more than 2 years. Not a result of poor performance, but of me pursuing better opportunities and my strong desire to start my career in Asia. After two years in Finance in the USA, I moved to Taiwan to study Mandarin and then to Hong Kong where I currently teach English (the goal was to get back into banking, but the market has been pretty tough). How will my career progression affect my candidacy?

2. My "stats" are pretty average. Will my somewhat unique background be enough to distinguish me at top schools?

3. Could you suggest some safety schools that would be relevant internationally and aide in connecting me with employers in Asia?

4. My goal after MBA is to launch a financial career in Asia. I have been considering retaking the GMAT or starting the CFA exam. Do you have any advice here?

Thanks very much for your time!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: Please Evaluate My Profile/Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 13:15
Expert's post
Hi ccl6262,

To answer your questions:

1. It definitely is a risk if you look like a "job hopper" or a dilettante who can't stay in one place for very long. Also, what really matters more than your job title or listed responsibilities is the impact that you've had on every organization. The more you move around, the harder it is to show a real impact on any one company/organization. So, I would say this is a potential weakness that you will have to present the right way. This is something that we help clients do all the time.

2. Your background is interesting but not so much that admissions officers will look past a so-so GMAT score or a confusing work history. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but don't overestimate how much one strength may overcome a weakness in another part of your application!

3. Even though you've been dinged by INSEAD, its Singapore connections make it almost a no-brainer for you try again.

4. Right now you should be fully focused on the GMAT. The CFA will only help you a small amount in getting into a top-ranked MBA program (and then getting a great banking job). I'd rather you get a 20-40 point better GMAT score than earn a CFA.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews